R/O water filtration

Gonsalviz

I have salty well water. I have determined to use an R/O system but I can't really determine the capacity I need.

I have a 2500 liter water storage tank. My showers are short but the wife's are long. I will be washing 3 motorcycles (well 1 motorcycle and 2 scooters) approximately 1 time a week. We will be washing clothes, dishes and normal house cleaning. There are only 2 of us.

The IL's will use a few buckets of water a day and I will probably have to water the garden during the dry season.

Would it be worthwhile to install another storage tank for outside use and have 2 separate water systems? That would entail a second water pump and a bit of replumbing but it is all PVC pretty much exposed so it would not be really difficult. Not sure how watering the garden with salty water would work out.

Does anyone have an idea of the daily capacity R/O system I might need?

I don't feed trolls.

Most people only use RO for drinking water - it is not usually required for normal activities unless you are distilling sea water for a country. Not only is it expensive/slow and wastes a lot of water it requires energy to operate and has limited life. Sorry can not offer advise on such a large system as only have for drinking/cooking.

R/O is a very expensive way get to desalination.

With the capacity that you need for showering and other non-potable uses, you might need to look beyond Home Pro.

Can you store rain water to mix with the well water? Is municipal water totally out of the question?

I was thinking of about 50-60 liters an hour. I don't use a full 2500 liter tank a day.

Really don't want to wash my Motorcycle (Harley) in salt water. It is so salty I can't get soap to lather.

Municipal water is miles away unless I paid to truck it in. I do have a pond that I can get water from most of the year. I'd have to filter that though. It's pretty brown.

When you say your water is "salty" do you mean like sea water, i.e. sodium chloride? Or, do you mean "mineral salts" like calcium, magnesium, etc?

Salty like sea water.

There seems to be little dissolved minerals other than salt..

Last night When I showered it seemed to be less salty. Maybe it will get better over time.