Alcohol Advertising Ban May Be Enforced Next Week

george

Alcohol advertising ban may be enforced next week

BANGKOK: -- The ban on above-the-line alcohol advertising could come sooner rather than later - even next week - as the Public Health Ministry dusts off a law to issue a decree, while ad agencies mourn the loss of a prime source of billings.

The only possible exception would be for advertising in "live" TV sports shows, Dr Narong Sahamethapat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said yesterday.

New Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla wants to give top priority to this issue while the bill to completely ban alcohol advertising as well as zone the sales of alcohol waits to be passed into law, Narong told The Nation in a telephone interview.

Section 24 of the Consumer Protection Act of 1979 gives the "Committee of Advertisement" the power to issue orders to restrict or prohibit the advertising of goods that may be harmful to consumers, he said.

A ministerial directive would be prepared and the details, including the date it actually takes effect, should be finalised by next week when Mongkol approves its issuance, he said.

Such an abrupt change would hurt the advertising business for sure, said Chaipranin Visudhipol, former chairman of the Advertising Association of Thailand.

More than half of the Bt1-billion annual advertising budget for alcoholic beverages was usually spent in the last quarter of the year, he said.

And if the alcoholic beverage companies were forced to withdraw their advertisements, the ones that would suffer would be the media, he said.

The impact of the ban would vary according to its scope, he said.

If it also covers below-the-line activities such as give-aways or sales promotions at the point of purchase, the situation would become like the one cigarette companies found themselves in.

Then posters, signs and other materials would be pulled off and young women working at restaurants and bars to promote the sales of alcohol would lose their jobs.

If it extends to sponsorship by alcoholic beverage firms, many sports events particularly live telecasts of foreign sports would be greatly affected, not to mention the sports stars hired as presenters.

--TNA 2006-11-12

Then posters, signs and other materials would be pulled off and young women working at restaurants and bars to promote the sales of alcohol would lose their jobs.

I was not going to comment on this but this falls in the :o Category. If a person goes into a bar, what do they go there for? “We can’t tell you what we have but your welcome to guess.” :D

maybe the bars and other dispensers will adopt the old Scottish Football Supporter stand-by which is to empty a bottle of whiskey into a container and then use a syringe to inject the contents into a nice orange which then can then be anonymously! sucked at leisure (and of course avoid the liquor police).

:o How silly. When we lived in the Emirates we always got round the ramadhan or time gentlemen please stopping by drinking our chosen bevvy out of a teapot when sitting at the hotel pool.

I feel sorriest for the beer pretties (as I understand them to be known) why should they lose their jobs. GRRRRRR :D

At the end of the day they are banning the advertising of a dangerous and addictive drug, there's no reason to complain really.

I think though Tots the drinks will still be up at the bar on show, crazy if not (not that craziness stops them usually!). After all you have to be a certain age to go in a bar, its not like the cigarette thing where every kid that goes to a 7/11 counter can see the ciggys on display for sale.

I think though Tots the drinks will still be up at the bar on show, crazy if not (not that craziness stops them usually!). After all you have to be a certain age to go in a bar, its not like the cigarette thing where every kid that goes to a 7/11 counter can see the ciggys on display for sale.

Well... does that mean then that in 7-11 etc.. alcohol will not be able to be displayed.. same as cigarettes..? :o

totster :D

At the end of the day they are banning the advertising of a dangerous and addictive drug, there's no reason to complain really.

Its dangerous and addictive to a minority of people who have a low tolerance or no discipline. Guess what? - These people shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Its about choice and making responsible adult decisions; not being told what to do / think by some Big Brother authoritarian Nanny State.

Yes there is a reason to complain. Advertising pays for most things you take for granted as free.

Why not ban white whisky or reduce the alcohol content of Beer Chang to really make a difference then? Nah, vested interests, m8. :o

Its dangerous and addictive to a minority of people who have a low tolerance or no discipline. Guess what?

Doesn't change the fact that it's a dangerous and addictive drug, and in a country which has a large alchohol problem then I think it's a good 'first step'. Heroins only dangerous for those that have no discipline as well, like most drugs. Would you suggest we have that available so we can make free choice whether to use it or not?

Advertsing pays for things that I take for granted as free, like what exactly?

Important notice from the 'Farang Connection'

Due to the crack down on drinking it will not be possible to purchase small or large bottles now. Beer will only be available by the Vat, wine by the gallon and spirits by the bottle. When ordering the words beer, wine, whisky, gin and other alcaholic beveriges must be omitted from the order. Milk, water, petrol are quite acceptable. The name will also change. From now on it is ' The Farang Connection Stable & Restaurant' All beer mats will be destroyed. Instead you will drink your "milk" on yesterdays copy of the BKK Post. Sorry for this inconveiniance, but rules is rules.

Good question Tots, haven't a clue. :D

I wonder what they are going to do about JW's cheeky 'Drink, don't drive' campaign, biggest advert in the city at the moment slap bang on the side of the Baiyoke tower. I mean, it is a public health warning after all. :o

I am wondering exactly the same thing. It will be interesting to watch each day to see if they focus on it.

Its dangerous and addictive to a minority of people who have a low tolerance or no discipline. Guess what?

Doesn't change the fact that it's a dangerous and addictive drug, and in a country which has a large alchohol problem then I think it's a good 'first step'. Heroins only dangerous for those that have no discipline as well, like most drugs. Would you suggest we have that available so we can make free choice whether to use it or not?

Aside from your own personal disdain for alcohol, you are assuming that other people are not informed enough to make personal choices regarding the consumption of said alcohol. Rather presumtuous of you, no?

Advertising pays for the world around you. And the forum we're posting on. Hope this helps...

Aside from your own personal disdain for alcohol, you are assuming that other people are not informed enough to make personal choices regarding the consumption of said alcohol. Rather presumtuous of you, no?

Advertising pays for the world around you. And the forum we're posting on. Hope this helps...

I have no disdain for alcohol, that's your presumption, I love it actually, but it is a drug, and a dangerous and addictive one at that if not used with responsibilty much like any other drug.

You do realise this thread is not about limiting people's consumption of alcohol, but just stopping the advertsing of it don't you? If not, re read the original post, don't worry, no one is going to take your drug away, they are just stopping the advertising of it.

edit: ok sorry if you was going on about the zoning bit more, I got caught up on the advertising thing. I just took my own advice and re read the original post! Cheers Firefan.

Also, the ban on advertising is just on alcohol, not all advertising for all products will be banned, so I think this forum will survive without it. I can't imagine anything that I take for granted as free will dissapear if alcohol advertising is banned, but I'm sure you can give me some examples?

Edited by bkkmadness

Bkkmadness; seems you overlooked the little tidbit about "zone the sales of alcohol" - it is already piss-annoying to have to remember the times one is allowed to purchase alcohol in the supermarket, but if the closest shops (or even bars?) sudenly are not allowed to sell because they are not in the "zone" then I have to drag my purchases far.

As to advertising I really do not care.

Cheers!(not advertising the beer!)

Bkkmadness; seems you overlooked the little tidbit about "zone the sales of alcohol" - it is already piss-annoying to have to remember the times one is allowed to purchase alcohol in the supermarket, but if the closest shops (or even bars?) sudenly are not allowed to sell because they are not in the "zone" then I have to drag my purchases far.

As to advertising I really do not care.

Cheers!(not advertising the beer!)

Yeah, that is a bit odd about the zoning of sales of alcohol, I expect we'll have to see what they mean about 'zoning' but I can't imagine that alcohol will only be allowed to be bought in certain parts of the city from shops and supermarkets, maybe something about zones for the bars selling though? Perhaps it'll be zoned so that bars and shops can't sell alcohol near schools or whatever. It's a typically vague report regarding the zoning so can hardly comment as yet.

Advertising, who cares, you can't drink billboards. :o

Alcohol advertising ban may be enforced next week

BANGKOK: -- The ban on above-the-line alcohol advertising could come sooner rather than later - even next week - as the Public Health Ministry dusts off a law to issue a decree, while ad agencies mourn the loss of a prime source of billings.

The only possible exception would be for advertising in "live" TV sports shows, Dr Narong Sahamethapat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department said yesterday.

--TNA 2006-11-12

I think that we need to try and get the new cabinet to place the alcohol issue within another department such as the Sports ministry as they have a vested interest, or perhaps the Public Works ministry (specifically road and drainage) as they appear to take their time getting things done...

having it within the public health ministry and specifically under Disease Control Department means that we have Doctors and health people looking at it as opposed to football fans and hard working labourer types who need to quench a thirst.

Ok, I gotta play devils advocate here, the zoning of alcohol, so you can only buy alcohol in certain parts of the city. Is it such a bad idea?

We have seen with many drugs that cause social problems that they are made illegal, but alcohol has escaped the net and still freely available everywhere and probably will be for some time to come.

As everyone knows alcohol doesn't just cause problems for the users of it but also problems for people surrounding those users, even if they don't drink themselves. I see many a night the local motocycle guys grab at a girl when she walks down the soi late at night, and just the other month some young dude was kicked to death by a couple of pissed up lads. I'm not saying there wouldn't have been a problem otherwise, but I'm guessing the alcohol fuelled them up to a point where the beating become lethal and a life was lost.

Some people are scared of walking past a group of drunk lads at night, especially women, and why should they have to be so scared? Alcohol selling and open consumption could be zoned, and the people that wish to avoid drunken loutish/violent behaviour could avoid these areas and live maybe that bit more peacefully in their alcohol free neighbourhoods.

It's impractical and I doubt it will happen, but there are reasonable arguments for zoning it.

There are 100 other more important things that need to be addressed with more urgency than this.

bkkmadness,

You may loose a few things that interest you if the advertising is scrapped. Mainly international sporting events and music events, not sure if this interests you, but both interest me and I would be sad to here that certain events have to be cancelled due to the ban on advertising.

I'll agree with bkkmadness about lots of this issue. Nothing, except for warfare, kills more people than the drinking of alchoholic beverages. By far the most dangerous poison ever made throughout history.

And I, like bkkmadness, thought the opening post was only restricting advertising. There is nothing in the OP that I could see, except for the silly line near the end about the people who advertise alcohol in the bar, that this would affect consumption, or jobs outside the advertising industry.

Do you really drink Johnny Walker because it's wrapped around the Baiyoke Tower sort of saying, "Don't drink me"? Do you drink Coke only because you are never 500 meters away from a Coke ad?

I never took a marketing course in university, so I don't quite believe that everything I do, every thing that I buy, is driven by advertising.

How about if every can of beer had a photo of a drunk in the gutter, drowning in his own vomit, with a sign in Thai that says ALCOHOL KILLS THAIS?

The whole idea is ridiculous.. Governments all over the world seem intent on autocratic rule.

No smoking, no drinking,

Whats next? No sex?

The argument that these drugs can be harmful is unquestionable. However, I think I can make my own decisions, I am afterall an adult. Therefore I dont need some nanny state telling me what is good or bad for me.

Its amusingly ironic, I'm more likely to be killed from breathing the air in Bangkok, crossing the

street, or 'slipping' off my balcony than I am from having a few beers.

I can just imagine what these people are like.. sitting around pontificating about the state of society, smoking fine cuban cigars, whilst they select a pretty girl for a soapy. Perhaps they are interesting in hurting those who have a huge financial interest in alcohol sales.. Whats the guys name who owns Beer Chang?

The world is loosing its mind.

The whole idea is ridiculous.. Governments all over the world seem intent on autocratic rule.

No smoking, no drinking,

Whats next? No sex?

The argument that these drugs can be harmful is unquestionable. However, I think I can make my own decisions, I am afterall an adult. Therefore I dont need some nanny state telling me what is good or bad for me.

Its amusingly ironic, I'm more likely to be killed from breathing the air in Bangkok, crossing the

street, or 'slipping' off my balcony than I am from having a few beers.

I can just imagine what these people are like.. sitting around pontificating about the state of society, smoking fine cuban cigars, whilst they select a pretty girl for a soapy. Perhaps they are interesting in hurting those who have a huge financial interest in alcohol sales.. Whats the guys name who owns Beer Chang?

The world is loosing its mind.

Actually now I come to think of it.. maybe sex should be banned. Afterall, I would guess that more people in the world have (or will) die from unprotected sex than alcohol and tobacco consumption. I am refering to diseases like HIV, Hepatitis, and all the other STD's that have killed people in the past. Or maybe zoning it would solve the problem.. :o