Lindsey Graham ends his 2016 presidential campaign

webfact

Lindsey Graham ends his 2016 presidential campaign
By LAURIE KELLMAN and BILL BARROW

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham ended his 2016 campaign for president Monday, saying he remains committed to working to achieve security for the American people and helping the GOP expand its base.

With just over a month to go until voting begins, the South Carolina senator — the only candidate from one of the four early voting states — posted a video telling supporters "we have run a campaign we can be proud of." He noted his emphasis on national security and improving the nation's balance sheet, saying he "put forth bold and practical solutions to big problems."

In a taped interview broadcast later on CNN, the 60-year-old senator warned that the election is "not about 2016" but instead "an election for the heart and soul of the Republican Party." He warned that the current GOP front-runner Donald Trump cannot defeat a Democrat like Hillary Clinton "without some major adjustments."

Having mustered little support in the polls, Graham's exit will not have an immediate effect on the race in the final stretch before the Feb. 1 Iowa caucuses and the Feb. 9 New Hampshire primary. But his decision could produce a ripple effect in his home state, which follows New Hampshire with a Feb. 20 primary. Graham will likely be a highly sought-after endorsement for those still in the race, though he's given no indication of who he would back.

By ending his campaign, Graham deprives the GOP field of perhaps its most aggressive military hawk — he said even before the June 1 launch of his campaign that more American servicemen and women "will die in Iraq and eventually in Syria to protect our homeland." That was often a stark contrast to other candidates who joined Graham in blasting President Barack Obama as weak in his approach to Islamic State militants, yet hedged when it came to questions of ground forces.

Graham also takes with him a wry sense of humor that he showcased on the campaign trail and in debates — though he never did qualify for one of the prime-time sessions, and was instead relegated to the earlier undercard events. His solution to gridlock in Washington: "We're going to drink more." It was a lesson he attributed to his upbringing in the bar that his parents owned and to the political friendship between Republican President Ronald Reagan and Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neill.

When Trump gave out Graham's cell phone number at a South Carolina campaign stop, Graham answered with a satirical video in which he attempts — multiple times — to destroy his phone. Jabbing at Clinton over her use of a private server, he mocked his own computer illiteracy, saying he's never sent an email at all.

Graham plunged into the contest highlighting his foreign affairs experience in the Senate and arguing that newcomers need not apply for a job that offers no chance for "on-the-job training." At the time, anything was possible because the mob of GOP candidates had no clear leader. But over the summer, political neophytes like Trump and Ben Carson surged to the front of the pack and forced far better-known candidates, such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, to fight for support.

Urged to run by 2008 GOP presidential nominee John McCain, Graham never gained traction, failing even to qualify for an undercard debate in November.

An Air Force veteran and reservist, Graham has called Obama "a small-minded guy in big times." After attacks on Paris killed 129 people, Graham pushed for an authorization of military force against the Islamic State that would allow the U.S. to attack the groups' supporters anywhere, with no time limit.

But as he visited core GOP supporters in Iowa and New Hampshire, Graham did not abandon positions that separated him from the GOP's conservative base. In New Hampshire, Graham defended his call for an immigration overhaul that includes both improvements in border security and a path to legal status for the millions of people living in the country illegally. "I am not going to give an inch on the idea," he said.

Graham, a member of the conservative class that swept into control of the House in 1994 has, at times, joined Democrats on other high-profile votes. In October 2013, he voted for a deal that ended a partial government shutdown and raised the nation's borrowing limit.

He has panned conservatives who have been willing to let the government shut down if their demands aren't met, saying: "We're a right-of-center nation. We're not a right-ditch nation." Graham also supported both of Obama's nominees to the Supreme Court. "Elections have consequences," he explained.
----

Barrow reported from Atlanta.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-22

No mention of any moneys he may have in his PAC... In the past, a potential runner would have to put down a substantial deposit, which he/she would only get back if they garnered more than a minimum number of votes. Today, that deposit is immaterial and candidates collect millions using PAC (like a sham charity) from rich lobbyists donors, which they get to keep!

So, get out there and promise the earth, convince enough fools and you get rich(er). Most of the Republican candidates - if not all - are just there to fill their coffers and know they do not stand a hope in hell of winning, with one exception - The Donald of course...

Jon Stewart for president clap2.gif

1 idiot down....x more to go!

There are many idiots in this Greek tragedy or slapstick comedy (you can choose) what is the current GOP lineup, but Lindsey Graham was not one of the idiots.

You may not, I certainly don't, agree with him on many issues but that doesn't make him an idiot.

We seem to have entered a weird phase of GOP politics where anyone who actually is intelligent, albeit with different views becomes marginalized compared to what is basically a Barnum & Bailey fairground barker.

Graham is a war monger, not someone I could even possibly support, but I would rather listen to him present reasoned arguments for his position, than an endless tirade of 'twitter politics' from the current rogue Prince of the GOP.

The mandarins of the GOP have for at least two decades played their dog whistle politics to stir up their ever increasingly angry white male working poor base, now they are reaping the consequences when a Trump arming not with a dog whistle but a bullhorn consigns Graham, Bush, Christie to the garbage.

Weird world when Cruz almost seems the voice of reason in the GOP!!!!!

Edited by GinBoy2

There are many idiots in this Greek tragedy or slapstick comedy (you can choose) what is the current GOP lineup, but Lindsey Graham was not one of the idiots.

You may not, I certainly don't, agree with him on many issues but that doesn't make him an idiot.

We seem to have entered a weird phase of GOP politics where anyone who actually is intelligent, albeit with different views becomes marginalized compared to what is basically a Barnum & Bailey fairground barker.

Graham is a war monger, not someone I could even possibly support, but I would rather listen to him present reasoned arguments for his position, than an endless tirade of 'twitter politics' from the current rogue Prince of the GOP.

The mandarins of the GOP have for at least two decades played their dog whistle politics to stir up their ever increasingly angry white male working poor base, now they are reaping the consequences when a Trump arming not with a dog whistle but a bullhorn consigns Graham, Bush, Christie to the garbage.

I put Graham in the idiot column. He was in lockstep with the rest of the Republican idiots. What makes him different? His reasoned arguments were every bit the same FoxNews/Wingnut media positions as the rest.

Let's not give Graham credit when none is due.

I hope he'll now have the strength to come out of the closet now that he doesn't have to appeal to Iowa voters any longer. whistling.gif

The whole GOP - field is a bunch of lunatics, war - and fear mongers, morons or dangerous idiots!

If you want, pick the one that characterizes Graham best!

I find myself in the weird position of defending a Republican, given the fact that I'm a lifelong Democrat.

Idiot I would suggest denotes a person of limited intelligence. Graham is not an unintelligent man. He may hold views which you or I disagree with, but he's not an idiot, and can debate his points of view with some eloquence, without resorting to the Trumpesque name calling

Indeed few of the GOP candidates are idiots, or unintelligent; extreme, bigoted, racists, those terms apply, idiot does not.

Trump for the fairground barker that he is, is not an idiot either. In point of fact he's a master of what he's doing, throwing the bottom feeders of the Republican base, some or many could be described as idiots, with extreme right wing nonsense. The trouble for the GOP establishment is after decades of their dog whistle politics, they have created DJT thats feeding the raw meat to satisfy the hunger in the 'idiot' part of their electorate.

So categorize them however you want, but I would suggest that calling someone an idiot is the kind of twitter tactic that the people who you really despise are quite adept at using.

Graham, Bush, Christie lost not because of Trump. but because they are all professional politicians, and the electorate has had enough of the charlatans and isn't going to take it any more!

While Trump may say what he likes and appeal to a certain segment of voters, if an individual doesn't have what it takes to attract the electorate, s/he is going to get the heave ho. It may be tempting to blame Trump for everything ( I'm surprised they don't blame GW on him ) but their downfall is on their own shoulders, not the Donald's.

Graham is a prime example of the dinosaur Republican Establishment politico... who is not only out of step and out of touch with 35-40% of his party's electorate ... he also openly derides them. Graham has shown that he has no concept of which group of Republican voters that is primarily responsible for winning back both the U.S. House and Senate to Republican control... Neither a politician nor a political party can go about pissing on the legs of their Core Supporters without eventual dire consequences... Graham is a great example of the canary in the coal mine known as the Republican Party Establishment ... a dinosaur becoming extinct... thrashing about having not seen nor recognized the comet that is crashing into his backyard...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Graham is a prime example of the dinosaur Republican Establishment politico... who is not only out of step and out of touch with 35-40% of his party's electorate ... he also openly derides them. Graham has shown that he has no concept of which group of Republican voters that is primarily responsible for winning back both the U.S. House and Senate to Republican control... Neither a politician nor a political party can go about pissing on the legs of their Core Supporters without eventual dire consequences... Graham is a great example of the canary in the coal mine known as the Republican Party Establishment ... a dinosaur becoming extinct... thrashing about having not seen nor recognized the comet that is crashing into his backyard...

Graham is a perfect example of the detested RINO that has infested so much of the Republican Party.bah.gif

Graham is a perfect example of the detested RINO that has infested so much of the Republican Party.bah.gif

:blink:

On the contrary, it is the hyperpartisan nutjobs that are infesting the Republican party and are attempting to force it so far to the extreme right that the prospect of winning back the white house seems increasingly unlikely.

They are the interlopers. They are the ones who barged in uninvited. They are the ones who need to leave and form their own party if they don't subscribe to traditional republican posirions.