Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

Flanno is right, Jiu-Jitsu. There are western couples and families vacationing here. You may not be noticing them because most of them I think are in the Jomtien, South Jomtien, Na Jomtien, and points south areas. But, some are in Pattaya, too. There's plenty for a family to do for a 1 or 2 week vacation--trips to the islands, Nongnooch (SP?) Gardens, Cartoon Waterpark, elephant rides and shows, Pattaya Park, day trip to Silver Lake, Floating Market, the aquarium, scuba diving/snorkeling, learning to parasail, skydiving, go karts, and an overnight trip into Bangkok for sightseeing is easy and fun to do, the Art Illusion place is fun for kids, among other things. They could spend a vacation here and not go near Walking Street or Soi 6--but I do see them at Central Festival. Look around and you will probably see some, too. Pattaya will probably always be famous for sex, just as Vegas is famous for gambling, but, like Vegas did, it is evolving to offer more than just that.

Again. no.

I did not write that there were no 'western' couples and families there. I simply disagreed with the statement, "More western couples and families are discovering....." No...they are not. If you can show me any evidence that there are increasing numbers of western tourists, I might concede.

There are those who would go regularly in the first place, knowing what to expect. But in the main, the new markets are for the people who are just happy that it is warm. British people don't consider living in a high rise a luxury. Whereas the Russians think nothing of living in a concrete jungle.

If you think that I am unfamiliar with the areas that you mention, you are sorely mistaken.

I have no idea as to who you refer to a 'westerners', but their numbers are certainly not increasing.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add in a holiday in Phuket or Koh Samui for a western family would be approximately twice as expensive as Pattaya. They are coming already so maybe it's time for Jiu-Jitsu to remove the blinkers and see what's happening around him.

Once again, show me even a modicum of published evidence that western tourism is increasing to Pattaya and I'll concede.

I'm not referring to western families that have a connection to Pattaya. I know many western girls who have parents living in the area, who think it is a hole and are happy to not ever return. I don't know of a single family in the UK who would happily go with their children to Pattaya. Not a single one. Only those who have a connection to an ex working girl and that's the truth.

You are writing nonsense.

Look how Pattaya is described in mainstream holiday brochures: Buzzing with life day and night, Thailand's liveliest,most fun-packed resort is a playground for dedicated pleasure seekers, Pattaya is a 2 hour drive from Bangkok.

That from Virgin Holidays.

It's not even mentioned in the Thomson holiday brochure: http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/asia/thailand/holidays-thailand/places-to-go

So who would choose to take their family there, unless they had some inside knowledge? No, I maintain that it is just those who already know about it. So...show me your evidence of 'increasing numbers'.

Wow, you cite one UK publication that doesn't mention Pattaya and that's your evidence? That and the fact that you personally don't know any families. That's certainly scientific. Well, there were plenty of families at Central Festival tonight and last week when I checked my rental condo in south Jomtien the large lobby looked like a western daycare center. My evidence is my observant eyes. Not sure how we would count them with your criteria: don't count any who have been here before, or have a connection to Pattaya already, or have parents here, or are ok living in a highrise, or are just escaping the cold, or have inside knowledge, or something about a concrete jungle, I lost track. Whew! Might be a little tricky to get those stats.

Wow, you cite one UK publication that doesn't mention Pattaya and that's your evidence? That and the fact that you personally don't know any families. That's certainly scientific. Well, there were plenty of families at Central Festival tonight and last week when I checked my rental condo in south Jomtien the large lobby looked like a western daycare center. My evidence is my observant eyes. Not sure how we would count them with your criteria: don't count any who have been here before, or have a connection to Pattaya already, or have parents here, or are ok living in a highrise, or are just escaping the cold, or have inside knowledge, or something about a concrete jungle, I lost track. Whew! Might be a little tricky to get those stats.

You appear rather desperate to defend the indefensible. In fact, I chose two of the biggest holiday companies in the UK. Certainly more authoritative a source than your "families at Central" and "rental condo" in south Jomtien.

Clearly you didn't enquire as to the nationalities at Central. I am confident that most of the families being eastern european. Russian, Ukraine, Belarus...Ditto, your condo.

How do you think these "western families" came upon this rental condo? You think that it popped up in their holiday brochures?

Which languages are being spoken by these "western families"?

Yes, but you chose just the UK. What about other countries? And, there are lots of other ways to get information. Last year at my rental condo complex I met a nice family from Chicago--who had found out about the condo complex from an internet rental site. I've also met couples and families from Italy, Australia, Switzerland, and, yes, even the UK. Also China and many from Thailand, too. Tonight there were a number of different languages being spoken--but what does that even matter? To me it's interesting to see more families out and about--wherever they are from.

Yes, but you chose just the UK. What about other countries? And, there are lots of other ways to get information. Last year at my rental condo complex I met a nice family from Chicago--who had found out about the condo complex from an internet rental site. I've also met couples and families from Italy, Australia, Switzerland, and, yes, even the UK. Also China and many from Thailand, too. Tonight there were a number of different languages being spoken--but what does that even matter? To me it's interesting to see more families out and about--wherever they are from.

Last year? I thought that they were packing out the place this year? :) Interesting...that they found out about the condo from an internet rental website. So not a package holiday from their countries then. Did you ask them why they chose Pattaya? Ask them... I'll be interested to hear their replies. smile.png

Once again, no one has suggested that there are no western couples and families. What I have stated is that they are not on the increase.

Last year? I thought that they were packing out the place this year? smile.png Interesting...that they found out about the condo from an internet rental website. So not a package holiday from their countries then. Did you ask them why they chose Pattaya? Ask them... I'll be interested to hear their replies. smile.png

Once again, no one has suggested that there are no western couples and families. What I have stated is that they are not on the increase.

And not on the increase because they , Western couples and families , do not want to visit for a second time. * In general.

Last year? I thought that they were packing out the place this year? smile.png Interesting...that they found out about the condo from an internet rental website. So not a package holiday from their countries then. Did you ask them why they chose Pattaya? Ask them... I'll be interested to hear their replies. smile.png

And not on the increase because they , Western couples and families , do not want to visit for a second time.

My friends, a married couple were here last July, and they booked about a month ago for next July.

Whilst Pattaya is pretty quiet as just returned from 2 month its fair to say I've never seen so many families there so clearly they are increasing..... In the Sabai Lodge it was packed with them. They are certainly increasing and no links are needed to prove it

who cares about an open air brothel by the sea anyway. If the prostitution scene is dead then that can only be good

You obviously have very little experience of Thai beach resorts. They ALL, ALL, ALL have a bar scene with the girls you love to hate. Even Hua Hin has a small area of bars with willing ladies. Patong has a large bar area. Lamai and Chaweng have heaps of bars.

The bar scene isn't going away, no matter how much you wish it would.

Just sayin', but I'm with the folks who are seeing more western couples around town. I'm seeing more (older) couples, including Russians, in Big C Extra, Friendship and Foodland as well as in the sub-sois and the cinemas, even over here on the Darkside. I think there's definitely been an uptick in numbers.

Good to know that Pattaya is attracting more families from all countries. The government should encourage them by providing more family entertainment venues and slowly squeeze out the brothels masquerading as massage parlours, gogo bar drug dens, lady boys etc.

Good to know that Pattaya is attracting more families from all countries. The government should encourage them by providing more family entertainment venues and slowly squeeze out the brothels masquerading as massage parlours, gogo bar drug dens, lady boys etc.

The government should encourage them by providing more family entertainment venues

You obviously haven't noticed, but the government isn't in the business of entertainment venues, and it's definitely not their job to get rid of legal enterprises, no matter how distasteful you may find them.

When gogos etc stop making money, they will close. Till then, they ain't going away.

What do you have against ladyboys? There are hundreds in jobs like hairdressers and shop staff.

BTW, do you have any stats to prove Gogos are drug suppliers? I've never been offered illegal drugs in a Gogo.

I don't know why you pick on Pattaya to lambast. London is full of hookers but there is no campaign to condemn it.

Whilst Pattaya is pretty quiet as just returned from 2 month its fair to say I've never seen so many families there so clearly they are increasing..... In the Sabai Lodge it was packed with them. They are certainly increasing and no links are needed to prove it

Let's be clear....we are talking about more western couples and families year on year, not more western couples and families there for high season :)

Visa run woman said angrily she is not busy 'no farangs'.

Which is due to visa-run options drying up due to new Immigration policies which has nothing to do with tourist numbers.

She'll have to find new ways to fleece Farangs.

Just sayin', but I'm with the folks who are seeing more western couples around town. I'm seeing more (older) couples, including Russians, in Big C Extra, Friendship and Foodland as well as in the sub-sois and the cinemas, even over here on the Darkside. I think there's definitely been an uptick in numbers.

Probably because there are fewer and fewer places in the world they can safely go for holidays in the sun. Most of the southern Med is off limits.

Let's be clear....we are talking about more western couples and families year on year, not more western couples and families there for high season smile.png

JJ

If I had completely agreed and liked every single one of your Posts on the thread you still somehow would have come back and disputed my comments. Pointless having any debate with you as you simply move the Goalposts each time. I ain't retorting again so don't bother

Let's be clear....we are talking about more western couples and families year on year, not more western couples and families there for high season smile.png

October and November were not high season and multiple families in Sabai Lodge throughout with additional families in December

Just accept many more families are coming here every month

October and November were not high season and multiple families in Sabai Lodge throughout with additional families in December

What nationalities are these "Western" families and couples. Are you sure they are not Eastern Europeans ?

Because Eastern Europeans would be the only caucasians that I could understand being attracted to Pattaya. Putting up with the locals and congestion

While Jomtien is a different story.

From someone who is almost always wrong? No... I see no evidence of the families that you mention nor of a year on year increase. If you are referring to a middle aged man and wife....that is not a family. But hey ho...why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

As to your accusation of me moving the goalposts.....

More western couples and families are discovering it's not all about sex in Pattaya.

was the statement with which I disagreed in the first place. I don't believe that there are any couples and families who have 'discovered' this.

Anyone staying in Sabai Lodge for the first time will be well aware of the prostitution around them and anyone returning will also be fully aware.

In fact the picture posted here shows middle aged couples sitting in a busy bar area surrounded by prostitutes.

So it is just again you who has missed the point. I don't agree that they are discovering that it is not "all about sex" and I don't agree that their numbers are increasing year on year. I suggest that they are well aware...but don't give a damn. As to families....no one has posted a modicum of evidence to support that there are more western families here.

Of course one has to stipulate year on year, as it would be ridiculous not to expect more numbers within the super peak season.

As to October and November.......cheap flights.

Archived