Winter ups sweater demand, prompts Thai govt concern

webfact

Winter ups sweater demand, prompts govt concern

w1.jpg

BUENG KAN, 21 December 2015 (NNT) – The wintry weather has upped the demand for sweaters in several parts of the country and prompted the government to focus its concern on risk groups.

In the northeastern province of Bueng Kan, the windy and cold weather has made second-hand winter clothes hot items for local people. The temperature there has been recorded at 14 degrees Celsius in the morning. Doctors warned users of second-hand winter gears to prevent skin infection risks by washing and boiling their winter gears first.

Up North, Directo- General of the Port Authority of Thailand Lt. Suttinan Hattawong has visited 24 schools in Chiang Rai Province with Deputy Governor Arkom Sukapan and the chief officer of Wiang Kan District to hand winter clothes to 7,800 underprivileged students. The temperature in Chiang Rai has fallen by two to four degrees Celsius.

Meanwhile, Spokesperson of the Prime Minister’s Office Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd disclosed that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha advised residents in winter-stricken areas, especially children and elderly people as well as those in seafront provinces to protect themselves from weather-related health risks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-21 footer_n.gif

Wow, a mighty cold winter at a balmy 14 degrees. Try growing up in a country where the temperature is a staggering -40 degrees in the morning then you can complain.

You must be from Canada !

In some instances I would have to reply that unfortunately I am.

Jolly noble of the Director General of the Ports Authority to be taking an interest in Chiang Rai, which is about as far fro a port as you can get in Thailand!

I can understand where you are coming from with this comment, but, upon investigation, I find the following.

1.Capt.Suttinan Hattawong is the Director General of Laem Chabang Deep Sea port.

2. Chiang Saen Port is a small port on the Mekong River in Chiang Rai province handling shipping to and from China and can be seen here

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.266543,100.0964225,2861m/data=!3m1!1e3

http://www.csp.port.co.th/eng/dataset2/data1.html

So, apparently the big boss came up to see what was happening in this far flung northern outpost.

But, yes indeed, there is a port there

Never heard of boiling clothes.

No sweaters left over from last year?

What ever happened to hand-me-down's?

I had 3 older brothers & my parents never seemed to run out of clothes for me.

Never heard of boiling clothes?

Boiling clothes in a 'Copper' in the back yard was the standard method of washing in years gone by - that is the years before washing machines were invented.

However, don't boil your pure wool items, you'll never be able to wear them again, although pure wool in Thaialand would be non existant I would imagine.

Still definitely T Shirt weather in Nong Khai [23c] , even though a lot of the locals are dressed up to look like Captain Scott readying his team of huskies for a long trek to 7/11.

My father-in-law is quite funny. He procured a US Army 1970's era field jacket from somewhere & wears it in the winter with shorts and flip flops! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Wow, a mighty cold winter at a balmy 14 degrees. Try growing up in a country where the temperature is a staggering -40 degrees in the morning then you can complain.

And how sweaty, red and ridiculous did you look when you first came here and the weather was a mild 35? I hope you didn't complain about the heat :rolleyes: