Oops...computer malfunction.

IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif An amusing story from New York.

Qatar Airlines is starting a new A380 service on 1 January from New York to Doha.

They arranged a flight for a number of reporters to show off their new luxury aircraft they intended to use on that route.

During the take off process the flight control system on the new A380 apparently did an emergency shutdown procedure of the Take-Off.

The Giant plane applied full reverse and full brakes as it was supposed to in an emergency take-off abort....slowing the plane from 100 miles per hour to a full stop in 20 seconds.

It appears that some one entered the wrong data into the flight computer and seriously understated the length of the runway.

This caused the flight computer to trigger an automatic abort as the flight control system ordered an emergency shut down of the take-off as it knew the plane could not safely take off in that runway distance.

Unfortunately, Qatar Airlines had invited many airline industry reporters to fly on this demo take off to cover the event.

So we now can verify that the computers on the A380 can in fact stop the plane if necessary in an emergency.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Look this topic up on Google News

Wrong title biggrin.png

It appears that some one entered the wrong data into the flight computer and seriously understated the length of the runway.

GIGO

garbage in, garbage out

Computer worked perfectly.

What makes me nervous: if the lenght of the runway has been entered too long and the plane HAS a malfunction whistling.gif

Doublecheck!

Add to the checklist!

Edited by KhunBENQ

whistling.gif Update

Qatar Airways is already trying to spin this story with its PR hacks.

Here is part of their latest attempt.

During the return leg from JFK to Doha Thursday night, the chartered flight of 36 media guests had a minor mishap. According to accounts of those on board, the plane came to an abrupt halt while attempting to take off. The aborted takeoff occurred as the plane reached about 100 miles per hour. Some passengers were even watching a live video feed from the plane’s tail cam as it happened.

Apparently, a glitch in the plane’s computers thought the runway was too short for takeoff, and applied the brakes on its own. It remains to be seen if this is a result of a data error that was entered by the pilots prior to departure. The plane was not damaged and there were no injuries.

The worst that happened was that the pillows and blankets on each seat ended up on the floor as a result of the abrupt stop. The plane departed again two hours later, after a brief inspection and a cool-off period for the brakes. The landing in Doha about 12 hours later was without incident.

Yeah.

whistling.gif Update

Qatar Airways is already trying to spin this story with its PR hacks.

Here is part of their latest attempt.

During the return leg from JFK to Doha Thursday night, the chartered flight of 36 media guests had a minor mishap. According to accounts of those on board, the plane came to an abrupt halt while attempting to take off. The aborted takeoff occurred as the plane reached about 100 miles per hour. Some passengers were even watching a live video feed from the plane’s tail cam as it happened.

Apparently, a glitch in the plane’s computers thought the runway was too short for takeoff, and applied the brakes on its own. It remains to be seen if this is a result of a data error that was entered by the pilots prior to departure. The plane was not damaged and there were no injuries.

The worst that happened was that the pillows and blankets on each seat ended up on the floor as a result of the abrupt stop. The plane departed again two hours later, after a brief inspection and a cool-off period for the brakes. The landing in Doha about 12 hours later was without incident.

Yeah.

According to accounts of those on board, the plane came to an abrupt halt while attempting to take off.

That wording could imply to some that maybe the event didn't even happen....all we have to go on is the accounts of some.

Yeap, spin-doctoring they are doing.

Maybe you should look it up on Google, it was the new A350XWB.

A friend of a friend told me that the pilots were late and still checking in when the plane took off too early. Source: My friend's friend. facepalm.gif

I know there is a degree of automation, but are you saying the plane tried to take off without them?

Just imagine, a plane that thinks for itself.

stealth-2005-movie-poster.jpg

Edited by Chicog

According to accounts of those on board, the plane came to an abrupt halt while attempting to take off.

The worst that happened was that the pillows and blankets on each seat ended up on the floor as a result of the abrupt stop.

I think better to come an abrupt halt while attempting take off ...than to come to an abrupt halt while attempting landing.

So, what is it these days:

Push a button, talk off.

Push a button, land.

Push a button, but the seat refuses to recline.

It`s not like as played out in films, when on planes and spacecraft there is a computer malfunction and the captain says, quick, put her on manual drive, because in real life there is no manual override systems installed. This is the down side of automatic systems and computer technology. The problem is modern societies have become too dependent on electronic technologies that will probably be our downfall in the future.

It`s not like as played out in films, when on planes and spacecraft there is a computer malfunction and the captain says, quick, put her on manual drive, because in real life there is no manual override systems installed.

Not quite true, for Airbus at least. They have three modes called "laws": normal, alternate and direct.

In direct law, pilots have full control over the aircraft.

In alternate law, some protections imposed by the computers (against dangerous pilot actions) are absent.

In normal law, automation decides what to do, which actuators to move and by how much based on the pilot's directions ordered through the various controls (control sticks, altitude and speed selectors...).

It's fairly easy to force the aircraft to alternate law as has been demonstrated in the Air Asia accident. Pulling just two power breakers did it.

I suppose that pulling many of them would eventually be able to bring the aircraft into direct law, with possible other disastrous side effects.

Anyway, there is no (AFAIK) official, documented procedure to change the aircraft from normal law to another one. Only failures of the computers or inconsistent, irreconcilable data being read from sensors can do so. Which is what's is supposed to be IMO.

This is the down side of automatic systems and computer technology. The problem is modern societies have become too dependent on electronic technologies that will probably be our downfall in the future.

Well, agreed 100%. There are just too many accidents taking place demonstrating that pilots seem to have become unable to keep an aircraft in the air without all the automation to rely on.

Edited by Lannig

Qatar have a bit of a bad record, one of their aeroplanes battered the lights on takeoff and they didn't even notice all the damage they'd done to the aircraft.

Where?

When?

I think you have the wrong airline

Your google foo is weak, old man.

blogs.crikey.com.au | BEN SANDILANDS | DEC 12, 2015 7:29AM
DohaNews | By VICTORIA SCOTT | December 8, 2015

Qatar have a bit of a bad record, one of their aeroplanes battered the lights on takeoff and they didn't even notice all the damage they'd done to the aircraft.

Where?

When?

Qatar Airways incidents send it screeching into PR, safety crises

Pilot error likely cause of damage to Qatar Airways plane in Miami

Thank you. I stand corrected.

All the Middle East "new" airlines suffer from growing too fast too quickly. I thought Qatar was an exception.

Bang goes my favorite airline!

Edited by maprao

Where?

When?

Try and keep up mate.

A Qatar Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A7-BAC performing flight QR-778 from Miami,FL (USA) to Doha (Qatar), departed Miami’s runway 09 but struck the approach lights runway 27 during departure. Both tower, departure controllers as well as crew maintained routine communication. The aircraft continued to destination for a landing without further incident about 13.5 hours later.

On Sep 17th 2015 the FAA reported the aircraft struck approach lights on departure from Miami and continued to destination. The aircraft received substantial damage to its belly, the occurrence was rated an accident.

Where?

When?

Qatar Airways incidents send it screeching into PR, safety crises

Pilot error likely cause of damage to Qatar Airways plane in Miami

Thank you. I stand corrected.

All the Middle East suffer from growing too fast too quickly. I thought Qatar was an exception.

One of their screamliners caught fire at Doha as well.

For the next year they would only use it to do hops to Bahrain and back.