New Law Totally Bans Alcoholic Beverage Ads In All Media

george

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bar here in Jomtien. It would be a pretty drab place if we had to take down all the Beer Posters, Illuminated Heineken sign etc. And what about all those covers we put the bottles into to keep them cool, most saying "Tiger" or other such name.

Right now our cigarette dispensing machine stands empty with a sign on it saying we sell them just ask! because they all have to be out of site under the cunter. Is that what they intend for booze? Empty shelves and all drinks poured out of site? But then put the glass on the counter where they can be happily drank, the same way once cigaretes are sold the customer can then put them on the counter and smoke them freely?

Chris

If the alcohol advertising bill is part of a wider plan to reduce the astonishing road toll, it is an excellent idea. Education is the first step followed by the less pallatable enforcement option for those drivers who are slow to understand the issues. It is also an effortless option for government because it does not need to spend any money. I am pleased that the new Thai government cares enough about their people to do something proactive. My experiences in Thailand, England and Australia is that Thai people are very well behaved, even if drunk, compared with young European males. None of all this is new. Breweries do not have to advertise to sell their products and people must be allowed to drink whenever they want provided they do not drive a car afterwards

Update:

Alcohol ad ban to impact ad revenue by Bt2bn annually

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's interim government plan to impose a complete ban on alcohol advertisements in all media will make a big dent on advertising revenue, cutting profits by an estimated Bt2 billion (over US$50 million) annually, according to Witawat Jayapani, president of the Advertising Association of Thailand.

Mr. Witawat said the ban on alcohol ads will also hurt local player competitiveness vis-a-vis foreign entrepreneurs because the government could not control foreign goods entering this country.

He urged the government to give more focus to the internet as well as SMS messaging which can easily reach young people but is difficult to control. Also, the new law should impose a severe punishment on drunken drivers.

Mongkol Na Songkhla, interim Public Health Minister, said earlier this week that he expected the new law could be announced within two weeks and would come into effect once it is published in the Royal Gazette.

Similar to an already instituted prohibition on cigarette and tobacco advertisements, the new ban would not permit ads for alcoholic beverages on television or radio, print media, or in posters and billboards.

Panya Pongthanya, general manager of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, forecast that beer sales later this year will drop 5 to 10 per cent.

He said it would be the first time that beer sales would decline during beer festival which is organised every cold season in Thailand. No advertising, he said, makes it practically impossible for new brands to enter the Thai market.

Local brewers may also decide to divert their investments to overseas project, Mr. Panya said.

--TNA 2006-10-14

This place is soon going to be as much fun as it is in Malaysia.

Now there's a thought, never mind about annexing the south, why not go for the whole country?

look how Bali has been screwed up. I wont dwell on the M thing but you know who you are.

Update:

Panya Pongthanya, general manager of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, forecast that beer sales later this year will drop 5 to 10 per cent.

--TNA 2006-10-14

There is no telling whether Khun Panya's comments factor in the ban on under 25's along with the ban on media advertising.

Baning advertising does not make sense in light of the under 25 ban. Advertising may, arguably, lead younger people to drink because it is made to look exciting, but by the time they are 25, if advertising causes people to start drinking alcoholic beverages or consume more, then they have far greater problems than this government can regulate.

The advertising ban won't just cost the advertising industry revenues, adversely affecting jobs, but it will also negatively impact funds raised for Thailand's needy from the numerous charities this industry supports. Does the government really think companies will continue to sponsor charitable events without being able to show their names or logos?

Given the under 25 ban, this really does not sound like it was well thought out.

Advertising may, arguably, lead younger people to drink because it is made to look exciting

No.

Jumping out of aircraft with a parachute is exciting.... bungee jumping is exciting... diving off a 40m cliff into 10m of water is exciting.

Beer is not exciting, never has been, never will be....... I wasn't that stupid when I was a teenager, most people aren't...... they drink alcohol because their forebears did.

If alcohol ads didn't have an impact on alcohol consumption --- then why do the alcohol-companies advertise? --- Don't those guys do any kind of marketing research/evaluation?

for that you drink Singha instead of Chang to start with...market share, does that ring a bell? And for that very reason banning ads will have a rather limited impact on the overall consumtion. As another poster pointed out, there's no advertisement for Lao Khao but the better part of Isaan is hooked on it...

Does anyone else think these measures are pretty bold for an unelected government in the first 2 weeks in office?

60 year old military uncles deciding a 24 year old can't have a beer?

If they keep this up (in other ares of society as well), then how can this NOT get seriously nasty?

How about a ban on western songs on the radio using profane language in the lyrics. I don't need to hear someone rapping the joys <snip> When I took this matter up with the offending radio station NEW FM 107, I was told 'if you don't like the music we play, go back to your own country!' This is referred to as Thailand's favourite music station. By whose standards, I wonder. So this is to be the new format of MET 107, is it? Thankfully I make full use of that little switch marked 'OFF'.

Seems a shame though that this modern country trying to be the leader in Asia no longer has an English speaking radio channel!

:o

hmm....my radio has that button....when I turn it, another station comes on. More important...underneath the radio is that little slot....if you put a CD (those shiny disks that you can buy in so-called "record shops") in it, it will play music far better than they will ever play on the radio (if the correct disk is selected...). If it doesn't work, try to insert that disk the other way around. :D

You music unit must be very high tech - a slot for a shiny disk??? I'm still relying on my cats for their whiskers! :D

Good luck!

Majority favours free medical care, ban on alcohol ads: Poll

BANGKOK, Oct 15 (TNA) – Most people support the interim government's free medical health project, revised from the Thaksin government's Bt30 universal healthcare scheme, and are in favour of a plan to impose a ban on ads and public promotions of alcoholic beverages, according to an opinion poll.

Noppadol Kannikar, director of the ABAC Poll, said the poll was conducted among 2,538 people over age 18 in Bangkok and four other provinces: Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri and Songkhla during October 13-14.

According to the poll, 75 per cent of the respondents support the new free healthcare programme as it could assist low income earners while 16.5 per cent are against it as they fear that medical treatment may not reach the standard required while the government may not be able to maintain the programme in long-run.

Touching on a plan by the Public Health Ministry to impose a total ban on ads and public promotions of alcoholic beverages, 65.7 per cent of the total respondents agree with the plan while 19.1 per cent oppose it, citing that business of producers could be hurt.

A strong majority--78.8 per cent--of respondents favour not allowing an opening of shops selling alcohol within 500 metres from educational institutions while only 8.8 per cent disagree with the idea.

A majority of 55.2 per cent of the respondents say they agree on a plan to prohibit ads or billboards for alcoholic drinks as they create a bad image while 15.5 per cent say there should not be a problem as they are made purely for business purposes.

Interestingly, a resounding 87.4 per cent of respondents say that public utilities and infrastructure such as roads, bridges and pedestrian street crossings would improve if there was to be no corruption by officials.(TNA)-E111

Wow, I find it hard to believe that the majority support such autocratic laws.

Majority favours free medical care, ban on alcohol ads: Poll

Wow, I find it hard to believe that the majority support such autocratic laws.

Womble, I have the same problem believing this as you do. Moreover, I highly doubt the sample was asked about the ban on alcohol ads in conjunction with the ban on under 25 year olds being able to drink alcohlic beverages.

It seems that every statistic published is based on a stand alone sample. If people questioned on the ban on alcohol ads were answering with the knowledge that a ban on consuming alcoholic beverages for people under the age of 25 also was in place, then I expect they will have answered differently. Most people think (and I agree) that adults of the age 25 and above are old enough to make their own decisons. They don't need the government stepping in and making these decisions for them.

I'm not for the ban by any means... but those arguing against it saying that advertising (in general or even specifically for alcohol, food, water, or Werther's) doesn't increase sales are way off base.

Heng, if advertising didn't increase sales, nobody would advertise. In the context of this government's recent laws concerning alcholic beverages, the question is does advertising greatly cause adults, aged 25 and above, to materially increase their consumption of alcoholic beverages?

My view is for the over 24 age group, advertising will primarily impact which brand they choose, but not whether they drink or don't drink alcoholic beverages. It appears to me, by instituting these bans, this government is saying Thai's are not responsible enough at the age of 25 or over to make adult decisions as it relates to consuming alcohol and baning advertising is the answer. Is this really what they believe, or have they made the ban on under 25's independently of the ban on advertising?

I'm not for the ban by any means... but those arguing against it saying that advertising (in general or even specifically for alcohol, food, water, or Werther's) doesn't increase sales are way off base.

Heng, if advertising didn't increase sales, nobody would advertise. In the context of this government's recent laws concerning alcholic beverages, the question is does advertising greatly cause adults, aged 25 and above, to materially increase their consumption of alcoholic beverages?

My view is for the over 24 age group, advertising will primarily impact which brand they choose, but not whether they drink or don't drink alcoholic beverages. It appears to me, by instituting these bans, this government is saying Thai's are not responsible enough at the age of 25 or over to make adult decisions as it relates to consuming alcohol and baning advertising is the answer. Is this really what they believe, or have they made the ban on under 25's independently of the ban on advertising?

I think all the government is doing is agreeing with your statement "if advertising didn't increase sales, nobody would advertise." It has nothing to do with how they feel advertising affects certain demographics or whether anyone is adult enough or not. They aren't saying folks can't choose to drink.

:D

You are mixing (if i may say...) market and market shares...

We have 1 market of people drinking alcohool in Thailand. And many brands who are seeking shares of this market... In this regard, advertising is working well.

But no way advertising can increase the whole market. Marginally only.

Advert......... "Drink Beer Chang...... the slightly brown nectar"

Effect, minimal, but enough to chuck a few coins at.

Advertising does not promote alcohol, it merely sways the consumer from one brand to another.

It's already been mentioned..... oh I don't know, once or twice... in this thread, the most popular drink in certain parts of LOS has never ever been advertised.

Does anyone in here seriously think that a warning sign that says "Drinking can seriously damage your motorcy" will have any effect whatsoever.

It takes decades of education for that message to sink in....... sorry, T.I.T, centuries.

You are mixing (if i may say...) market and market shares...

We have 1 market of people drinking alcohool in Thailand. And many brands who are seeking shares of this market... In this regard, advertising is working well.

But no way advertising can increase the whole market. Marginally only.

I must not have explained my point clearly. I am well aware of the difference between overall market growth vis a vis increases in market share. My point has nothing to do with this. Rather, my point is that I am very skeptical whether the authorities responsible for these laws really thought out the impact of each law in conjunction with the existence of the other.

If they say ban all advertising as it relates to alcoholic beverages, then fine. If they say only people 25 and older can make mature, rationale decisions about consuming alcoholic beverages, then fine. However, when they combine the two, they are saying that Thai citizens, 25 and over, are still too immature enough to make rationale decisions concering their consumption of alcoholic beverages and the government must step in to save this older age group by banning all related advertising.

This is a rather ugly value judgement being made by the government about the maturity of its citizens aged 25 and over. In addition, I highly doubt that alcoholic advertisements are heavily weighted in a mature adults decision as to whether to drink or not to drink. It may be heavily weighted in the 25 and over age group's decision as to whether to consume Heineken over Chang, but not to switch from drinking Coke to Chang.

Advertising may, arguably, lead younger people to drink because it is made to look exciting

No.

Jumping out of aircraft with a parachute is exciting.... bungee jumping is exciting... diving off a 40m cliff into 10m of water is exciting.

Beer is not exciting, never has been, never will be....... I wasn't that stupid when I was a teenager, most people aren't...... they drink alcohol because their forebears did.

You're obviously not a beer drinker!

30016362-01.jpg

Children from anti-alcohol networks gather at the Public Health Ministry yesterday to give moral support to Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla who has pushed forward the alcohol-advertising ban that will be announced today.

Source: The Nation - 17 October 2006

FDA moves to ban alcohol ads

The Food and Drug Administration will today issue two orders to declare alcoholic drinks a controlled-label product and to completely ban advertisements for them.

FDA acting secretary general Manit Arunakul will sign the orders today, after which they will be forwarded for declaration in the Royal Gazette. They will take effect within 45 days of being published.

However, the ban will not be applied to printed matter that is published overseas or live-TV programmes being broadcast from overseas, for which Thailand is not the main target audience.

"But only real-time broadcasts will be allowed to display alcoholic-beverage brands. Any replay of it - even during half-time breaks must not show the brand logos," the Public Health Ministry's deputy permanent secretary Dr Rewat Wisarutvej said yesterday.

The move will require alcohol producers to list ingredients on labels for any liquid with more than five milligrams of ethanol per litre.

Witawat Jayapani, president of the Advertising Association of Thailand, said manufacturers and distributors of alcoholic drinks spent about Bt2 billion a year on advertising.

"About 30 per cent of their marketing budget is spent above the line or on media ads," he said. If the ban is enforced, he believed the promotional budget was likely to be diverted to other marketing activities, such as price-cutting.

Witawat also pointed out that the government would still fail to control ads for alcohol drinks on live broadcasts, foreign movies and the Internet.

"This means foreign brands will have an advantage over local brands," he said.

Paramet Ratchaiyaboon, the chairman of the Advertising Association of Thailand, believed the ad ban might not be the most effective solution for the problem. Alcohol ads had been strictly controlled for about 10 years but sales and the number of road accidents had failed to drop.

On the contrary, the sale of lao khao was increasing without ads. It held 68 per cent of the "whisky" market and 33 per cent of total sales of alcohol.

Chaowarong Limpatamapani, secretary-general of the National Press Council of Thailand, said most papers supported the ban on ads for alcoholic drinks even though their income would be cut when companies were forced to withdraw advertisements, he said.

Public Health Minister Mong-kol na Songkhla yesterday said research showed the ban on ads for alcoholic drinks should reduce youth consumption of alcohol by about 24 per cent a month.

Currently, ads for alcoholic drinks are banned on TV between 5am and 10pm. However, monitoring showed ads - direct or indirect - were still seen on air up to 237 times in April. "It comes in the form of a logo in the graphics or backdrops," Mongkol explained.

Last year, sales of liquor and beer around the country stood at 2,446 million litres - up from 2,307 million litres in 2003.

The amount of people with cirrhosis of the liver or classed as alcoholics also jumped from 3.2 per one million litres of liquor/beer sales to nearly 4 patients last year.

Disease Control Department director general Dr Thawat Suntrajarn said alcoholic drinks caused more than 60 diseases, and a huge number of casualties.

In a bid to reduce Thais' consumption, the Public Health Ministry will also put the Alcoholic Beverage Control Bill before the Cabinet today.

If the bill passes into legislation, the minimum age for people able to purchase alcoholic drinks will rise from 18 to 25 years.

Mongkol yesterday said ads for other products sharing the same trademark as alcoholic drinks would also be banned.

"As part of the bill, vending machines, hawking, discounts and promotional gimmicks cannot be used for the sale of alcoholic beverages while it will also be illegal to serve alcoholic drinks to people who are excessively drunk," Mongkol said.

He said the bill was approved at seven public hearings between June 8 and June 27.

A network of 84 organisations that call for people to abstain from alcohol threw their support behind the Public Health Ministry's move. Nearly 100 people from these groups brought flowers to the ministry to offer moral support. "The advertisements attract new drinkers," network representative Thira Watcharapranee said.

Boonrawd Trading marketing manager Chatchai Wiratyosin said the group had no argument with the advertising ban but just hoped that it would be enforced impartially on all alcoholic products with no exceptions.

"Advertising in live TV sports shows from foreign countries should be also forbidden, otherwise international alcohol brands will have an advantage over local brands," he said.

Chatchai said the state should increase the tax on white liquor, known as "lao khao" because its cheap price meant it was a huge seller - and also the main kind of alcohol consumed by drivers who have road accidents.

"Lao khao contains a high percentage of alcohol, but is charged with the lowest tax. And if the tax on it isn't raised, other existing alcohol producers will be forced to fight it with heavy price-cutting campaigns, which would stimulate greater consumption," he said.

Thai Beverage senior deputy managing director Somchai Suthikulpanit said he wanted the order to be announced clearly - so people know what is allowed and what is not allowed, so the company could react accordingly.

Source: The Nation - 17 October 2006

More fuzzy bits on the TV, like cigarettes and guns??? :D

Just bought a load of vcd's and dvd's from a trip to Pattaya. From a legal source and high profile outlet.

Started watching them and they are all censored. :D I've since returned them for audio cd's; and tried my best to get the illegal; poorer quality; but most importantly untampered-with versions on Beach Rd. :o

Ridicularse x 10. :D

Ban on booze adverts set to be issued today

To take effect after 45 days in Royal Gazette

POST REPORTERS

While Thailand is supposedly ranked fifth in the world for alcohol consumption, other countries with strict controls on alcohol advertising consume less.

Thawat Sundrachan, chief of the Disease Control Department, cited the World Health Organisation's findings that the number of alcohol drinkers in countries such as Iceland, Norway, Jordan and Egypt was 16% lower than in countries with no ban on adverts.

The number of casualties caused by drink-driving in those countries was also 23% less than those with fewer controls on alcoholic drinks, he said.

Bangkok post

http://bangkokpost.com/News/17Oct2006_news08.php

Ok, two of thosew countries are muslim where alcohol consumption is very low anyway and the other two have among the highest alcohol taxes in the world, what the hel_l does that have to do with advertising?????

If they really want to cut deaths and help all they need to do is reduce tax on beer and wine adn increase it on Whiskey particulary Lao Khao which should be made illegal.

This is not transparant. Tax and eductation are methods that have been proven to work, prohibition is doomed to faliure, what is it with these people???

In all press reports I have only seen people coming out in supports, nowhere have I seen anything from groups opposed to this ban.

It seems the new health minister is trying to make a name for himself, and those pushing their own missguided agenda are coming out to support him.

Where are the people with knowledge and education to shoot down this foolish idea that is doomed to faliure and will economically damage the country.

They are now saying they want to ban alcohol sales on sundays, what will that do to tourism???

Idiots!