UK exit from European Union on a knife edge, poll shows

webfact

UK exit from European Union on a knife edge, as poll shows British public are now 50/50 over leaving
By Peter Dominiczak, Political Editor

LONDON: -- With David Cameron attending a crucial summit in Brussels this week, a poll finds the British public is now evenly split over the prospect of a British exit from the EU.

British voters’ appetite for leaving the European Union is gathering momentum, putting the prospect of Brexit on a knife edge, a new poll has found.

As David Cameron prepares to travel to Brussels for a crucial European summit to discuss his renegotiation plans, a poll has found that the British public is now evenly split about the prospect of a British exit from the EU.

It came as the EU referendum bill last night passed through the House of Lords, meaning that Mr Cameron could potentially hold his vote in June next year.

According to the ICM poll for the Vote Leave campaign, when undecided voters are excluded, 50 per cent of voters would choose “Brexit”.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12050477/UK-exit-from-European-Union-on-a-knife-edge-as-poll-shows-British-public-are-now-5050-over-leaving.html

-- The Telegraph 2015-12-15

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These 'little Englanders' - how I hate them! Neo-fascist supporters of UKIP, doubtless! That should get me some unwarranted responses, I sincerely hope!

The EU - one of the greatest political and economic unions of all time and the dear 'little Englanders' think that the UK is still the centre of the universe and can 'go it alone' in the fight against terrorism and economic survival.

Bird brains - all of them!

These 'little Englanders' - how I hate them! Neo-fascist supporters of UKIP, doubtless! That should get me some unwarranted responses, I sincerely hope!

The EU - one of the greatest political and economic unions of all time and the dear 'little Englanders' think that the UK is still the centre of the universe and can 'go it alone' in the fight against terrorism and economic survival.

Words fail me. Dinosaurs still exist.

You forgot to add "In my humble opinion". At least 50% disagree with you.

What a complete load of useless abusive drivel . And you call them bird brains . You are one evil sick dog . Did you forget your medicine today or have you been on the white whisky ?

Europe started out with good intentions but is now sick with beaurocracy and badly run poor nations being allowed to join and drag the EEC down. It cannot survive in its present form and uk is forcing them to change it for the better or uk will leave .

Are you calling

Switzerland

Norway

Iceland

and a few more small principalities Neo-facists and bird brains as they are not in the eec and i am sure not many of them are in ukip. Better to engage your brain before you post

Is everyone in England stupid or something. Can you imagine a union taking a strike vote to

strengthen the bargaining hand of its representatives and the vote is not decisive. No need to

bargain with these bozos for the changes they want to make. There in and not leaving. coffee1.gif

The UK have been using the "threat" of exit for some time to extort special treatment within the EU.

Either leave already or live by the rules and stop this circus show.

Indeed. Britain's temper tantrums and jingoistic, xenophobic behaviour over Europe is embarrassing, particularly from the Press, with the Daily Mail the worst offender.

You are welcome to it, to the curtailment of freedom of speech and suffocating regulations from unelected Eurocrats, whilst third world culture enrichers dismantle what was once a free prosperous and secular life.

Cameron's so-called renegotiations are worthless, and the process is bogus. The EU will give some meaningless concessions and Cameron will leap in the air declaring victory. Do you seriously think the Eurozone will give a de facto veto to Britain over Eurozone economic policy...yes they will give him some nice words but if it comes down to the interests of EZ or Britain, it will be EZ every day of the week. How come no one has every told us how much are spent on in-work EU migrant benefits each year? Because it is a trivial amount of money...peanuts...but he won't get that....he can have all the fancy words he likes but no money...do the Poles want to lose the money their menfolk send home?

Britain will stay in the EU. There will be a full court press with scare stories every time you turn on the news...scare stories about lost jobs...and the scaredy cats will vote to stay in. Besides that Britain's owners, the US will not permit them to leave the EU even if the public vote to leave. If they do summon up the courage to vote to leave, then there will be another referendum until they give the answer to stay in.

The UK have been using the "threat" of exit for some time to extort special treatment within the EU.

Indeed. Britain's temper tantrums and jingoistic, xenophobic behaviour over Europe is embarrassing, particularly from the Press, with the Daily Mail the worst offender.

Knowing the Daily Hail is against staying in Europe would be enough reason for me to vote to stay in.

Cameron's so-called renegotiations are worthless, and the process is bogus. The EU will give some meaningless concessions and Cameron will leap in the air declaring victory. Do you seriously think the Eurozone will give a de facto veto to Britain over Eurozone economic policy...yes they will give him some nice words but if it comes down to the interests of EZ or Britain, it will be EZ every day of the week. How come no one has every told us how much are spent on in-work EU migrant benefits each year? Because it is a trivial amount of money...peanuts...but he won't get that....he can have all the fancy words he likes but no money...do the Poles want to lose the money their menfolk send home?

Britain will stay in the EU. There will be a full court press with scare stories every time you turn on the news...scare stories about lost jobs...and the scaredy cats will vote to stay in. Besides that Britain's owners, the US will not permit them to leave the EU even if the public vote to leave. If they do summon up the courage to vote to leave, then there will be another referendum until they give the answer to stay in.

I think your post is very accurate; and I very much hope it is!

And without Britain (note England is only one of four countries in the UK) you'd probably be speaking German and living under a repressive Nazi EU regime ......... here, old on a minute !

But, a Federal EU, under Mutti Merkel and her puppet Juncke, what could go wrong?

I think your post is very accurate; and I very much hope it is!

Maybe your both smoking the same stuff?

And without Britain (note England is only one of four countries in the UK) you'd probably be speaking German and living under a repressive Nazi EU regime ......... here, old on a minute !

But, a Federal EU, under Mutti Merkel and her puppet Juncke, what could go wrong?

Im sure that I read somewhere that Britain had its arse kicked and then kicked out of euroupe in 1939 leaving the continent via french fishing boats and dingys from dunkirk, it then took them 5 years only after the USA agreed to invade Europe and fight the Nazis.

Typical British mentality to think they won the war single handedly and that all of the other countries that allied with them, were just a nusence getting in their way.

And we all would be speaking German if it werent for Britain..... Dream on......thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rocceao

ont

Cameron is playing his usual hypocracy games,don't forget he didn't want a Referendom in the first place,and it was his Party Mavericks that forced the renegotiation climb down from him! Don't expect the EU to lavish riches on to the UK, we are one of a handful of their biggest contributers. that prop up the whole Shambles of Bankrupt Nations!

Edited by MAJIC

You forgot to add "In my humble opinion". At least 50% disagree with you.

And for me not far from 100% disagree.
The countries have nothing to gain blending in this mess into what became technocratic Europe.
There are many examples to show that those who have conserved their autonomy are healthier today, starting with the UK itself which escapes the torments of Euro.
Facilitated exchanges with all-out we will to a smoothing of cultures and peculiarities. I believe sincerely that any measures to mitigate this fatality are good and the output of Europe is one.
IMHO... smile.png

"The EU - one of the greatest political and economic unions of all time"

More like the biggest scroungers free Party of all time,most of the member states don't come anywhere near paying their way,it's a massive bankrupts feeding trough!

We should cut our losses and get out now! and start spending our money on our own country and people,instead of the handout freeby Brigade!

"The EU - one of the greatest political and economic unions of all time"

More like the biggest scroungers free Party of all time,most of the member states don't come anywhere near paying their way,it's a massive bankrupts feeding trough!

We should cut our losses and get out now! and start spending our money on our own country and people,instead of the handout freeby Brigade!

By the way you didn't say what country you are from? I suspect you have more of a personal interest than you are disclosing?

Well said sir!

Frankly I blame the current situation on the almost complete lack of a pro- Europe campaign.

Being inside the European tent pissing out rather than being outside and pissing in must be obvious to all but red top readers

What a complete load of useless abusive drivel . And you call them bird brains . You are one evil sick dog . Did you forget your medicine today or have you been on the white whisky ?

Europe started out with good intentions but is now sick with beaurocracy and badly run poor nations being allowed to join and drag the EEC down. It cannot survive in its present form and uk is forcing them to change it for the better or uk will leave .

Are you calling

Switzerland

Norway

Iceland

and a few more small principalities Neo-facists and bird brains as they are not in the eec and i am sure not many of them are in ukip. Better to engage your brain before you post

How unpleasant

I dealt with you uninformed types some time ago

Do you really need me to spell it out?

Read The Economist

You can be embarrassed if you want, but like it or not this is deadly serious !

You can be embarrassed if you want, but like it or not this is deadly serious !

I agree. The UK leaving the EU would be deadly serious with frightening implications for the UK's future. Which is why I believe, at the end of the day, common sense will prevail.