IMF chief Christine Lagarde vows to fight court decision that she stand trial

webfact

IMF chief Christine Lagarde vows to fight court decision that she stand trial
By Everton Gayle | With REUTERS

606x341_319170.jpg

NEW YORK: -- Christine Lagarde, the head of the IMF, has said she will appeal a court’s decision that she must stand trial for her role in the payment of 404 million euros (437 US dollars) to a French businessman.

Lagarde’s lawyers has said the decision was “incomprehensible” and that she acted in the best interest of the French state and in full compliance of the law.

The ruling concerns Bernard Tapie, who won French government compensation after selling his majority stake in the sports company Adidas to Crédit Lyonnais in 1993.

He claimed the now defunct bank had defrauded him after it later resold his stake for a much higher sum.

His case was referred to an arbitration panel by Lagarde, who was the finance minister in the Nicolas Sarkozy government at the time.

The panel later subsequently awarded Tapie the money, causing public outcry.

Earlier this month, a French court dismissed Tapie’s demand for a further payout of over a billion euros ordering him instead to pay back the original compensation.

Lagarde received the support of the current French finance minister, Michel Sapin, who said the court’s decision should not prevent her from carrying out her IMF role.

“She’s innocent until proven guilty, so I don’t see how this should prevent her from carrying out her current duties,” said Sapin.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-18

She’s innocent until proven guilty

It never ceases to amaze me just how "Americanized" these Euros have become. "Innocent until proven guilty",It sounds so progressive, modern, liberal. Ahh for the days when The French were not spiritually polluted with these Americanisms and could still respond with that classic Gallic contempt of human dignity, like François Mitterrand's ...

The objective of our courts is to convict the guilty, not to acquit the innocent

Edited by LomSak27

It never ceases to amaze me just how "Americanized" these Euros have become. "Innocent until proven guilty",It sounds so progressive, modern, liberal. Ahh for the days when The French were not spiritually polluted with these Americanisms and could still respond with that classic Gallic contempt of human dignity, like François Mitterrand's ...

The objective of our courts is to convict the guilty, not to acquit the innocent

Amercanisms? The presumption of innocence is not some US import - a French lawyer formalised it in the 13th century. Even the English term, innocent until proven guilty, was coined at a time when the ink was still wet on the Declaration of Independence.

Of course, we Europeans went through a period where ducking stools were in common use to ascertain innocence - should we take her to the village pond?

I thought that in France you must prove your innocence, not the other waqy around.

From Wikipedia, so take it as you will:

• In France, article 9 of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen 1789, which has force as constitutional law, begins: "Any man being presumed innocent until he has been declared guilty ...". The Code of Criminal Procedure states in its preliminary article that "any person suspected or prosecuted is presumed innocent for as long as their guilt has not been established" and the jurors' oath repeats this assertion (article 304).

Also, maybe worth noting the general outrage in France when Dominique Strauss Kahn was forced to walk to a NY police car in handcuffs - the inference being that this affected his right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by RuamRudy

“She’s innocent until proven guilty, so I don’t see how this should prevent her from carrying out her current duties,” said Sapin.

Every criminal is innocent until proven guilty, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have to stand trial, otherwise they could just close the court rooms worldwide I suggest.

The issue as explained in the article is most confusing. I fail to see how an individual could run afoul of the law by simply referring a matter to arbitration. If the ruling of the arbitrator was inconsistent with existing laws or not based on the facts of the case, then the 'losing' party normally has the right to appeal the decision to court - and that apparently happened in this case. For what crime has she been charged?

How dare a court suggest she must stand trial. Don't they know who she is?

She's told them she's done nothing wrong and that should be it as far as she is concerned. Trials and courts are for the "little people".

Sorry me duck, this is Europe not Asia.

A rich man sells shares. Then complains when the buyer re-sells them at a profit later??

I must ask her to support my claims against my IFA's and their brokers too.

I guess the courts want to understand why she thought it necessary to refer this to arbitration and her actions prior to and after the arbitration and her relationship with this gentleman.

Wonder who, and for what reason, is stirring the pot?

Anyone associated with the IMF, WB, BIS, ECB, Federal Reserve, Bank of England, etc. should be tried and jailed for crimes against humanity.

At least scrutinize the hell out of them.

If you want to be a big tree you will have to withstand the wind.

Anyone associated with the IMF, WB, BIS, ECB, Federal Reserve, Bank of England, etc. should be tried and jailed for crimes against humanity.

With no chance of parole. Just another hand in the international cookie jar. There are just so many charges these days against legal entities its mind boggling.

How dare a court suggest she must stand trial. Don't they know who she is?

She's told them she's done nothing wrong and that should be it as far as she is concerned. Trials and courts are for the "little people".

Sorry me duck, this is Europe not Asia.

A rich man sells shares. Then complains when the buyer re-sells them at a profit later??

I must ask her to support my claims against my IFA's and their brokers too.

I guess the courts want to understand why she thought it necessary to refer this to arbitration and her actions prior to and after the arbitration and her relationship with this gentleman.

Wonder who, and for what reason, is stirring the pot?

Time for the "we will defend ourselves vigorously against these false charges" statement. Always love when they say that. It really makes me think their innocent and tears gush from my eyes. Please pass me a tissue. Yes someone is stirring the pot no doubt. She is a mixed bag in my eyes. I am in dire straits I wonder if she could bail me out. It will be our little secret.

Edited by elgordo38

It is the main difference between Europe and some other countries, where you have to prove you're innocent.

They have to prove they are guilty, not the other way

Ah Yes, Off with their heads