China names and shames 5 tourists over bad behavior

Jonathan Fairfield

China names and shames 5 tourists over bad behavior

BEIJING (AP) — China's tourism authority named and shamed another five tourists for bad behavior and says it is working with airlines on a possible flying ban.

Those added to the list of "uncivilized behavior" by tourists include two women and a man who brawled after one woman's seat was bumped during boarding of a flight from Cambodia to the western city of Chengdu.

The three were forcibly removed from the plane under captain's orders and the flight was delayed for one hour, the China National Tourism Administration said.

Another man was listed after he was arrested in Japan for assaulting a convenience store clerk whom he accused of disrespecting his wife. The last was a woman who attacked her tour guide with hot tea after learning the price of her son's ticket to a western China scenic site was not included in the package.

Their names and a description of their alleged misbehavior were entered onto the administration's list and will remain there for one to three years.

Over that period, they can be refused service by travel agents, airlines, hotels and scenic sites.

In a further step, the administration said it was working with major Chinese airlines on "enacting definite restrictive measures" against those on the list, which currently includes 16 names in total.

The government has grown concerned about the negative impact on China's image stemming from numerous incidents of bad behavior by Chinese tourists at home and abroad, ranging from fighting with air crews to defacing cultural artifacts.

Social media platforms have spread descriptions and video clips of the incidents, prompting widespread derision among the public and occasional online campaigns to identify the perpetrators.

Rising incomes, relaxed regulations and cheap flights have permitted record numbers of Chinese to travel in recent years. Among other frequent complaints are line-cutting, smoking where banned, littering and fouling public toilets.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-20

Add few zeros behind that for misbehaving Chinese tourist all over the world...

By the way, I thought that TV have a policy of not allowing to name and shame on TVF...

That policy has to do with Thailand and Thai laws concerning the same, not AP stories where no on is named and no one would be subject to Thai laws.

Line cutting I have experienced with Chinese Also loud and rude talking in areas that it should not be with no regard for others

In a nutshell I have been to Shanghai a few times and find in general Chinese very rude. Does not bode well for wanting to go again.

And on the flip side of the coin People in Korea and Japan are incredibly nice and not rude at all but the opposite

And now...some lessons on queuing up and in how to walk down a sidewalk in single file as opposed to herd style. Next, how to use escalators and moving walkways by not blocking entrances and exits and keeping the left side free. Stage three, talking QUIETLY. Stage four, no spitting. Stage five, how not to be a locust at a buffet.

Edited by Mr Creosote

I do hope that other Nations are not going to follow this example or Pattaya will become a ghost town.

----------------------------------------

I personally wouldn't mind at all.

I once saw 3 Germans removed in a stop at Bangkok by the captain's request by the Thai police for being drunk and spilling a cup of beer on a Singapore Chinese businessman on a Singapore Airline flight.

I for one think it is a positive step for serious offences commited abroad and other countries should be following China's lead.

Particular attention being paid to serial offenders who don't know how to stop.

fouling public toilets.

I was proud to discover they have started using public toilets...sidewalks, behind buildings and pubic parks was previously their favorite places to soil...

To say the Chinese are simply uncouth...would be to them a compliment...IMHO

This is great, a good deterrent as well as punishment but it would be better to cancel their passports, and not allow a replacement for a few years.

Sadly I have always been of the opinion that any seriously 'cashed-up' tourist from certain countries was more likely to be a gangster, a fraudster - anything other than a decent respectable human being. China being one, Russia ditto. Met many very nice people from these places but they did not show off loads of money.

Thing is most of them are fakes, never really had any manners but - wealth demands incredible respect amongst servile people in their country, regardless of the pedigree of the holder. Only when they are out of their crystal palaces do they come across people who have no respect or liking for them and they don't handle it well. Weak, narcissistic imbeciles who think they rule the world. In their (fake) Guccis, Armanis and Jimmy Choos... bah.gif

Give me backpackers over nouveau riche any day.

PS: What wonderful synonyms for nouveau riche: parvenus, arrivistes, upstarts, social climbers, and my favorite: vulgarians. clap2.gif

I simply love this "name and shame" approach!

And to think that the Chinese also practice the "face" game!

It simply goes to show you the "face" that China wants to project and protect.

Good on them!

As for Thailand well...

Great idea,but you could do this in one of our "liberal kiss the axx of the minority" countries.

This is great, a good deterrent as well as punishment but it would be better to cancel their passports, and not allow a replacement for a few years.

Sadly I have always been of the opinion that any seriously 'cashed-up' tourist from certain countries was more likely to be a gangster, a fraudster - anything other than a decent respectable human being. China being one, Russia ditto. Met many very nice people from these places but they did not show off loads of money.

Thing is most of them are fakes, never really had any manners but - wealth demands incredible respect amongst servile people in their country, regardless of the pedigree of the holder. Only when they are out of their crystal palaces do they come across people who have no respect or liking for them and they don't handle it well. Weak, narcissistic imbeciles who think they rule the world. In their (fake) Guccis, Armanis and Jimmy Choos... bah.gif

Give me backpackers over nouveau riche any day.

PS: What wonderful synonyms for nouveau riche: parvenus, arrivistes, upstarts, social climbers, and my favorite: vulgarians. clap2.gif

Are you for real?????

I really don't think that the wealthy Chinese and Russians are the one misbehaving. They are arrogant, yes for sure. But I really think that the bad tourists are the ones that have never before left China or Russia.

They come from the country side, where there are no real manners, and everything goes.

I think that we can compare them to Scandinavians traveling to Greece and Mallorca in the late 70's and early 80's. They were also pretty rowdy - but they still knew how to use a bathroom:-)

I would never prefer backpackers. Smelly, stingy and all following the same guidebook like lemmings with their over-sized backpacks and "blinkers"

Edited by rasmus5150

The reality is this is all about scale

1% of 1.3 billion Chinese who are obnoxious vs 1% of 5 million Kiwis and you will get the idea

I have a bunch of kiwis I have met in my time there where the manners are astounding , foul mouthed and hardly reflective of the kiwis I know and met around the world

Everyone hates obnoxious tourists and I would say frankly where there are naysayers in Thailand who believe they are idiots , the reality is also without these bus loads of first time tourists , many in the hospitality sector in most countries will be out of a job

When was the last time you bought a Naraya bag, a photo on a plate and boxes of mangoes and nuts for your families ...the reality is most tourists here now have no scale to support the many bus Drivers , tuk tuk , mango shake sellers and etc etc

I think the Chinese government is doing the right thing but praising the CCP is like saying you are communist so I understand

Edited by LawrenceChee