Thailand seen as regional hub for nurses, accountants

webfact

Several posters have commented on how Thais don't really settle away from home and I recall many years ago The Post featured a letter from a Thai lady living in California, where her husband was a university professor, on this subject

The lady was upset at the attitude of Thai students arriving for the first time and gave the example of a young lady who had arrived for study and was amazed that her hostess had so many farang friends.

The older lady pointed that in the US the young student was the foreigner and the student couldn't or wouldn't handle the idea and continued talking about farangs.

The letter's author was dismayed at the attitude and was concerned that if the student did alter her attitude with years of study ahead she'd lose out but it seems that, at that time anyway, the student wasn't prepared to change.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several posters have commented on how Thais don't really settle away from home and I recall many years ago The Post featured a letter from a Thai lady living in California, where her husband was a university professor, on this subject

The lady was upset at the attitude of Thai students arriving for the first time and gave the example of a young lady who had arrived for study and was amazed that her hostess had so many farang friends.

The older lady pointed that in the US the young student was the foreigner and the student couldn't or wouldn't handle the idea and continued talking about farangs.

The letter's author was dismayed at the attitude and was concerned that if the student did alter her attitude with years of study ahead she'd lose out but it seems that, at that time anyway, the student wasn't prepared to change.

What?

Your average Thai would never consider leaving the cultural peace and comfort of Thailand. In other words, they don't travel well. This is especially true if wherever they would go does not already have many Thais for them to latch onto. I mean even Yingluck took mama noodles with her to Europe.

Thais generally only really function in Thailand. They generally don't assimilate at all into other places.

Over 200,000 Thais live in LA in Thai town. I know many Thais working in other Asian nations. I think their upbringing and educational brainwashing makes living abroad frightening, but some have a more global outlook that allows them to overcome that fear.

Those posters who live outside Thailand are able to access online what many of the LA Thais really think about their birth country and their "heritage".

I love the hub announcements, they are so...Thai. But hang on, all the accountants and nurses not only don't speak English but no ASEAN language either. Add to that their qualifications may not be recognised either. Well why let reality ruin a nice press release faking the department to be doing something?

My kids when at school in Thailand among other insane things were taught that Thais invented pizza and salad. Thais really do have an inflated delusion of their importance in the world. My kids finished school in the west, which was definitely the right decision.