Canadian, Bulgarian arrested in Chiang Mai with 115 fake ATM cards

webfact

Could any1 shed some light on just how the bank detected the fake cards? just curious.....

Probably through the credit card company getting a notification from a bank who had a transaction queried by a customer.

If anything goes out of my account nowadays, I get an SMS straight away.

"Ivan Todorov Ivanov". Sounds like a real Canadian name to me!!!

you do realize that Canada was built on immigration just like the US.

That means immigrants from all over the world not just Smith and Jones!!

Unless your name is sitting bull or crazy horse, then you are likely either an immigrant or an ancestor of an immigrant.

But maybe this guy just has a fake Canadian passport.It is noted that Canada has some of the most liberal immigration laws in the western world.

Good that they were caught in thailand.Hopefully they will serve a few years in a hell hole thai prison,where as if caught in canad with our bleeding heart liberal judge's and people they would do easy time with only a six month to one year in jail that is a place of leasure with all the conveniences of home and more.Hope the thai judge comes down really hard on these scum bag's.

this guy gives Canada a bad name

when he gets out, strip him of his citizenship or whatever status he has, revoke his passport and deport him back to where ever he came from

but nooooo, not politically correct

especially with the new pussy running Canada now

something people need to be aware of, is that sure these <deleted> can scam your card details with a scammer fitted to an ATM machine,

BUT they need your pin number to be able to withdraw your money with the fake card they make, or they get nothing from you...

BE MORE AWARE OF COVERING YOU HAND WHEN PUTTING IN YOUR PIN NUMBER.. cover your hand and do it by feel so that not even you can see the pin

number as they have a small camera that videos your pin number.. and the cameras are so small you can't see them even if you do look for them...

Just like safe sex, KEEP IT COVERED. haha

The skimmers fit in the card slot and look like they're part of the ATM,very easy to get your card info stolen, a good reason to double check your card stmt every month

557725c1481a7.image.png

The skimmer sends out a signal,, so they don't have to be looking over your shoulder,just close enough to the ATM to pick up the skimmmer's signal.

Edited by Rob13

Could any1 shed some light on just how the bank detected the fake cards? just curious.....

I saw scamming in action on a Sunday in Chiang Mai a few years ago at a Kasakorn bank.

I stood back, when they left with a pile of it I made my withdrawel.

I noted the time and went to the Bank Monday morning and spoke to manager, he said he could look at the cctv, I said the guys b4 me on the film.

I left the Bank did not want to get involved anymore than that.

I have noticed that Kasakorn Banks name pops up a lot when scammers are caught.

A link maybe???

I saw scamming in action on a Sunday in Chiang Mai a few years ago at a Kasakorn bank.

What did they leave a pile of, how do you know they were scamming? Somebody withdrawing money on a fake card would look the same as somebody withdrawing money a legit card.

If somebody knew their account had been compromised and reported it, the bank would flag the card,when someone tried to access the account the bank would be alerted.

Thailand is on a high alert watch list anyway for bank cards,so an alert would be sent for a card being used in Thailand.

I had to tell my US bank where I'd be using my card,and had to go in and sign a waiver when I told them I'd be in Thailand.

Edited by Rob13

As a Canadian I am reluctant to see our new government hastily processing 25,000 applications for Syrian refugees (as promised...to who??)...we need a better controlled system of screening so that scum like Ivan the Terrible and potentially some hidden ISIS member never get to call my country home

Probably from Quebec. whistling.gif

How typical. One guy suggests no true-blue Canuk would do such a scummy thing, the second (probably from Alberta, Canada's Baaabel Belt), covers all basis and suggests if it IS a scummy Canuk, he's from Quebec).

Irony is that both prove dimwitted, moronic tribalism is alive in Canada as anywhere else.

Excellent response - as it is very unlikely that "Ivan Todorov Ivanov" affiliated with "Pavel Plamenov Petrov", seemingly from Bulgaria, speaks any French, while most other "Canucks" from the rest of Canada seem limited to the English language... Really liked the portion : "prove dimwitted, moronic tribalism is alive in Canada as anywhere else." Thank's !

Sadly when a country opens its doors to immigrants and refugees like Canada does you have to take the good with the bad. I can understand to some degree the Donald's wish to have proper vetting of new arrivals. Once they leave their port of entry they are GONE!

Donald is a pompous dill.You don't think they check properly now.If a human touches it there are bound to be mistakes,nothing is 100% perfect

they are still coming into the country and no apparent check on them immigration must get its act together and check every person coming into the country these two people came into the country bringing with them the fake atm cards so no check on luggage.

Could have been posted to them.If they started checking everybody luggage you would be the 1st to complain about holdups at customs.

Probably through the credit card company getting a notification from a bank who had a transaction queried by a customer.

If anything goes out of my account nowadays, I get an SMS straight away.

As soon as money is withdrawn from a non nominated country,alarm bells go off and customer is rung up.Especially Thailand.

Good that they were caught in thailand.Hopefully they will serve a few years in a hell hole thai prison,where as if caught in canad with our bleeding heart liberal judge's and people they would do easy time with only a six month to one year in jail that is a place of leasure with all the conveniences of home and more.Hope the thai judge comes down really hard on these scum bag's.

We never,ever get follow up on these cases,so we are all in the dark.Is it too much to ask TVF to go the extra yard.If the crime is not commit against a Thai national,it is a minor offence.That's why the scammers come here.True or false.

I noted the time and went to the Bank Monday morning and spoke to manager, he said he could look at the cctv, I said the guys b4 me on the film.

I left the Bank did not want to get involved anymore than that.

I have noticed that Kasakorn Banks name pops up a lot when scammers are caught.

A link maybe???

How do you know he was scamming? And then you made your withdrawal,dear me.

this guy gives Canada a bad name

when he gets out, strip him of his citizenship or whatever status he has, revoke his passport and deport him back to where ever he came from

but nooooo, not politically correct

especially with the new pussy running Canada now

The only person that gives Canada a bad name is you.

Would you like me to expand on that?

What did they leave a pile of, how do you know they were scamming? Somebody withdrawing money on a fake card would look the same as somebody withdrawing money a legit card.

If somebody knew their account had been compromised and reported it, the bank would flag the card,when someone tried to access the account the bank would be alerted.

Thailand is on a high alert watch list anyway for bank cards,so an alert would be sent for a card being used in Thailand.

I had to tell my US bank where I'd be using my card,and had to go in and sign a waiver when I told them I'd be in Thailand.

A big clue would be them using several cards back to back.

Which here in the sandpit is not unusual, because the boy in charge of the labour camp often goes to get the wages for a bunch of people under him who are illiterate and don't know how to use ATMs.