Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

I once went to meet a girl who lived on Ramkhamheang Raod Bang Kapi,,

always go there now,, never looked back, the rest of Bangkok, no i give it

a miss,, i love the place,, the Mall Bang Kapi, Tesco Lotus,, there is everything

i need.....

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a miss,, i love the place,, the Mall Bang Kapi, Tesco Lotus,, there is everything

i need.....

If you really know that area, you will know where soi Master Key is, you will also be au fait with soi Ram 97.

I like to go to the zoo sometimes but wouldn't live there.

Sukhumvit soi 8 nearby is quite nice with good restaurants/hotels and Nana sky train just outside.

We stay there on our yearly trip to Bangkok.

I stopped going to zoos where the livestock got older and older and most of it morphed into 6ft+ males.

After being taken to Nana Plaza (not my first visit) this year by a friend I will never go again. It was truly awful and, to be fair, I have been to some awful places.

The view of whether a place to live is really terrible or not, is completely subjective.

If someone wants to live in Bangkok, has a big budget and wants to bang as many girls as possible, then Nana is a good choice.

If someone wants to live in Bangkok and do not like red light districts with all its negative impacts (noise from the bars, drunken foreigners, ball grabbing girls), then Nana can not be a good choice.

Greetings from the islands!

i need.....

Worst limerick ever.

i need.....

Worst limerick ever.

If he edited it to 5 lines would that help ?

always go there now,, never looked back,

the rest of Bangkok, no i give it a miss,,

i love the place,, the Mall Bang Kapi, Tesco Lotus,,

there is everything i need.....

Nana is one of the nicest areas in Bangkok if not Thailand... Nice food wonderful thai culture. Its the reason so many tourists flock here.

Many more of the 28M tourists this year come to visit the wonderful sights of Nana then the Tamples.

The most friendly area of Bangkok someone always ready to give a helping hand or bend over backwards for you.

Sent from my c64

Not sure why you had to go 15 km to Nana to go see a movie. Holiday Inn Express at Soi 22 or 24 also. There must be 10 other malls closer to your home. I see everyone complaining about Nana area. If you are a long time resident ( over 5 years) it is easy to get bored of the Nana scene.

Nothing has changed. Same types of bars, Same types of working girls. ( some girls still there just older), I would think that you guys ba-ged some of the same girls 10 years ago.

Same snack (bugs) cart, Same indian dudes saying" you are lucky man " Same Taxi drivers, who don't want to drive to an area with alot of traffic,sitting 45 minutes to make 60 baht. Same old drunk Farang wasted on the sidewalks. The only thing different is you or us !

You like the rest of us ( 12 yrs me) have partied there with 100's of girls ( or Guys ; not that there's anything wrong with that ); and see things differently. I bet everyone of you on Thai Visa today, felt like Brad Pitt, when they first arrived at Nana. Loved the girls and atmosphere.

So now there are new guys, who want to be like Brad Pitt, party enjoy the sights and sound of the Big City. Yes, dirty, yes crazy, etc. etc.

I bet everyone of you when you first came to Nana , could not wait to tell your friends about the great time you had. Most of the bars at Nana

have been renovated of the past two years, but still not beautiful. But who cares ! You go there for 2 reasons. 1. Party, drinking, have fun. 2. Find a smile Thai girl for 2 hours.

For me, I still enjoy going with friends 3-4 times a year. But I go there to have fun; not as a Grumpy old man.

There is someone else sitting on your bar stool, and looking ( or more) at your girl.

And you know what, he does care !!!

Enjoy your weekend.

I've never been remotely interested in the place. Equal parts tacky and tragic.

I guess that would beg the question as to why you feel the need to post on a subject you have no interest in ?

You also mention all the sad old men that hang about there, well sad in your eyes as you seem to think you are above every other farang that has ever lived in Thailand. How do you know the place is full of sad old men ? Pass by often do you ?

Off topic posts removed.

This is NOT an investigation into the private life of the OP. Nor should he feel the need to justify himself to anyone.

Debate/discuss the subject of the topic NOT the poster.

Charlie, an excellent intervention and explanation. Well stated. Keep up the good work to stop the mindless attacks on people here. It seems to me that many on here are getting bitter more and more. Maybe time for them to move to "greener" pastures.

No commenting on moderation.

It's a rule, give yourself a vacation...

Review needed on budget hotels

Nana hotel seems booked up for May

Must be a big mistake there.

There's a reason why the Nana Hotel is perpetually booked, even though there are cheaper and nicer rooms close by.

It's just 'old school', but left to get old...

Yes, there are lot's of two-week wonders who come for the proximity to NEP, and the bars. But sit in the lobby some morning or late evening, and you will see guys, old guys, who are there every year, for decades. They know each other, and obviously have the means to stay elsewhere. The staff knows them, and it is like home.

Yes, the rooms are old, and if you're new, you will probably get a rundown one. But anyone who has stayed there, and is not totally witless, will ask for a better room, and will get one at check-in. Never has so much as a suggestion that I offer an 'inducement', although when I stayed there, I always took care of staff well.

The same bellmen have been there 20+ years, as have the front desk staff, and even after not staying there for several years, they remember you. I have NEVER had a single item go missing, always got extra towels when requested, etc. How many Thai businesses have such low turnover? People stay there because they get consistent service.

Even the older rooms have huge, comfortable beds and pillows, free newspaper every morning. When I used to vacation there, a club sandwich and a Coke from room service got me through jet-lag often.

These days, I admit I wouldn't stay there, because demand has driven the price beyond the threshold of the nostalgia/value proposition. But, whenever I'm nearby, I do stop and say hello to a particularly kind desk clerk. And she always remembers me...

The place has always been HQ, but I don't expect many of the late comers to get it.

One day, the owners will cash out, and it will be gone, but many will remember, and mourn it.

What did you expect? You live 15km from Nana and you didn't know it was sex tourist central? Hmm, maybe more to this than meets the eye!

No, please read again. I even said I didn't mind the scene.

You seem irritated.

We are foreigners in Thailand and always will be foreigners in Thailand, get used to it.

There's a reason why the Nana Hotel is perpetually booked, even though there are cheaper and nicer rooms close by.

Yes, there are lot's of two-week wonders who come for the proximity to NEP, and the bars. But sit in the lobby some morning or late evening, and you will see guys, old guys, who are there every year, for decades. They know each other, and obviously have the means to stay elsewhere. The staff knows them, and it is like home.

Yes, the rooms are old, and if you're new, you will probably get a rundown one. But anyone who has stayed there, and is not totally witless, will ask for a better room, and will get one at check-in. Never has so much as a suggestion that I offer an 'inducement', although when I stayed there, I always took care of staff well.

The same bellmen have been there 20+ years, as have the front desk staff, and even after not staying there for several years, they remember you. I have NEVER had a single item go missing, always got extra towels when requested, etc. How many Thai businesses have such low turnover? People stay there because they get consistent service.

Even the older rooms have huge, comfortable beds and pillows, free newspaper every morning. When I used to vacation there, a club sandwich and a Coke from room service got me through jet-lag often.

These days, I admit I wouldn't stay there, because demand has driven the price beyond the threshold of the nostalgia/value proposition. But, whenever I'm nearby, I do stop and say hello to a particularly kind desk clerk. And she always remembers me...

The place has always been HQ, but I don't expect many of the late comers to get it.

One day, the owners will cash out, and it will be gone, but many will remember, and mourn it.

I used to go to the Nana Hotel every time I was in Bangkok, nothing to do with the ladies, it could not be faulted, same price all the year round, great breakfast, great swimming pool, great staff, never had to book, always rooms available.

But one major thing that lets them down, and the reason I stopped going is because they do not have free internet like all the other hotels.

I live about 10 minutes walk from On Nut BTS. There are a few farangs who shop at Tesco there but generally in their 40's or 50's and usually with a Thai wife. There are almost no tourists anywhere, probably because there are no bars, and I am lucky to count many of the Thais in the area as very good friends and polite persons. The police around are very courteous and friendly and never a problem with taxis. I agree that Nana is the pits. I generally catch up with old farang friends once every couple of weeks in Soi 22 or nearby where most farangs are long stayers who have been in Thailand living, working or retired for 20 years or more.

Nana is one of the nicest areas in Bangkok if not Thailand... Nice food wonderful thai culture. Its the reason so many tourists flock here.

Many more of the 28M tourists this year come to visit the wonderful sights of Nana then the Tamples.

The most friendly area of Bangkok someone always ready to give a helping hand or bend over backwards for you.

Sent from my c64

Wonderful Thai culture. You sound like our esteemed ruler. What temples?? I think you mean there are many who will bend over frontwards.

Sent from my c64

Wonderful Thai culture. You sound like our esteemed ruler. What temples?? I think you mean there are many who will bend over frontwards.

If only I sounded that wise... Love his Friday night talks.. Truley inspiring.

Temples?? Was just comparing Nana to the Temples that tourists are alleged to come and visit.

"Nana discover Thainess"

Sent from my c64

Yep. It's a hole. Best avoided.

I went looking for it out of curiosity ( my teerak was with me ) and couldn't even find it. Could find Soi Cowboy, where the hell is Nana?

Sukhumvit Soi 4,, Nana BTS stop, walk towards the lower numbered Soi's on the even side,, McDonald/gas station on the corner,,, easy...

I'm sure the OP will respond, but what defines 'NANA' ?

Technically, it's just Sukhumvit Soi 4, but maybe he means an area larger then that.

Soi Cowboy is easy to define, less so NANA?

For example, I stayed in a Hotel in Soi 13 last night - is that NANA?

Drinking beer on Sukhumvit Rd chatting to the owner of one of those temporary beer bars that pop up after Midnight (all along Lower Suk, I was near Soi 7 or 9, it was late), is that also NANA?

Maybe BTS NANA down to Soi 4, or extend to the Railway line ?

Just sort of curious on what defines NANA to most people.

Typical sex tourist probably thinks Nana is named after Nana Plaza.

Nana is the name of the family that owned and owns much of the land in the area.

I've lived in lower Sukhumvit for 3 years and I love it. There's always something happening, it's an eclectic mix of cultures, and I never feel afraid to walk the streets at any hour. The biggest problem is finding space to walk with all the street vendors. Rents may be on the high side but living anywhere else would be boring.

I've lived in lower Sukhumvit for 3 years and I love it. There's always something happening, it's an eclectic mix of cultures, and I never feel afraid to walk the streets at any hour. The biggest problem is finding space to walk with all the street vendors. Rents may be on the high side but living anywhere else would be boring.

This is what I don't understand. What exactly is happening? This is not NY or London. Anything that happens in Bangkok is always inside the shopping mall.

Yep. It's a hole. Best avoided.

its the ugly old low life farangs who go there for sex. It is natural the Thais look down on them, and not polite to them.

Thai's couldn't give a toss what happens in the likes of Nana.They don't consider it a part of Thailand,just an area to fleece sheep,good and proper.When the sheep are drunk,abusive 'stupid and show lack of respect is when the problems start.I was in a taxi at 7am one morning coming out the side lane next to Dynasty and these two pissed morons came stumbling along and knocked over 4 huge vats of curry,etc.I feared for their lives until one of them came up with the money.I asked the vendors how much they paid,twice as much and don't have to work that day,5555.

Dynasty Inn the same,and you don't have to cross the road.

I used to go to the Nana Hotel every time I was in Bangkok, nothing to do with the ladies, it could not be faulted, same price all the year round, great breakfast, great swimming pool, great staff, never had to book, always rooms available.

But one major thing that lets them down, and the reason I stopped going is because they do not have free internet like all the other hotels.

Getting down to breaky by 10am was always a killer for me.

I must be one of the dodgy ones, I seem to feel right at home in Nana. Now Patpong, not so much. I enjoy having a variety of places to play pool, and just watch the panorama of interesting sights. Of course, I don't have to live there.

Now that is a hole,Patpong.Walk through once ever 10 years for old times sake,are the memories,free beer for 2 hour, happy hour.

I'm sure the OP will respond, but what defines 'NANA' ?

Technically, it's just Sukhumvit Soi 4, but maybe he means an area larger then that.

Soi Cowboy is easy to define, less so NANA?

For example, I stayed in a Hotel in Soi 13 last night - is that NANA?

Drinking beer on Sukhumvit Rd chatting to the owner of one of those temporary beer bars that pop up after Midnight (all along Lower Suk, I was near Soi 7 or 9, it was late), is that also NANA?

Maybe BTS NANA down to Soi 4, or extend to the Railway line ?

Just sort of curious on what defines NANA to most people.

Soi 4,for a 100 metres in.

Archived