Where Pattaya's best knom jin (vermicelli w/ fish sauce and raw veg)?

hermespan

I was recently in Had Yai and enjoyed the delicious and good value knom jin at a restaurant in Central Festival Mall there. Jienda Fishball Noodle eat all you can lunch buffet THB99

In Bangkok I eat at the small stall off Khao Sarn between Co-operative and other department store opposite Wat Chana Songkram R.M.

Where in Pattaya has the best?

Freshest, most generous choices of raw greens?

Most delicious fish soup to pour onto the rice vermicelli?

Cheapest all-you-can-eat that still tastes good?

One open latest?

One that offers duck eggs?

Etc

I don't know about the best places, but I believe that knom jin is some sort of rice noodles. Don't actually know the English for it.

Vermicelli is normally know as Woon sen, ba mee or sen mee and is mostly made from bean starch.

I just mention this as depending on whether you order in English or Thai, you may not get what you expect. Knom jin is served moist, more like spaghetti with a bowl (or bag) of nam yah.

OK, I'll stick my neck out here.

I think the OP is talking about what I'd transliterate as 'kanom jiin'. A white, thin coloured noodle. I think 'kanom jiin' could be translated literally as 'Chinese snack'.

Ba mee is egg noodle. Usually yellow.

Woon sen (vermicelli) is a thin see-thru noodle, often translated on menus as 'glass noodles'.

Ruen Khao Pun on third road south of central road opposite Access Inn, 'Khao Pun' is north/norteastern thai for Kanom Jin, literally the name of the place is house of Kanom Jin

A little shop on south Pattaya opposite the market right next to the temple is also pretty good, it's just a little shophouse with a row of table with vegetables haning on top of it. This shop is a bit more 'rustic' than Ruen Khao Pun above

Oh the difference between Kanom Jin and normal white noodle soup which also comes in vermicelli size (Sen Mi) is that Kanom Jin is fermented

Oh the difference between Kanom Jin and normal white noodle soup which also comes in vermicelli size (Sen Mi) is that Kanom Jin is fermented

I think 'sen mii' just means 'medium sized strand'.

I think ordinary noodles are called 'gway-tiiao' (choose your own transliteration). And usually there's a choice of 3 sizes of strand: yai (large), mii (medium) and lek (small).

I think vermicalli-size is 'lek'.

I think ordinary noodles are called 'gway-tiiao' (choose your own transliteration). And usually there's a choice of 3 sizes of strand: yai (large), mii (medium) and lek (small).

No, lek is fetuccini sized

No, lek is fetuccini sized

Google says this is fetticine (hope the attachment works).

And IMHO that size kind of resembles gway-tiao mii (medium) or yai (big). But not lek.

post-85392-0-63341700-1450781409_thumb.j

It's okay, even the thais confuses Sen Mee (the white thinnest one) and Bamee (the yellow egg ones) often in the noodle place, when ordering these two, the cook/shop people would have to confirm if you are indeed ordering the yellow one or the fine thin one

Guay Tiao is an umbrealla term like 'pasta' all the noodle sizes are Guay Tiao

Guay Tiao is Chinese in origin, Thai Chinese are predominantly Taechiw and from that part of China, the noodle soup are fish balls based,

But not Kanom Jin, Kanom Jin is fermented rice noodle local to south east asia, Despite having the word 'Jin' or China in the name, it has nothing to do with China but is of one of the ethnic languages around here. 'Khao Pun' is also the name used in NorthEastern Isan area of Thailand.

Enough about being pedantic though, back to the original poster's question? Where's the best Kanom Jin place in Pattaya?

And what about the sauce/curry? what's your favorite? Which shop is good for what? I am not adventurous enough to try the fish ones, I only go for the plain old green curry. What about all you can eat buffet style? Are there any in Pattaya? even with the a la carte place, when loaded up with vegetables and boiled eggs I find that it's quite filling already. Kanom Jin must have been devised as a vegetable delivery system.

Sen Mi is smaller than Sen Lek.

Some thai still confuse about Sen Mi and Ba Mi. Sen Mi is very small white noodle, but Ba Mi is egg noodle.

When you order Sen Mi or Ba Mi, the waitress or the cooker sometime confirm that Sen Mi Kao (White?) or Ba Mi Leang (Yellow Ba Mi).

1389511620.jpg

This is Sen Mi (white and very small size like angle hair pasta)

167.jpg

This is Sen Lek. (Flat white rice noodle like linguine pasta)

Bami is egg noodle.

id_58080.jpg

Kanoom Jeen is another kind. it is not like noodle soup. but it is noodle which have with curry.

Ruen Khao Pun on third road south of central road opposite Access Inn, 'Khao Pun' is north/norteastern thai for Kanom Jin, literally the name of the place is house of Kanom Jin

A little shop on south Pattaya opposite the market right next to the temple is also pretty good, it's just a little shophouse with a row of table with vegetables haning on top of it. This shop is a bit more 'rustic' than Ruen Khao Pun above

I think ruen Khao Pun is a bit expensive. Not on price but the portions are very small.

In Pattaya there is Kanoom Jeen Khun Bee. The shop is a little bit hard to find. It is located near big C Extra. check the location on its facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kanomjeen.kunbee/?fref=ts

Kanoom Jee Khun bee also has an outlet on Big C extra food court.