Time sensitive package stuck in Customs for 10 days - help!

dcnx

The chances they can lose a registered package are 1 to 10000

The courier service like FedEx, TNT, UPS is recommended only for non dutable items (documents, small gifts).

I take it you are trying to be funny or you are just an apologist. Anyone that has lived here long enough and uses the post office regularly knows that many things go missing, are held to garner a payment or are simply taken by the workers. Try reading all the posts on thai post and what has happened over the years to others. They are good when things are done properly but unfortunately that doesnt happen all the time, an extra payment for your goods to be actually delivered is common place, if they think they can hit you up they will. I know people that have had their registered items signed for by the delivery person and then kept/sold and when caught they get no punishment or made to replace the items stolen, dont even lose their jobs.

I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and I am receiving a few dozen packages by Thailand Post every month.

So I know what I am talking about.

so do I,in the last year 2 visa cards went missing, went to the PO and was told by the staff to have them sent in plain packaging as the staff will take them if they realize its from a bank, then the pin numbers were interfered with as well, vert shoddy job of sticking the envelopes and the covers back down, luckily the bank had cancelled all of them, a mate had several parcels not delivered so got the next one registered, that also went missing and when he went to the PO, they said it had been signed for but it wasnt his signature, was the postmans, he had been taking and selling all the goods from the packages, didnt lose his job, didnt have to replace or pay compensation, this is thai post. Trying to base what happens all over the country from only what happens to you doesnt stack up, try reading all the complaining posts about the post and see, thai post has more than just your local PO, a few dozen parcels every month, really have to wonder at that statement too.

I hate to be a wet blanket ,but i had this problem a few years ago , they just tried to get money out of me ,more than the stuff was worth , in the end i told them to put it where the monkey puts his nuts , never send anything with any of the carriers ,only normal post

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

Never send any goods to Thailand by DHL, Fedex, TNT, UPS, EMS, etc.

USPS priority post is not recommended as the packages are handled by EMS customs in Bangkok.

They like to extort money from foreigners.

Only send by ordinary Air Mail Registered.

I've read this from other people, but I have the exact opposite experience... I have had multiple packages lost when sending USPS priority and regular mail to thailand. Because there is no legit tracking system, the tracking simply stops updating and no one on either the US or Thai side will help me. This is sending real packages with purchased items in it and also just plain old envelope containing my regular mail.

I now exclusively use DHL and Fedex and have yet to have a problem with 10 packages sent. Arrives timely and because of the intimate tracking, I've never had a package lost. Perhaps I'm lucky that I haven't gotten any weird outrageous customs fees like other people have reported, but even if that happens it will be a hell of a lot better than the package just dropping off the face of the planet.

Edited by dia1

If you believe what USPS or any post office in the world tells you you are far to have understood life !

USPS just like anybody else dpes not know anything more than what the tracking number is showing.

If your tracking number shows that your parcel is at customs, it is at customs.

If the tracking number shows nothing you cannot know and nobody can know !

I hate to be a wet blanket ,but i had this problem a few years ago , they just tried to get money out of me ,more than the stuff was worth , in the end i told them to put it where the monkey puts his nuts , never send anything with any of the carriers ,only normal post

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

USPS priority post is not recommended as the packages are handled by EMS customs in Bangkok.

But if time sensitive better FedEx, TNT, UPS....at least they don't loose it.

According to my experience Thailand Post is one of the best postal services in the world..

The chances they can lose a registered package are 1 to 10000

The courier service like FedEx, TNT, UPS is recommended only for non dutable items (documents, small gifts).

I once sent some magazines from Oz to Ko Chang.18 months later after several trips to K Ch,mate thanked me for the mags.At 1st i didn't know what he was on about.then i remembered.18 months,and a lot of postmarks,but it made it.

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

I've read this from other people, but I have the exact opposite experience... I have had multiple packages lost when sending USPS priority and regular mail to thailand. Because there is no legit tracking system, the tracking simply stops updating and no one on either the US or Thai side will help me. This is sending real packages with purchased items in it and also just plain old envelope containing my regular mail.

I now exclusively use DHL and Fedex and have yet to have a problem with 10 packages sent. Arrives timely and because of the intimate tracking, I've never had a package lost. Perhaps I'm lucky that I haven't gotten any weird outrageous customs fees like other people have reported, but even if that happens it will be a hell of a lot better than the package just dropping off the face of the planet.

At the place it you sent it, you must tell it is lost and you want to claim compensation than the process of investigation starts.

Only asking them about it doesn't help.

Been there twice, they can't help. Even went to Customs here in Chiang Mai, also, no help. They sent me to the post office, who says they can't find it because it is not showing in the Thai system yet, but USPS has confirmed Customs has it.

Incredibly frustrating.

How do you speed up something already en-route?

Pop a pill, have a beer, cut the grass, walk the dog, reflect on the middle east situation or even a 'Donald Trump White House'. You go so far as to say something nice to the wife for a reaction!

Sorry to be direct on topic, but given it is "time sensitive" it is what it is now and expediencies this time are merely lessons for next time. Relax or take a xanax. Good luck in the result.

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

I send and receive, letters, documents, Frozen Food with USP, and Fed EX 30 times each year. You can Track online if you have the Tracking number. Easy, but more expensive. But if it is Time Sensitive then money should not matter ! You get what you pay for !!

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

At the place it you sent it, you must tell it is lost and you want to claim compensation than the process of investigation starts.

Yes, this works sometimes. I actually did have to file a claim for a lost USPS package that I bought through an ecommerce place. Instead they just resent the package DHL in which it arrived fine.

However another time I lost a package via regular mail was when was just fowarding regular mail, which unfortunately included my driver's license renewal, replacements for expired credit cards and a bunch of tax documents. During the tracking process it just stopped. Talking to USPS, Thai mail, and customs brought up nothing. They put a "trace" on the package but after another week I just got an email saying that regular mail was not guaranteed and I would've had to upgrade to express service to have guaranteed delivery, blah blah blah.

On that note, I did just get a USPS package in the mail, so sometimes they do make it through. It took about 4x longer than DHL. I suspect a lot of people here are british or from other countries, so perhaps the regular mail connection from other countries to Thailand is better. For Americans, I fear it is slow and unreliable.

Maybe it's related to the recent holiday and coming Xmas. I receive regularly goods from China using a Chinese courrier company. Three weeks ago I received an expensive machine (worth more $1,500) without delay. This time I'm waiting for spare parts worth less than $100 for more than one week. Same explanation as the OP, stuck in the custom.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Yes, that is correct.

The worst one is DHL.

Yes, this works sometimes. I actually did have to file a claim for a lost USPS package that I bought through an ecommerce place. Instead they just resent the package DHL in which it arrived fine.

However another time I lost a package via regular mail was when was just fowarding regular mail, which unfortunately included my driver's license renewal, replacements for expired credit cards and a bunch of tax documents. During the tracking process it just stopped. Talking to USPS, Thai mail, and customs brought up nothing. They put a "trace" on the package but after another week I just got an email saying that regular mail was not guaranteed and I would've had to upgrade to express service to have guaranteed delivery, blah blah blah.

On that note, I did just get a USPS package in the mail, so sometimes they do make it through. It took about 4x longer than DHL. I suspect a lot of people here are british or from other countries, so perhaps the regular mail connection from other countries to Thailand is better. For Americans, I fear it is slow and unreliable.

I recall once my mother started an investigation (so called in German) at the Austrian post office and the lost the investigation so she had to start an investigation where the investigation went crazy.gif

Time: months.....

Maybe it's related to the recent holiday and coming Xmas. I receive regularly goods from China using a Chinese courrier company. Three weeks ago I received an expensive machine (worth more $1,500) without delay. This time I'm waiting for spare parts worth less than $100 for more than one week. Same explanation as the OP, stuck in the custom.

what I get from China also has a outgoing customs check what can be problematic.

If you have not already done so i would recommend you talk with USPS Customer services, they will have more detailed tracking information (certainly as far as it being received and scanned into Thailand is concerned) than you will find on any website.

USPS tracking is worthless here as it is not tied into the Thai EMS system, even though the tracking numbering system is the same. USPS does not know that "the package is with customs." Once something leaves Los Angeles, that's it. It's in the wind.

This is not correct the Universal Postal Union has a shared tracking site amongst the vast majority of its member countries including both the USPS and Thailand Post. They will have tracking information that you will not find on a website. USPS will know the flight/s that the package should have travelled to Thailand on and they will also know the numbers of all the other registered packages that travelled on that flight. They will also know whether or not Thailand Post have signed for that packet or for others on the same flight. If the package does not arrive the sender can make a compensation claim from USPS, if Thailand Post cannot demonstrate that they have signed for the packet then they will be required (by UPU rules) to compensate USPS.

USPS tracking is worthless here as it is not tied into the Thai EMS system, even though the tracking numbering system is the same. USPS does not know that "the package is with customs." Once something leaves Los Angeles, that's it. It's in the wind.

This is not correct the Universal Postal Union has a shared tracking site amongst the vast majority of its member countries including both the USPS and Thailand Post. They will have tracking information that you will not find on a website. USPS will know the flight/s that the package should have travelled to Thailand on and they will also know the numbers of all the other registered packages that travelled on that flight. They will also know whether or not Thailand Post have signed for that packet or for others on the same flight. If the package does not arrive the sender can make a compensation claim from USPS, if Thailand Post cannot demonstrate that they have signed for the packet then they will be required (by UPU rules) to compensate USPS.

They sure didn't have this information when I lost my packages. In fact, they stated to me both times "sometimes the scanner doesn't work or a scan is missed" and since it's not a guaranteed service, they have no idea where the package is. They didn't know if my package was in Thailand or in the US.

what I get from China also has a outgoing customs check what can be problematic.

Custom in Chin is pretty straightforward. If your documents are in order, there is no problem. In 20 years never had to offer an "incentive" to have a custom officer doing its job.