Only 2 Tourist Visas From Same Consulate In A Year ?

I have just returned from a visa run (for tourist visa) from Savannaket in Laos. Maybe not a well known crossing point (from Mukdaharn) but they issue visas the same day. Turn it in in the morning and collect the same day at 3pm. I have done this run about 6 0r 7 times in the last 5 years, along with various other places, Penang, Singapore and Hanoi. In the past all was good, no probs.

This time I was informed that only 2 Tourist Visas will be issed in a year from this Consulate.

As my previous one was from there (obtained in July 2006), the man politally said" come back in a year"

Does anyone know if this is happening at other Consulates/Embassies in the region ?

Has anyone else been told this ?

Also, any news on Non-b 12 month multiple enty visas from the UK ? Are they still issuing them ?

This may have to be my next choice !!!! Not looking forward to my next run in January !!!!!

The new rules are a maximum of 2 entries for tourist visa's. I am seeking clarification about the one year side of things.

Thanks for that. I have been following the situation but didn't read any mention of this anywhere.

I thought that they were stearing people towards Tourist Visas so they can run checks on them and keep out those on blacklists.

The new rules are a maximum of 2 entries for tourist visa's. I am seeking clarification about the one year side of things.

Thanks for that. I have been following the situation but didn't read any mention of this anywhere.

I thought that they were stearing people towards Tourist Visas so they can run checks on them and keep out those on blacklists.

That was my take on the tourist visa situation also, no problem as long

as you leave Thailand (by air) and get a new 90 day visa each time.

Naka.

Does anyone know if this is happening at other Consulates/Embassies in the region ?

Apparently, it is not happening in Kuala Lumpur, at least according to the information posted on this thread. The fact that KL will issue a triple-entry TR visa belies the notion of two-visas-per-year-per-location.

Apparently, it is not happening in Kuala Lumpur, at least according to the information posted on this thread. The fact that KL will issue a triple-entry TR visa belies the notion of two-visas-per-year-per-location.

The change was only announced yesterday by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It might take a couple of days before the changes kick in.

The change was only announced yesterday by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It might take a couple of days before the changes kick in.

Hadn't heard about that. Were there any other changes announced?

>>>>>belies the notion of two-visas-per-year-per-location

Is it by location? I mean could you get a Tourist visa in Singapore and then the next in KL

and the next in Penang and the next in HK and you will be able to stay for a whole year?

thanks

nam

>>>>>belies the notion of two-visas-per-year-per-location

Is it by location? I mean could you get a Tourist visa in Singapore and then the next in KL

and the next in Penang and the next in HK and you will be able to stay for a whole year?

thanks

nam

I was told yesterday in Savannakhet , Laos that was the case there. ONLY 2 per year from that Consulate. As it was to be my 2nd he said" after this one come back in a year.

At this point, I didn't ask anymore questions as I hadn't been granted the visa yet, I just handed in the forms and didn't want to anoy him with questions. He may have got the hump and said "visa denied"

As it turned out I got the visa, but CAN'T go there for 1 YEAR. So not sure if it applies to other consulates as well. I am trying to find out if this actually means ONLY 2 in total per year regardless of where they are from.

One thing I did notice was the vastly reduced number of people getting visas. Normally queues around the corner (approx 70-100 in the past)...... Yesterday I only saw 6 other people.

One thing I did notice was the vastly reduced number of people getting visas. Normally queues around the corner (approx 70-100 in the past)...... Yesterday I only saw 6 other people.

in your home country ,, you can get visa,,, if your registerd adress is there, you are working there, and when it is clear , that you not stay longer than holidaytime in thailand.

game is over..............................................

game is over..............................................

Indeed.

And it's funny to see that people are still asking if it could be 2 visas from the same consulate...

The scheme 3 x visa exemptions of 30 days + tourist visa 60 days at one consulate abroad + 3 x visa exemptions of 30 days etc. is doomed right from the begining.

Unless thai authorities make a complete U turn regarding the "new" policy... I believe that the area of "full time tourist" in Thailand has come to an end.

The Royal Thai Consulate Birmingham UK website has this:

In addition to this anyone who has entered the three times in succession without a valid visa will be automatically barred from entering the Kingdom under any circumstances for 90 days from the date of the last exit.

This can only be taken to mean that anyone gettting three "30 day" stamps CANNOT on exiting after a consecutive 90 days go to a consulate in a neighbouring country and get a visa (TR or otherwise) and return to Thailand. :o

The 2 tourists visa limit in one year is a very old rule actually that has rarely or never been enforced. Different consulates apply different limits on tourist visas and this has been going on for years. Singapore for instance won't even give you a second one if you arrive there just off a thai tourist visa (no back to back rule). The door is gradually closing year by year on using tourist visas for perpetual stay.

Hi, Could you please give source or link for this information ?

I never read such a 2-times limitation anywhere :o ???

Oukiva

In addition to this anyone who has entered the three times in succession without a valid visa will be automatically barred from entering the Kingdom under any circumstances for 90 days from the date of the last exit.

This can only be taken to mean that anyone gettting three "30 day" stamps CANNOT on exiting after a consecutive 90 days go to a consulate in a neighbouring country and get a visa (TR or otherwise) and return to Thailand. :o

That information from the Birmingham website comes across as being misinformed. We've been told repeatedly that the immigrations officials will be counting the number of days stayed while on thirty-day stamps and that the number of such stamps doesn't matter per se.

http://www.thailand-visa.com/

signed by the Hon Consul.

So, I believe that now the "theorical" debate regarding a technical solution to continue visa runs, is over.

Now, some people think that there is the "practical" issue, and that thai authorities will eventually change their minds, and will revert the rules, scared by their effects.

We'll have the answer the 1 january.

That information from the Birmingham website comes across as being misinformed. We've been told repeatedly that the immigrations officials will be counting the number of days stayed while on thirty-day stamps and that the number of such stamps doesn't matter per se.

I agree that the counting of stamps rather than days is incorrect, but if the line "under any circumstances" is correct then it would mean no entry for 90 days into Thailand EVEN WITH a visa, once the requiste 90 days 'in Thailand' has been completed.

I agree that the counting of stamps rather than days is incorrect, but if the line "under any circumstances" is correct then it would mean no entry for 90 days into Thailand EVEN WITH a visa, once the requiste 90 days 'in Thailand' has been completed.

Which still contradicts what people have been told repeatedly by immigrations officials here in Thailand. I have no idea which is correct, I only know for sure that there seems to be an awful lot of misinformation and confusion swirling about.

When the end of the 30 day border running was announced, Thai immigration were reported as saying words to the effect of " no problem, just go to a neighbouring consulate and get a tourist visa and come back" Now, just a couple of weeks later, although yet to be confirmed and not posted on the ministry of foreign affairs website, it is said that only 2 TR visas will be issued per year. TiT

on my last visa run to measai, 3/10/06. the passport control officer

wrote in green ink number '1'. on the very first page of my passport.

i understand this to be one of the three strikes and then your out.

this means they are counting the stamps, not the days surely?

Kojak; I don't think so. It is simply to mark the visa-free-stamps in your passport issued after 1st Oct. (and in numerical order) thereby making the day calculation easier/easier to see where to start calculating(last 6 months - but starting only 1st Oct).

Sorry; some consul in the UK is not as good a source as some here think.

We will see how it develops with the 2 tourist visa per embassy only though. Sounds like a new rule.

Cheers!

Sorry; some consul in the UK is not as good a source as some here think.

I would tend to think this consul got his facts crossed considering he's the only one reporting the rules in this manner but who knows, maybe he's the only person who is reporting the rules correctly. :o

Dr, could you please clarify your statement.

Are you saying that a 2-entry tourist visa is the limit (ie. No 3-enrties issued), or only 2 tourist visas will be allowed (in a year)?

I would tend to think this consul got his facts crossed considering he's the only one reporting the rules in this manner but who knows, maybe he's the only person who is reporting the rules correctly.

Why do I have the feeling the problem lies with MFA and Immigration being on two separate pages........

I would tend to think this consul got his facts crossed considering he's the only one reporting the rules in this manner but who knows, maybe he's the only person who is reporting the rules correctly.

Why do I have the feeling the problem lies with MFA and Immigration being on two separate pages........

Probably that, combined with information generally not disseminating out to the field as it were, in any sort of coherent fashion.

In my govt. career, I was in management three times. We're dealing here with govt. agencies, the MFA and the Immigration police. Each boss has limited control below him, and has limited resources such as personnel, computer systems, money, etc. He wants to get the job done easily, which means less work on the same budget.

The honorary consuls, however, are independent contractors, making a profit off of large volume. But, since they're honorary and subject to losing their status, they may over-react to what they perceive as a serious clampdown. Better to scare away a few customers, than to lose the contract.

In a time of uncertainty, such as this, the officials (govt. or honorary) are running scared.

Some of us at ThaiVisa are accused of being Chicken Littles, over-reacting and saying the sky was falling. I think some of us were largely correct about visa runs.

In my govt. career, I was in management three times. We're dealing here with govt. agencies, the MFA and the Immigration police. Each boss has limited control below him, and has limited resources such as personnel, computer systems, money, etc. He wants to get the job done easily, which means less work on the same budget.

The honorary consuls, however, are independent contractors, making a profit off of large volume. But, since they're honorary and subject to losing their status, they may over-react to what they perceive as a serious clampdown. Better to scare away a few customers, than to lose the contract.

In a time of uncertainty, such as this, the officials (govt. or honorary) are running scared.

Some of us at ThaiVisa are accused of being Chicken Littles, over-reacting and saying the sky was falling. I think some of us were largely correct about visa runs.

Too true PeaceBlondie!!!!! I totally agree with you. The tide is turning here. A lot of people here believe that it will always be easy to "Blag living here" Things change...... Like now.......Not too often, but they do.

I have sincere sympathy for those affected here. I did the visa runs several times myself.

I clearly appears that we can't live here year-round as tourists. Trying to do so is just going to cause recurring grief. Devote your energy to finding a legal alternative.

I have sincere sympathy for those affected here. I did the visa runs several times myself.

I clearly appears that we can't live here year-round as tourists. Trying to do so is just going to cause recurring grief. Devote your energy to finding a legal alternative.

Clearly appear?? That's a contradiction in terms.

You're jumping the gun here. There is nothing clear yet.

Most visarun operations in Pattaya still believe back to back tourist visas will be feasible alternative.

Do you have unsubjective, definitive information to the contrary, or are you just offering an opinion?

It seems to be that people are becoming more and more pesimistic about this as the weeks progress.

Edited by tropo