Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always laughed at this notion that families visiting Pattaya is something new.

Yep, it does appear that many people seem to think this is a new concept, not just the reported increase in families visiting.

Between 1988 & 1999 I knew Pattaya intimimately, before Jomtien was even developed. Pattaya, during that time period was always aimed at family holidays. But this seemed never to have been recognised by those who frequented the areas that weren't 'family friendly'. Seems nothing much has changed over the years.

Oh, and during that particular period, there were very few restrictions endorced, very few rules and boundries yet the families kept coming back year after year. The only thing lacking was the violence.

Sure, different times I grant you, but Pattaya didn't build the shopping malls, restaurants and all the 'western conveniences for the sex-pats or the retirees only......

From the 70's, it has always been a family holiday destination.

Pattaya can be both a major brothel and family destination. The sex trade is a night trade by nature. family activities are done during the day. Families should be in the hotel pool side by 9 pm. No need for kids to see walking street at night. When I was young and with my parents after dinner it was family time near hotel not wandering the streets. Parents who let their child go out with them late in the evening arenot that good of parents to begin with, so would not matter where in the world they were, the children would have bad influences daily in their lives.

Cant quote you but as usual LOL I still maintain you have never set foot in Thailand

You appear to be just another who thinks that having intimate knowledge of girls from the north east, somehow makes them the font of all knowledge on Thailand. smile.png

Seriously, give it a rest. You are just making yourself seem like a girl who wants to have the last word.

My very simple point it that there are no more couples and families than there were before. No one has stated that there were no couples and families.

If you can show me any facts and figures that show an upward trend, of course I will concede. But spurious claims that a Sabai property was full of western couples and families is no indication that there are year on year increases of western couples and families.

Seriously, this is all going over your head. Take a rest. You claimed that you would not respond...

I have always laughed at this notion that families visiting Pattaya is something new.

Yep, it does appear that many people seem to think this is a new concept, not just the reported increase in families visiting.

Between 1988 & 1999 I knew Pattaya intimimately, before Jomtien was even developed. Pattaya, during that time period was always aimed at family holidays. But this seemed never to have been recognised by those who frequented the areas that weren't 'family friendly'. Seems nothing much has changed over the years.

Oh, and during that particular period, there were very few restrictions endorced, very few rules and boundries yet the families kept coming back year after year. The only thing lacking was the violence.

Sure, different times I grant you, but Pattaya didn't build the shopping malls, restaurants and all the 'western conveniences for the sex-pats or the retirees only......

I was there a lot early to late 90s, and I fail to remember it being aimed at family holidays. Also, Jomptien was well developed from at least 1990. Those big condo buildings didn't just spring up overnight.

Certainly, there were a lot of resorts that catered to families on Beach Rd from Central Rd to North Rd, and on the south end of Naklua Rd, but they were of the sort where you didn't leave the resort except on an AC bus tour. I recall no families in the south Pattaya area or Walking Street.

It wasn't till the Russian invasion that young children were seen on WS at night.

Pattaya has always been a big boys playground, till recently.

Anyone claiming that Pattaya is becoming a family town had better take themselves on a walking tour of Soi Buakhao and see how many "families" they can count, LOL.

Pattaya can be both a major brothel and family destination. The sex trade is a night trade by nature. family activities are done during the day. Families should be in the hotel pool side by 9 pm. No need for kids to see walking street at night. When I was young and with my parents after dinner it was family time near hotel not wandering the streets. Parents who let their child go out with them late in the evening arenot that good of parents to begin with, so would not matter where in the world they were, the children would have bad influences daily in their lives.

I really wish posters would stop referring to Pattaya as a brothel. The only brothels are for the THAI trade. The girls that cater for farangs are free agents. Anyone with more than a superficial knowledge of Pattaya knows that.

I went to jomtien complex last night for a birthday party and it was a lot of people in the bars there. The beach in jomtien is very crowded but it's a large amount of Russian families and they will not visit the bars. Otherwise jomtien and Dongtan beach is very crowded.

Don't forget that Pattaya was created by the US military as a recreation place for US soldier. I know a older lady now in her 90s she use to cook for them when she was young, she still get pension from the US every month. It's a blast sit and listen to her stories from that time, she speaks very good English that she learned from the service men. But to refer Pattaya as a Sin city is unfair it have a lot to offer to older Farangs that like the relaxing beach and sun life stile and also to families, so Pattaya is not only for sex buyers.

Anyone coming to Pattaya for a sex tourist holiday where thousands of young slim Thai girls will be at your beck and call are in for a surprise, those days are long gone, 1990's yes, now no.

On the other hand if your into fat, tattooed, bored, boring, uneducated, cellphone addicted, somtam munching, bad breath older women with 3 kids back home in some run down shack in Isaan, then Pattaya Beer Bars await you, good luck.

Anyone coming to Pattaya for a sex tourist holiday where thousands of young slim Thai girls will be at your beck and call are in for a surprise, those days are long gone, 1990's yes, now no.

On the other hand if your into fat, tattooed, bored, boring, uneducated, cellphone addicted, somtam munching, bad breath older women with 3 kids back home in some run down shack in Isaan, then Pattaya Beer Bars await you, good luck.

Perfect companions for the bloated minky mongers that pursue them!

Perfect companions for the bloated minky mongers that pursue them!

Good Point.

Let's not forget the thousands of Thai families that converge on Pattaya every weekend, holidays and even week nights. Without them there wouldn't be a Central shopping mall.

I think some of you are totally missing the point when you talk about Pattaya being, or not being a resort area suitable for families. Specifically, the poster suggesting we take a walking tour of Soi Buakhao--presumably to show that Pattaya is not suitable. Using the argument of, I suppose, a street being aimed at adults to place the whole city off limits to families is really weak. There are plenty of other places in the Pattaya area for tourist families to spend their time without having to go to Walking Street, Soi 6, etc. Most cities have adult areas--it doesn't mean families have to avoid going to a city.

I think some of you are totally missing the point when you talk about Pattaya being, or not being a resort area suitable for families. Specifically, the poster suggesting we take a walking tour of Soi Buakhao--presumably to show that Pattaya is not suitable. Using the argument of, I suppose, a street being aimed at adults to place the whole city off limits to families is really weak. There are plenty of other places in the Pattaya area for tourist families to spend their time without having to go to Walking Street, Soi 6, etc. Most cities have adult areas--it doesn't mean families have to avoid going to a city.

Huge market on soi bukhaw, many families go there, walk over the road and one has tuk com, full of families

Huge market on soi bukhaw, many families go there, walk over the road and one has tuk com, full of families

Must be on other days than today, because at 2pm today Tukcom was virtually empty, other then a few punters on the mobile floor.

No surprise actually taken in account the service you receive at the shops in Tukcom.

I had to return a device with lifetime warranty from a well known shop with nation wide branches on the 3rd floor, which I had bought just yesterday, and as usual it was a BIG problem to get the item replaced.

I was there a lot early to late 90s, and I fail to remember it being aimed at family holidays. Also, Jomptien was well developed from at least 1990. Those big condo buildings didn't just spring up overnight.

Certainly, there were a lot of resorts that catered to families on Beach Rd from Central Rd to North Rd, and on the south end of Naklua Rd, but they were of the sort where you didn't leave the resort except on an AC bus tour. I recall no families in the south Pattaya area or Walking Street.

It wasn't till the Russian invasion that young children were seen on WS at night.

Anyone claiming that Pattaya is becoming a family town had better take themselves on a walking tour of Soi Buakhao and see how many "families" they can count, LOL.

Why would someone want to take their family to Walking Street or even Soi Buakhao at night? They have their own reputations.

A line from my original post: "But this seemed never to have been recognised by those who frequented the areas that weren't 'family friendly'."

And sorry, as for Jomptien being developed in 1990? Seriously? The lights used to go out at about 21:00 every night. Check your photo album for 1990................................wink.png

Why would someone want to take their family to Walking Street or even Soi Buakhao at night? They have their own reputations.

A line from my original post: "But this seemed never to have been recognised by those who frequented the areas that weren't 'family friendly'."

And sorry, as for Jomptien being developed in 1990? Seriously? The lights used to go out at about 21:00 every night. Check your photo album for 1990................................wink.png

I'd have no issue with taking them to WS but I would soi Buakhao, safety from the traffic would be one reason.

:)

In 1997, take notice that is almost the end of the ninety's, there were 2 condominiums on Jomtien beach road with the latter one still under construction.

The one under construction half way beachroad is called jomtien beach condiminium, I think, and consists of 3 low rise buildings

Sale prices were about 10K a square meter.

Furthermore there were some newly constructed shophouses near the beach road Soi 5, but they were all unoccupied.

In the daytime there was little movement at Jomtien beach, but after 5pm it was completely deserted.

Everyone who had lived in Pattaya for some time couldn't imagine that the shophouses would ever get sold.

You misunderstand my post re Soi Buakhao. I was responding to the posters saying that Pattaya was now a family town, when obviously places like Buakhao are not. I also said families stay at the big resorts and have been doing so since at least the early 90s.

Other off limit areas for families would be Boy's Town and the sois next to it, Soi Post Office and the one next to it ( forgotten the name- getting old ), Soi 6 and Walking Street plus the area behind it, also Soi 7 and 8, the bar complex at the north end on both sides of 2nd Rd and the bar area on the Naklua Rd.

Hmmmm I used to take the girlfriend over to Jomptien to spend the day at the beach and swim. Loads of people and plenty of beach umbrellas over there. Don't know what time the lights went out as gone back to Pattaya by dark.

I certainly will see if my early photos of Jomptien are on the computer, but if not, can't check as have thousands of pics of Thailand stored and would take ages just to find a few.

ive just returned from a 3 week stay in pattaya, in the bar areas there is often an 'illusion' of business, via the bright lights and music, for example i walked up and down soi 7 and 8 and to all intensive purposes there were a handful of customers, in fact how many of those girls i saw get a bar fine is a mystery to me, when i first went in 2004 during the low season those sois were packed, and i was mobbed by gals when walking there,

many ladies are tuning into the social networks, staying in their rooms and getting customers via line, Thai friendly etc.

the cheap food halls seemed quite busy though with tourists of all colours, the town seems to be very eclectic now

ive just returned from a 3 week stay in pattaya, in the bar areas there is often an 'illusion' of business, via the bright lights and music, for example i walked up and down soi 7 and 8 and to all intensive purposes there were a handful of customers, in fact how many of those girls i saw get a bar fine is a mystery to me, when i first went in 2004 during the low season those sois were packed, and i was mobbed by gals when walking there,

many ladies are tuning into the social networks, staying in their rooms and getting customers via line, Thai friendly etc.

the cheap food halls seemed quite busy though with tourists of all colours, the town seems to be very eclectic now

There have been few bar patrons per bar for many years now. It's not been unusual to see bars with one or two, or even no customers. They built too many bars from the late 90s and that hasn't changed. It won't either as long as stupid farangs think owning a bar is a great idea.

The bars that do well are those that provide what the customers want. Just having a few bored girls that would rather talk on their phone than talk to the customers is not a recipie for success.

Hmmmm I used to take the girlfriend over to Jomptien to spend the day at the beach and swim. Loads of people and plenty of beach umbrellas over there. Don't know what time the lights went out as gone back to Pattaya by dark.

I certainly will see if my early photos of Jomptien are on the computer, but if not, can't check as have thousands of pics of Thailand stored and would take ages just to find a few.

Sorry, earliest Jomptien pics I have on the computer are 2000.

Archived