Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

Real tourists, LOL

Who are they then? People with money, people with not much money, backpackers, the Chinese tour groups, the Russians, the Indians, Brit louts, Brit guys that aren't louts, French, Germans, Scandinavians, Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, Arabs, families, singles? All of those already go to Pattaya, and far as I'm concerned anyone that came from another country and is going back to another country within a few months is a real tourist.

BTW Bali Hi is a death trap for the thousands that go there to celebrate. One day it is all going to go wrong. It's far better when they close Beach Rd for celebrations- more exits.

Why do you consider Bali High a death trap ?

i must admit i have not been down there for 6-7 years for a large event.

is it just the huge numbers in that location ? wai2.gif

The end near walking street is a bottleneck, and if there was a panic there is no way out except for a few at a time

Don't say that they could just go out towards the lighthouse- when I was there for new year in 2011 the crowd in that area was immense and in a panic you know what happens.

There was a panic resulting in many deaths at a similar celebration some other country at that time- I don't recall where.

I was very uneasy about being in the crowd, as I could see what might happen. Never went there for another celebration.

That's why I said Beach Rd is better for celebrations. There have been too many mass casualties caused by panic elsewhere to say it couldn't happen in Pattaya.

Ok. yes would be hard to control a mass panic.

But people could move up towards the fly over, that is a way out. wai2.gif

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water and sewer problems can be solved, Thaibeachlovers. As for traffic, I always laugh when someone says Pattaya's roads are inadequate. Yes, some more cross roads are definitely needed but the main traffic arteries are actually quite wide--a traffic planner would say there is a lot to work with. The problem is allowing parking (not to mention double parking!) on all these major roads--and many of the not so major roads. Traffic would move a lot more smoothly if it were not for the parking that prevents extra lanes to move more traffic thru the intersections. All the major roads could have an instant 2 extra lanes if the parking was eliminated--with no construction needed. The extra lanes would also allow more double turn lanes into other roads with also extra lanes. It's a pity the huge sum being spent for the tunnel wasn't used instead for some parking garages, improved intersections, added cross streets, parking enforcement, a start at public transportation, re-engineered u-turn lanes on Sukumvit, traffic cams, and improved, synchronized traffic signals. I know it's a pipedream to think any parking spaces will EVER be eliminated but that is what's needed in many of the traffic congested areas.

The water and sewer problems can be solved, Thaibeachlovers. As for traffic, I always laugh when someone says Pattaya's roads are inadequate. Yes, some more cross roads are definitely needed but the main traffic arteries are actually quite wide--a traffic planner would say there is a lot to work with. The problem is allowing parking (not to mention double parking!) on all these major roads--and many of the not so major roads. Traffic would move a lot more smoothly if it were not for the parking that prevents extra lanes to move more traffic thru the intersections. All the major roads could have an instant 2 extra lanes if the parking was eliminated--with no construction needed. The extra lanes would also allow more double turn lanes into other roads with also extra lanes. It's a pity the huge sum being spent for the tunnel wasn't used instead for some parking garages, improved intersections, added cross streets, parking enforcement, a start at public transportation, re-engineered u-turn lanes on Sukumvit, traffic cams, and improved, synchronized traffic signals. I know it's a pipedream to think any parking spaces will EVER be eliminated but that is what's needed in many of the traffic congested areas.

The whole thing is a woulda, coulda, shoulda scenario. The place is an awful dirty hole. It is a low class destination. The fact that locals use it as a weekend or long weekend holiday destination, doesn't change that fact. They are step by step removing any character the place might have possessed.

There are definitely a few highlights, but as a destination for long stay tourists, it sucks. Few days and they are out of here.

I see the low class image as a good thing for many of us, myself included. There are many expensive places in the world with the frills people seek. I don't need frills but I do need cheap prices, so Pattaya has been very good to me.

I have been here for 8 straight hi-seasons. I know a beer bar owner on Walking St. / Soi Diamond. Every year has been worst than the one before according to both of us.

Nah , you lying as according to 2 posters already the place is jammed packed and MOST hotels are fully booked, in fact so booked that many offering 50% off in high season.biggrin.png

I can book hotels a day before or even on the day of arrival in their standard rooms and booking direct with them I can get a 15% discount off from what Agoda or other boking sites offer.

I can say that Walking Street is fully jam packed with busloads of Chinese tourists taking up the whole street while you have to dodge the pack but this is usually early evenings until about 11:30pm. At least they're at the hotel after that when it's time to go & hit up the discos after midnight so it doesn't really bother me thumbsup.gif

I have been here for 8 straight hi-seasons. I know a beer bar owner on Walking St. / Soi Diamond. Every year has been worst than the one before according to both of us.

Nah , you lying as according to 2 posters already the place is jammed packed and MOST hotels are fully booked, in fact so booked that many offering 50% off in high season.biggrin.png

In NZ, they are offering hi end Pattaya hotel stays from NZ$5 a night! That's virtually giving it away. So perhaps that is why the hotels are full, as according to some.

They've been trying to solve the water problem for years, without success. Could be something to do with Bkk taking as much water as it can, and leaving sweet fa for other places.

Can you explain what the point of taking the parking away would be as there would be no point in driving into the city if you couldn't park near where you wanted to. By all means though, remove all the parking and it will reduce the traffic as well. I don't care about cars in Pattaya anyway, as I don't use one there, but they are a huge pain in the butt, given that city hall let the pedestrian crossing lights stop working- boy, was that ever a big scam!

I'd love to see the internet link to that 'hi end' Pattaya hotel room for 5 NZ dollars.

Hmmmmm. Can't find any on the interweb now, and it seemed too good to be true at the time.

However, plenty of 3 * hotels from NZ$19 ( lowest ) to $55 and up, which is still very cheap, considering what a motel costs in NZ.

Well, I did say build parking garages and make a start at public transportation. When I walk around a lot of the parking spaces seem to be taken up by taxis and baht buses. My partner and I never expect to find a parking space on a public road in Pattaya and we usually only take the car if we know we will be going somewhere with parking--like a shopping center or mall or restaurant with its own parking, hospital, etc. Many cities are trying to discourage private cars from going into the city to reduce congestion--but you need public transportation. Pattaya Beach Road is a good example of a road that should not have any car parking on the road--the parking only serves a few hundred cars and there are many more walkers than car parkers on Beach Road. Without car parking, a nice, wide sidewalk on the shop side of the road could be built from the Amari area all the way to Walking Street, with some cutouts for taxi/bus drop offs. Too bad the wide sidewalk that is in front of Royal Garden (but without the vendors) doesn't continue in both directions all the way down the beach. Ridiculous that if you are shopping, in many places you have to walk in the road or single file on horrible, broken, narrow sidewalks to go from one store to the next.

I see the low class image as a good thing for many of us, myself included. There are many expensive places in the world with the frills people seek. I don't need frills but I do need cheap prices, so Pattaya has been very good to me.

I'm absolutely not knocking the place in that way. It's the fact that simply ruined a pleasant enough place, trying to make it into something it can never be.

It used to have rustic charm. Where is it now? All the talk of marinas and yachts. Really? Where are they? The place is so ugly that it almost defies description. Never will it be a high end destination. It has nothing to offer.

Of course there are a few here that have properties for sale, trying to talk the place up, but we all know that Pattaya is likely beyond redemption.The development has already gone too far, each step more ruinous than the last.

Family destination? I shudder when I see men having to push their children along in the street as there is often no usable pavement or even suitable ramps most of the time. The place is an utter shambles.

If the Russians and Chinese need it, let them have it. The Russians need it for the winter and they will certainly keep the supermarkets and convenience shops busy. It is definitely moving on, but to a high end destination? No.

If it had super beaches and clean water, all could be forgiven. But it has not.

I'm absolutely not knocking the place in that way. It's the fact that simply ruined a pleasant enough place, trying to make it into something it can never be.

It used to have rustic charm. Where is it now? All the talk of marinas and yachts. Really? Where are they? The place is so ugly that it almost defies description. Never will it be a high end destination. It has nothing to offer.

Of course there are a few here that have properties for sale, trying to talk the place up, but we all know that Pattaya is likely beyond redemption.The development has already gone too far, each step more ruinous than the last.

Family destination? I shudder when I see men having to push their children along in the street as there is often no usable pavement or even suitable ramps most of the time. The place is an utter shambles.

If the Russians and Chinese need it, let them have it. The Russians need it for the winter and they will certainly keep the supermarkets and convenience shops busy. It is definitely moving on, but to a high end destination? No.

With respect it seems like your entire post was knocking the place.

You have to understand that some people, myself included, are simple. We don't need this magical charm of beautiful yachts and postcard beaches. it's enough to live in a simple town, with simple people, in an environment that does not suit shallow or otherwise materialistic values very well. Yet at the same time affording us beautiful women at reasonable prices.

This is what Pattaya is to me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Balihai was nice before with a "Japanese" little Park in front of the 7 11. now what place is that ? can not walk anymore there .

and what is this big waterfront building just in front of rama V ? then what next? what is

happening here? we want it nice, simple and cheap. is that possible?

Edited by papayasalad

Well, I did say build parking garages and make a start at public transportation. When I walk around a lot of the parking spaces seem to be taken up by taxis and baht buses. My partner and I never expect to find a parking space on a public road in Pattaya and we usually only take the car if we know we will be going somewhere with parking--like a shopping center or mall or restaurant with its own parking, hospital, etc. Many cities are trying to discourage private cars from going into the city to reduce congestion--but you need public transportation. Pattaya Beach Road is a good example of a road that should not have any car parking on the road--the parking only serves a few hundred cars and there are many more walkers than car parkers on Beach Road. Without car parking, a nice, wide sidewalk on the shop side of the road could be built from the Amari area all the way to Walking Street, with some cutouts for taxi/bus drop offs. Too bad the wide sidewalk that is in front of Royal Garden (but without the vendors) doesn't continue in both directions all the way down the beach. Ridiculous that if you are shopping, in many places you have to walk in the road or single file on horrible, broken, narrow sidewalks to go from one store to the next.

Ridiculous that if you are shopping, in many places you have to walk in the road or single file on horrible, broken, narrow sidewalks to go from one store to the next.

It has been that way for at least 25 years so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed. In fact, I bet the pavements are still the very same as when I first trod beside the road in Pattaya so many years ago.

That is why I say Pattaya will never be a high end tourist town, because I bet they will never fix them ( for the usual reasons ).

Balihai was nice before with a "Japanese" little Park in front of the 7 11. now what place is that ? can not walk anymore there .

and what is this big waterfront building just in front of rama V ? then what next? what is

It's a carpark, and that is an monument to greed, and no, it's not possible.

Whenever I find some place I really like, some one comes along and stuffs it up. Now the barbeers are pushed to Buakhao which is as dangerous as it gets, due to no pavements and bad traffic, and the prices have all gone up, but the infrastructure never gets fixed and the pedestrian crossing lights don't work. Yet some think Pattaya is a high end tourist destination cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

Some people need to wake up and smell the sewage stink on Beach Rd.

Whenever I find some place I really like, some one comes along and stuffs it up. Now the barbeers are pushed to Buakhao which is as dangerous as it gets, due to no pavements and bad traffic, and the prices have all gone up, but the infrastructure never gets fixed and the pedestrian crossing lights don't work. Yet some think Pattaya is a high end tourist destination cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

"sewage stink on Beach Rd" - I guess you've never been or lived in BKK. The sewage stink & pollution of BKK is terrible while Pattaya is heaven compared to BKK. The air is so much nicer...

http://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult.aspx?asq=KI3WRnLKQeR4AGgsX7jigfSTkI6giRrv8b7C7LoV9NKToeSFzI0BgotgMOQc4l%2fh930IfUM%2fTIi2aFoOwdy%2buFrd6ogQZnEzqurkpa37NAAfFGubQI4K5UdZ236fKOb2opH7S5rm9Y%2f%2bzYmtpkijGWQ%2fDuO4Ycd3tHzVRGE03t%2bX%2bp7xA0mEgSkGu0WTQP8g&tick=635876236407

Top-season with 833 hotels offering plenty of vacancies & many offering big discounts. WOW. Certainly business is down. Passed by LK around 19.15.....Almost totally deserted with very few people in empty bars & restaurants. I live on a busy Soi, with several well-know hotels, restaurants and some bars. None of them ever been full this season and streets are the most quiet ever. No screaming girls or drunk farangs in the early morning-hours. There might be plenty of "new & different" tourists in town. But certainly I am missing the good old days with a certain party-atmosphere in Soi 8 & 7 and even in Walking Str. and then the quieter months to realax on empty beaches to refuel for the good nights with friends visiting.

LK Metropole is nice for a visit, but gets depressing, Jesus...what a crowd....I feel sorry for the old guys having to walk along the crazy traffic in Soin Boukaoa. Times are changing..They always have :-) MS>

"sewage stink on Beach Rd" - I guess you've never been or lived in BKK. The sewage stink & pollution of BKK is terrible while Pattaya is heaven compared to BKK. The air is so much nicer...

Obviously you have never passed by the pumping station by the entrance to walking Street.

I am very familiar with Bkk. Stayed there many, many times and walked around a lot of it.

Now hold on, pardner! Wait just a cotton pickin' minute! I may be thickern molasses but haven't you cow pokes been repeatedly busten your chops spouten off that them Chinese don't ever buy any darn thang in that there PaTAYya? Well, what in tarnation are they doin' in Mike Shopping Mall at 7 or 8pm every blasted day, accorden' to one of y'all's posters?

With respect it seems like your entire post was knocking the place.

You have to understand that some people, myself included, are simple. We don't need this magical charm of beautiful yachts and postcard beaches. it's enough to live in a simple town, with simple people, in an environment that does not suit shallow or otherwise materialistic values very well. Yet at the same time affording us beautiful women at reasonable prices.

This is what Pattaya is to me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Isn't that what I wrote? Perhaps you should take off your pre-judging sunglasses and read what I wrote again.

Ridiculous that if you are shopping, in many places you have to walk in the road or single file on horrible, broken, narrow sidewalks to go from one store to the next.

It has been that way for at least 25 years so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed. In fact, I bet the pavements are still the very same as when I first trod beside the road in Pattaya so many years ago.

That is why I say Pattaya will never be a high end tourist town, because I bet they will never fix them ( for the usual reasons ).

Who has been suggesting that Pattaya will ever "be a high end tourist town"? It will change, but it won't be high end no matter what they do. From a geographic perspective that is impossible. Are there ANY high end tourists towns in Thailand?

I like Pattaya the way it is.Broken sidewlalks,,dirty ,messy, bad traffic. It makes it what it is.

The flip side is restaurants working hard to cater to foreigners. Super markets catering to foreign tastes.Cheap accommodations. Easy beach access(not the best beach but easy to get to).

it is affordable,and has the creature comforts for foreigners.

As far as dead it is robust as compared to when I first came.. When I first came it ended at second road. I quess alive or dead depends on how it was when a person first saw it.

Edited by lovelomsak

High End Tourist - what is that? what makes them "High End" Is this some sort of envy that "High End" people are more important than us simple folk. It seems to me Pattaya has more than it's fair share of 5 star resorts. I haven't heard of any complaining or closing through lack of support. We all have different ideas how we should enjoy holidays.If one wants to isolate themselves from the majority in Central Pattaya, there are many other places to visit within 30 minutes or less travelling time. If Pattaya is dead why are there thousands of motor cycles rented out.

High End Tourist - what is that? what makes them "High End" Is this some sort of envy that "High End" people are more important than us simple folk. It seems to me Pattaya has more than it's fair share of 5 star resorts. I haven't heard of any complaining or closing through lack of support. We all have different ideas how we should enjoy holidays.If one wants to isolate themselves from the majority in Central Pattaya, there are many other places to visit within 30 minutes or less travelling time. If Pattaya is dead why are there thousands of motor cycles rented out.

High end means a monger boasting that he spends 10,000 baht a nite on booze and hookers, then goes home after 2 weeks, leving tiraks with their expat friends.

In LK Metro area last night, the bars were packed, gogo i went to were quiet, when will these gogo owners smarten up with the music.

Hats of to the owners of the two "Scooter" bar. Finally someone doing something 30+yo olds want music wise, both were packed and deservedly so, put that concept into a gogo and clean up guys