Thai Frozen Foods hits back at claims

webfact

While the overwhelming majority is talking about the horrible conditions , i would like to know, why is it that these practises are possible?

Slave and child labor? and nobody from the effected countries ever rang a bell?

Myanmar-Laos - Cambodia- Vietnam ??

When ringing bells , don't forget to ring the National church bell of the victims nations as well.

SHAME.

There is no concept of SHAME in this region. Instead we have the concept of FACE.

While the overwhelming majority is talking about the horrible conditions , i would like to know, why is it that these practises are possible?

Slave and child labor? and nobody from the effected countries ever rang a bell?

Myanmar-Laos - Cambodia- Vietnam ??

When ringing bells , don't forget to ring the National church bell of the victims nations as well.

SHAME.

Because we buy that stuff as long it's cheap.

If people would just think a little bit further than their own wallet,

we would all buy from local markets, not in Supermarkets, not on-line.

And if it's too expensive, well, we don't have to buy luxury food

produced on the other side of the world.

Edited by JoeLing

I live in the Uk , it's cheaper to ship the prawns to Thailand from the UK, and have them shelled and then shipped back , becasue it's cheaper than doing it local.

I do a bit of charity work in a hospital in Sahmut Prakan, I oftern have seen the gang master bringing Burmese for a quick medical , So they can work in the local fish industries

News articles all over print media and internet for the last week.

Lawsuits filed against US food suppliers about Thai prawns processed with slave labor and of course Thai sourced pets foods.

They are hitting the big chains; AG, Safeway, Costco. Costco was yesterday's news, today big articles about Safeway sources. The Guardian has articles regarding it and you have consumer groups in the UK and US now targeting stores. Costco is member driven so member driven call to buy other shrimp is going to resonate. Man this isn’t the beginning, we have already rolled into the endgame. Before the chattering classes start moaning about how the money from these lawsuits will only go to the lawyers, (wring hands, pull hair, take a swill of Leo, REPEAT) and not the ex-slave laborers. That is not the point. The point is to stop all buying from these distributors POW! That is a body blow to the economy.

Thailand is always so worried about its image. After a solid week of these stories they have a major image problem among Amerikans that only know Thai as in PotThai at their favorite Thai restaurant. This is major, as the USA is still thee major consumer. Yep the lard <deleted> consume!. Losing that market will be a disaster.

No wonder The Nation spiked the stories, and put out this little squeak. Its too big for their spin jockeys to get a handle on.

The US buys over 40 per cent of Thai shrimp production. The single biggest consumer and almost double the amount bought by the number two importer Japan. The loss of major parts of the US market would be devastating

Notes from the Guardian articles of the last 3 days

US customs records confirm the shrimp have been sold by major US food stores and retail outlets like Walmart, Kroger, Whole Foods, Dollar General. Costco and Petco, and the restaurants Red Lobster and Olive Garden.It is one of the sources for popular seafood brands and pet foods, like Chicken of the Sea and Fancy Feast, sold in grocery stores from Safeway and Schnucks to Piggly Wiggly and Albertsons.

In Australia Woolworths, Coles and Aldi are grouped with the above stores

"These large operators would also ensure that small operators in their supply chain follow good practices in the use of labour, he added

If any firms are found to have used illegal or forced labour, they will be removed from the supply chain."

The authors are making statements of fact concerning what private companies are going to without any reference to who has made that policy decision and how the decision will be implemented. The statements imply that there has been a decree from the Government, but this has not been referenced.

This is not journalism. It is nothing more that a couple of people sitting around making stuff up. Let's me clear, without quotes on the record from the the people who have the power and responsibility to do what is stated as fact it is just making stuff up.

Having been a Costco customer for many years, I can assure you that if the Costco members say bail, the company will bail. Costco customers also tend to be more upscale and politically aware and they will pay another 10 or 15 cents a can for Tuna or whatever if they know it does not include child labor and other illegal practices.

He defamed his own organization by saying " Poj Aramwattananont, president of the association, said shrimp plants in Samut Sakhon no longer employed children or illegal foreign workers". giggle.gif

violin.gifviolin.gif No longer.....today ;

and tomorrow , ?1zgarz5.gif

Yeah! I mean PFFFF!!!

MAYBE 6 months ago we used kids & slave labor, but we quit! I promise!

Yes, a restriction on the import of these products is being considered. In the year+ it will take for the responsible developed world to put its words into action, Thailand will have sought out markets in China and Russia where responsible and humane agricultural practices are not a concern.