"Hey You Farang", or are you really a human being at your school?

lostinisaan

I am fortunate, in five years of teaching from the outset I told the students, my name is not teacher, it is Alex and I am not a "farang" I am a person like you.

At all of the schools I was addressed as Alex both by staff and students, not ferang and not teacher.

You have to set the rules.

post-200208-0-22124000-1450753811_thumb.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are to sensitive, grow some backbone or a smoother back.

This just reminds me of all the nonsense the Muslims pull, getting upset over every little fart.

...."all the nonsense the Muslims pull, getting over every little fart"

Yes BrainLife, you need to get some.

I understand and agree with the point made by the OP. As said by Colabamumbai (#59) it is up to you to set the rules with your students and other teachers. Personally, I don't care too much about loose use of the word 'farang'. In fact, I would probably own the word and get the students to respect me as the 'farang teacher'. For example, once the teacher has made the announcement and left, I would gently mock what she has said about me and ask the students what they should call me. What do they want me to call them when talking to another teacher? As a farang teacher, I think we have a licence to gently challenge some of these inbuilt prejudices in a way that Thai teachers cannot.

Whether the other teacher meant it as an insult or not, you're making an issue of something that is not. Do you really think having your wife get involved is going to improve the situation or just make it worse -- for you?

More often than not, too many farang like you take offense where there is none, projecting your own biases and preconceived notions onto others.

I was a Teacher in Thailand for 10 years straight And here is my advice, for what it's worth.

1) Every morning before you start work remind yourself why you are there at the school. It's to educate and improve the lives of the students. Not the other Teachers, unless it is in your contract to do so.

2) When you are called names by a Teacher or student and it boils your piss. Take a deep breath and remind your self of point 1. There is no room in a school for Teachers who let their egos get the better of them. Imagine what the, ugly, fat, gay, mentally challenged kids are going through every day in that place. And you think you have it bad?

3) They are usually big classes, it doesn't matter. If you have only influenced one kid out of all them to be a better smarter person and changed that kids life for the better you have succeeded and can be proud of yourself. It really doesn't matter if everyone else thinks your a Jackass or call you Farang.

I eventually over the period of 12 years (also 2 years Drama Teaching in the UK) worked with over 20,000 children. In some way I touched all their lives and I'm proud of that.

Not bad for someone who had to put up with the cruel nickname of "Dopey" all the way through High School.

Next time someone calls you "Falang" correct them and tell them to call you "Falang dee dee" or "Falang Law mak mak".

You get 3 times the salary and do 3 time less work, end of story.

I really don't understand where this myth of " ... 3x the salary ..." comes from.

I've just looked at a salary spreadsheet for all the teachers at my wife's school - a rural Anubaan to M3 Government school in Isaan, much like the location of Lostinisaan's school, I'd guess.

The AVERAGE basic salary at the school s 36,320 ฿ per month, ranging from 52,060 - 17,270 ฿. With qualification supplements on top of that, it brings the average with supplements to 44,541 ฿ per month.

Neglecting the qualification supplements, are you seriously suggesting Lostinisaan's making 108,000 ฿ a month - 3x the average pay? I doubt he's making as much as 3x the lowest salary at that school - in fact, I wouldn't mind betting he's not making much more than the lowest-paid teacher at that school.

I'm not and never could be a teacher but I can certainly read a sheet of figures.

I quite often read your posts, and with 4,000 odd posts under your belt your not a newbie to TV or for that matter Thailand.

There has been for the past say 5 years arguments about the word falang/farang, as to whether it should be considered as racist, by the expat community. Ever since coming to Thailand in 1980, I have always been referred to as a falang (I will use my pronunciation as it is the closest to how it is said by my wife and others in my village), it has never concerned me. I know the exact meaning, and its history. I have never taken offence, even now. However your posting concerning the context of how it was used to students, is very timely. Thai use it when they don't know your name, or are not close enough to call you "uncle" etc. in a family situation. This woman should have know your name. I would have been offended, and I would have made her lose some face about it by challenging her in front of those same students.

Thais are racist, there is no doubt about it. And they are extremely colour conscious as you would know. Their racism is based on the class system, that even is in place today. And in my mind getting worse, with increasingly hostile administrations. There are no social conventions regarding racism in Thailand, and there is virtually no instruction on the subject by parents or schools.

Falang to some maybe an "F" word to some, but not to me. I suppose we falang have to be grateful that we are not called by the same hateful spiteful words that are reserved by the Thai for the Indians, Chinese, Japanese etc.

Personally I would speak to the teacher, and to her face, tell her you believe she was being racist, and more importantly undermining your authority as a teacher to those children.

Without wanting to rehash an old argument the Original post,and actually many others, just backs my, much maligned theory that farang is used as a nasty derogatory racist word.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You get 3 times the salary and do 3 time less work, end of story.

Not sure this is true. The average 10+ year Thai teacher gets about 40,000 - 60,000 Baht. A beginner Thai teacher might get 15,000 Baht.

A farang would probably average about 30,000 Baht. I guess this is comparatively good money for a farang in Thailand with limited experience.

The average experienced Thai teacher has about 15 teaching hours per week. A farang teacher will average about 20 teaching hours, but this will tend to creep up over time because of the need to substitute other farang teachers or take up 'special' classes. It's true that Thai teachers will have additional set 'voluntary' duties, typically about 10 hours per week, while the farang will be left to their own devices.

Even if you get the teacher to listen to you and your wife she will be letting the words drift around her choosing not to actually listen.You will basically accomplish nothing .To her she will then be an another block between you and the students.You will still be THE FRANG

Thailand is, ostensibly, a caste society, just like India. There are levels. If you have white skin, money and you're from Bangkok, then you are at the top of the pile of dung. If you're dum dum (black skinned) and from Issan You're at the bottom of the pile of dung. If you're a farang, they will always try to position you somewhere under the pile of dung.

Then there is the ever present mao mao mao (trash talking) where they jockey for a higher position or status. This is achieved, for example, by having a car with a red plate and gaining 'face', which in their eyes, lifts them up. Or, they talk badly about another person, to put the person down so they can feel better about themselves. (Image/face is more important than substance in LOS)

You are never going to change this horrid culture. Why try? You can suffer in silence, or if you have any self respect, remove your self from the situation/Thailand. coffee1.gif

Rarely stated better

Sabai Dee?

Thanks for the replies, I had to take my wife to school anyway, because a teacher got sick and we bumped into her at lunch.

It was only a short chat and nobody lost face.

She did understand that it was impolite in front of the students and aplogized. All was in a relaxed and funny atmosphere, no beating and screaming women involved.

Great, what some posters know about experienced teacher's salary. That's another topic.

Farang doesn't mean a bad word to me, it's used by almost all Thais and I know that many wives call us husbands "Mann", when they talk to some friends. "Where's the thing"?= Mann Bai Sai? facepalm.gif

Would my wife call me "Mann" in front of others, that would be the end of our marriage. Thanks for some really good Farang posts... wai2.gif

one needs to keep a cool head and things in perspective. the society is not progressive nor is the education. it is a country of peasant culture. you need to feel confident within yourself most importantly then things wont upset that much.

i encountered the things that upset the OP while teaching temp at a rural school. i really dont care and not phased. even had some sympathy for those people. have also lectured at abac and mahidol where i wish it would be less formal in addressing people.

take a deep breath and relax.

she is Thai and will understand the common usage...

... which is a derogatory, lazy or disrespectful term for a foreigner.

I know there are countless posts on this forum about the word 'farang', and heated debate as to whether it is a polite way to describe a foreigner or a not-so-polite way.

The bottom line is that Lost In Issan is working as a teacher in this school. The Thai teacher must surely know his name. It is totally disrespectful not to address him as 'Teacher xxx' or 'Ajarn xxx'.

It would be equally rude if I were working in a Thai school with Thai teaching colleagues, and to address my class of kids 'When this Thai person has finished, then I'll do yyyy etc'.

It is just plain rude and ignorant, and I rebuke any Thai person who addresses me as 'farang'. I have a name. If you don't know my name, then you could say 'khon dang chat'.

Please only use 'farang' when you're shopping in the fruit market.

He is not an Ajarn, he is a Kru.

In Thai schools, all teachers address each other with the more respectful "ajarn" and students call us that too.

"Then there is the ever present mao mao mao (trash talking) where they jockey for a higher position or status. This is achieved, for example, by having a car with a red plate and gaining 'face', which in their eyes, lifts them up. Or, they talk badly about another person, to put the person down so they can feel better about themselves. (Image/face is more important than substance in LOS)"

Just like a lot of people all over the world???

Archived