a retirement visa requirement ?

prk888

I think you either need a copy of your 'house book' or you rental agreement. I seem to remember I had to copy my rental agreement lat year. No doubt others will comment but I would have thought a driving license is no good as the applicant may not have one, or changed addresses since it was issued.

I have a checklist from another poster on file which I use when I extend. PM me if you want a copy (Excel file).

If there is any item immigration just might ask for, take it just in case. I have never had a problem at CW immigration.

Has anybody mentioned to him the matured 800,000 baht in the bank and bank letter or the alternative of an Income Letter from his National Consul showing at least 65,000 baht income per month or a mixture of both bank money and income money to a similar level?

FYI They were excepting rental receipts for years, recently a young guy doing my paper work told me next year I will need a rental contract, which I never had in LOS.

I was well aware the OP was NOT renting however I posted this as a heads up on retirement visas, as that is the topic and this might be of help to people. So IF SOMEONE DOES have a rental agreement/contract, as mentioned, you should bring it along and a copy to expedite any possible snag.

I was also asked to sign two papers I never signed before, mostly in Thai but something about overstay fines in English. If anyone reads Thai maybe they can shed some light on all that is written on the last two, I believe new, pages that they provide at Jomtien immigration.

Edited by peeba7

FYI They were excepting rental receipts for years, recently a young guy doing my paper work told me next year I will need a rental contract, which I never had in LOS.

I was well aware the OP was NOT renting however I posted this as a heads up on retirement visas, as that is the topic and this might be of help to people. So IF SOMEONE DOES have a rental agreement/contract, as mentioned, you should bring it along and a copy to expedite any possible snag.

I was also asked to sign two papers I never signed before, mostly in Thai but something about overstay fines in English. If anyone reads Thai maybe they can shed some light on all that is written on the last two, I believe new, pages that they provide at Jomtien immigration.

What is rquired can differ depending on the Immigration Office you are using - it helps if you mention in your post the Immigration Office your are referring to. I use Jomtien in Pattaya - they have in the past asked for rental agreement or house papers from me and I know from others, but sometimes they didn't ask per others. However, they have recently started asking for documentation from the owner - e.g., if Thai, a copy of their ID card and house book. So far, to my knowledge they have not been asking for you to complete a TM.30 (there have been recent reports on Thaivisa that some Immigration Offices have been asking for it).

The two forms at Jomtien Immigration, one is an acknowledgement that you know you have to report to Immigration any change in status for which the Extension of Stay is being granted. As I recall, the one with overstay penalties has been used since it was announced by Immigration HQ some time ago, but the Cabinet never approved them -- but, I read a recent article that indicates they are back on the table and may be approved by current PM.

Have a retirement visa and have gotten many extensions to it and have never been asked for for any proof of address including the latest extension this month. I think it depends on where you live. Different immigration office seem to apply the rules differently and in some case add their own rules.

I always give them an electricity bill or ADSL bill.

Yes, at Jomtien when renewing the extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa) in the past, I just had a monthly bill from 3BB on hand, though they never asked for it. This year things may have changed but Jomtien has always seemed more accommodating than some other offices. This year I'm bringing along my chanote and photocopy in case.

++++

Based on what I have used at Jomtien the list of requirements would be (other offices may vary somewhat).

TM7 filled out, signed and with your phone number added below signature. Print it out on both sides of a single sheet of paper, not on two sheets of paper.

4 x 6 cm recent passport photo (they might reject it if it's the same photo you used last year)

Baht 1900

Passport

Photocopies of:

passport identity page,

all prior extension stamps

original visa you used to enter the country and entry stamp

departure card (TM 6)

All photocopies need to be signed to show you are claiming they are true copies.

Original income affidavit from your embassy less than 6 months old, if you use that method

Original letter from your bank manager if you are using bank balance as part of your proof of finances. Usually the letter should be issued the day of your application or the day before ... depends on which office you use as to how "fresh" they want it.

Bank book photocopies ... past three months at least and the final balance shown should be EXACTLY equal to what is shown on manager's letter.

Some proof of your address ... they want this from some people, but I've never been asked for it at Jomtien. Different offices have different views on this. As said above, this time around I'll bring along more substantial proof, but not certain it will be needed.

Have a retirement visa and have gotten many extensions to it and have never been asked for for any proof of address including the latest extension this month. I think it depends on where you live. Different immigration office seem to apply the rules differently and in some case add their own rules.

You didn't mention where you are getting your extensions?

What is rquired can differ depending on the Immigration Office you are using - it helps if you mention in your post the Immigration Office your are referring to. I use Jomtien in Pattaya - they have in the past asked for rental agreement or house papers from me and I know from others, but sometimes they didn't ask per others. However, they have recently started asking for documentation from the owner - e.g., if Thai, a copy of their ID card and house book. So far, to my knowledge they have not been asking for you to complete a TM.30 (there have been recent reports on Thaivisa that some Immigration Offices have been asking for it).

The two forms at Jomtien Immigration, one is an acknowledgement that you know you have to report to Immigration any change in status for which the Extension of Stay is being granted. As I recall, the one with overstay penalties has been used since it was announced by Immigration HQ some time ago, but the Cabinet never approved them -- but, I read a recent article that indicates they are back on the table and may be approved by current PM.

Very nicely done!

A young Thai male (Jomtien) who helps and makes sure you have all the correct papers insisted I needed a rental contract next year, but yes it varies from person to person who serves you and some might be more strict than others. I learned in psych class that generally, newbies tend to be more strict than older veterans. In his praise, he did everything, even made a copy of something else he needed from me without asking or telling me to do it. I think the older extension stamps.

Edited by peeba7

In seven years I have not been asked for proof of residence.

Just done my last one December 8th.

I've just done one in Nan, they didn't ask for proof of address, although a Thai drivers licence should surfice?? wink.pngwai.gif

You didn't mention where you are getting your extensions?

Bangkok

I always give them an electricity bill or ADSL bill.

Yes, at Jomtien when renewing the extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa) in the past, I just had a monthly bill from 3BB on hand, though they never asked for it. This year things may have changed but Jomtien has always seemed more accommodating than some other offices. This year I'm bringing along my chanote and photocopy in case.

Another difference between offices. In Bangkok my proof of income has to be dated no more than 5 days before my visit to immigration

++++

Based on what I have used at Jomtien the list of requirements would be (other offices may vary somewhat).

TM7 filled out, signed and with your phone number added below signature. Print it out on both sides of a single sheet of paper, not on two sheets of paper.

4 x 6 cm recent passport photo (they might reject it if it's the same photo you used last year)

Baht 1900

Passport

Photocopies of:

passport identity page,

all prior extension stamps

original visa you used to enter the country and entry stamp

departure card (TM 6)

All photocopies need to be signed to show you are claiming they are true copies.

Original income affidavit from your embassy less than 6 months old, if you use that method

Original letter from your bank manager if you are using bank balance as part of your proof of finances. Usually the letter should be issued the day of your application or the day before ... depends on which office you use as to how "fresh" they want it.

Bank book photocopies ... past three months at least and the final balance shown should be EXACTLY equal to what is shown on manager's letter.

Some proof of your address ... they want this from some people, but I've never been asked for it at Jomtien. Different offices have different views on this. As said above, this time around I'll bring along more substantial proof, but not certain it will be needed.

1-Year Visa Extension

1) TM. 7

2) Passport

3) Copies of all passport pages

a) Sign all copies

4) Proof of income

a) From consulate

5) Bank letter (recent) from a Thai bank.

a) Show account

number and balance

for 3 months

6) Copies of bankbook(s)

7) Proof of residency

8) Photograph (Passport type within 6 months.)

9) Application fee of ฿1,900

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts corrected

1-Year Visa Extension

1) TM. 7

2) Passport

a) Sign all copies

4) Proof of income

a) From consulate

a) Show account

number and balance

for 3 months

6) Copies of bankbook(s)

7) Proof of residency

On 3: I have never been asked for ALL pp pages, but yes. I saw this written as a requirement elsewhere as well. It probably needs to read: all necessary and relevant pp pages.

I suspect - at least in my case - that I take copies of everything I think I may need. The guy then gives me back those bits I don't need and then I forget what I didn't need!!. Just thankful to get it all done. Hope that makes sense. Hence I may have posted duff information earlier in the thread.

I suspect - at least in my case - that I take copies of everything I think I may need. The guy then gives me back those bits I don't need and then I forget what I didn't need!!. Just thankful to get it all done. Hope that makes sense. Hence I may have posted duff information earlier in the thread.

I would never give immigration or any other beauracracy whether it's government or big business more information than they ask for. And I'm not singling out Thailnd. More information means more possible question and therefore more possible problems. Bring extra documentation if you like, but only give it to them if asked.

• 2 weeks later...

1-Year Visa Extension

1) TM. 7

2) Passport

a) Sign all copies

4) Proof of income

a) From consulate

a) Show account

number and balance

for 3 months

6) Copies of bankbook(s)

7) Proof of residency

Just did my retirement extension application today. From the time my number was called, it only took five minutes to process.

The only deviation from Rockhopper's list was that I didn't copy all passport pages, only photo page, original visa page, last extension page and TM.6 form and stamp. For "proof of residency" I was simply asked for something with my address. I had brought a copy of my TrueMove mobile phone bill (but not offered it until asked) and it was adequate. Oh, and I had to sign the two additional forms they provide concerning overstay and something else.

There was no need for a TM.30 (or TM.28).

A fellow before me was firmly refused because he was more than 30 days before the expiration of his current extension. The officer politely advised him but offered to check his documentation to see if it were in order, to help him when he returned within 30 days to apply.