Proof of address for 5 year license

Kenny202

Letter from the immigration is free. If they ask for money, it is your turn to ask for a receipt before giving any money. It works normally, at least in Phuket.

I doubt you would get it free in Jomtiem. I am reluctant to criticize as they have always provided me great service in the last few years and I hear bad things of other regional offices. I just have a nice new retirement extension!

Got to renew my 5 year license by next week, a letter from the Amphur is fine, but you need to take the local headman with you = no problem, went to see my local headman at his home last night, we are going tomorrow at 10 am..

done it the same way for the past 3x ..... if it is the same as 5 years ago will be in and out with letter within 10 mins.

​then to the Hospital for the medical certificate, then go in the afternoon for renewing the license. [ tip go about 30 mins before they close = max time to see the silly Video is 10 mins]

bureaucracy yes, I have been on the Amphur's Computer since 2004, just every 2 year the head of the Amphur changes, staff are still the same.

You don't need a medical certificate to renew a driver license.

Yes that is what I read........ my Thai friend phoned them to ask they said yes you do.. !!??

So no idea + was not any communication problems as all in Thai by a Thai person..

Edit: Anyone 65 or over needed a Medical Certificate at Nonthaburi in the last few weeks ?

I went yesterday. I took a medical certificate and she handed it back and said I didn't need it. I used my work permit as proof of residency. This was a mistake. She sent me back to copy all pages twice. Each time start at the back of the queue. Third time one page not clear enough, I complained that I had waited in the queue for 3 hrs now and she allowed me to take the final copy to the window jumping the third queue.

I then waited to have my pic taken and when I sat ready she asked for my yellow slip with proof of tax paid. I complained that it had nothing to do with paid up tax and she took my pic and continued. All in all 6 hr wait for renewal of licence.

I'm sure they do it on purpose to demonstrate the awesome power they hold. <deleted>

Got to renew my 5 year license by next week, a letter from the Amphur is fine, but you need to take the local headman with you = no problem, went to see my local headman at his home last night, we are going tomorrow at 10 am..

done it the same way for the past 3x ..... if it is the same as 5 years ago will be in and out with letter within 10 mins.

​then to the Hospital for the medical certificate, then go in the afternoon for renewing the license. [ tip go about 30 mins before they close = max time to see the silly Video is 10 mins]

bureaucracy yes, I have been on the Amphur's Computer since 2004, just every 2 year the head of the Amphur changes, staff are still the same.

You don't need a medical certificate to renew a driver license.

Yes that is what I read........ my Thai friend phoned them to ask they said yes you do.. !!??

So no idea + was not any communication problems as all in Thai by a Thai person..

Edit: Anyone 65 or over needed a Medical Certificate at Nonthaburi in the last few weeks ?

I went yesterday. I took a medical certificate and she handed it back and said I didn't need it. I used my work permit as proof of residency. This was a mistake. She sent me back to copy all pages twice. Each time start at the back of the queue. Third time one page not clear enough, I complained that I had waited in the queue for 3 hrs now and she allowed me to take the final copy to the window jumping the third queue.

I then waited to have my pic taken and when I sat ready she asked for my yellow slip with proof of tax paid. I complained that it had nothing to do with paid up tax and she took my pic and continued. All in all 6 hr wait for renewal of licence.

Bad luck ??

If your talking about Nonthaburi Office, went Thursday, arrived 14:30, Did not need the Medical Certificate, did not need the Proof of address.. she said everything is now a day on the computer database, save time, money and paper next time.. 15:05 left with new [3rd] 5 year licences...... did not even have to watch the Video this time.

I go out of my way to be respectful and polite <snip>

<snip> First mistake we picked this dog faced horrible cow in the transport office.<snip>

Your self perception and actions seem to be disconnected whistling.gif

Did the 5 year license thing the year before last, sweet as.

We rang the local transport department, found what specific local requirements they had as a government office, as requirements do vary, we had the required gear to present, the day was excellent. Only downer was the time spent waiting after the tests were completed and before the license was issued, about 90 mins for me.

This is not directed at the OP, as there will always be at least one obstreperous government official in any department across the world but, if in Thailand you consistently come across grumpy unhelpfull government officials, then maybe look to yourselves and not the official across the desk.

This is not directed at the OP, as there will always be at least one obstreperous government official in any department across the world but, if in Thailand you consistently come across grumpy unhelpfull government officials, then maybe look to yourselves and not the official across the desk.

Certainly sounds directed at me. I find some of these types in most government departments here. They are petty and miserable. More so to their fellow Thais. They are the lowest form as far as I'm concerned and if I could speak Thai I'd love nothing better than to berate and publically belittle them for all the world to see. Same as they treat others every day

<snip> if I could speak Thai I'd love nothing better than to berate and publically belittle them for all the world to see. Same as they treat others every day

Kenny, and this is directly said to you, if you believe the quote above, you haven't really even taken the first step to understanding Thailand and the Thai Culture. Your proposed reaction is exactly the opposite of what is required.

Your days here will be a combination of misunderstandings and unhappiness.

I'll give you an example.

When I went to that 5 year conversion for the 1 year temp license, we did the initial paperwork then we were shuffled off for the 'chat'.

3 lines of maybe 10 - 15 people.

I was the front of line # 1

The head guy rattles off in Thai for maybe 7 - 10 mins, then asks, in Thai, if we understand?

Silence for a few secs ...

I clear my throat gently, then clearly say, Thai tone perfect, sorry, I don't speak Thai tongue.png

Then a BIG smile to him, he laughs, the whole group then has the permission to laugh laugh.png

Then I was the VIP of the group. Thai men then got up to give their seat while I waited to do the reaction and depth perception test.

I'm nothing special, it just comes down to people skills and reading body language. That is universal and not language dependent.

I genuinely don't speak Thai nor understand it, but have learnt a few phrases which are helpfull.

Can count up 100 etc.

I warmly suggest you do the same, if you haven't done already.

Pm me if you want a little help with learning the Thai language as there are a few free videos which are easy and very helpfull.

Just my 2c worth and trying to help.

Appreciate all that but this was how she treated my respectful and tolerant missus, not me. Observed her doing the same to other Thais too. DELETED Hopefully soon they will develop an ombudsman or some tribunal where these people will be held accountable for their despicable behaviour, same as other countries have done. These "service" people are there to help and assist people. Not the other way around.

Edited by seedy
abusive

<snip> if I could speak Thai I'd love nothing better than to berate and publically belittle them for all the world to see. Same as they treat others every day

Kenny, and this is directly said to you, if you believe the quote above, you haven't really even taken the first step to understanding Thailand and the Thai Culture. Your proposed reaction is exactly the opposite of what is required.

When I went to that 5 year conversion for the 1 year temp license, we did the initial paperwork then we were shuffled off for the 'chat'.

The head guy rattles off in Thai for maybe 7 - 10 mins, then asks, in Thai, if we understand?

I clear my throat gently, then clearly say, Thai tone perfect, sorry, I don't speak Thai tongue.png

Then a BIG smile to him, he laughs, the whole group then has the permission to laugh laugh.png

Then I was the VIP of the group. Thai men then got up to give their seat while I waited to do the reaction and depth perception test.

I'm nothing special, it just comes down to people skills and reading body language. That is universal and not language dependent.

I genuinely don't speak Thai nor understand it, but have learnt a few phrases which are helpfull.

Can count up 100 etc.

Pm me if you want a little help with learning the Thai language as there are a few free videos which are easy and very helpfull.

Good Lord above!! I wet myself laughing and the Thai missus cried tears when i read it out loud.

VIP of the group? Really???

You don't speak Thai nor understand it but you will advise on videos how to learn?

You answer him in tone perfect Thai?

Dude, keep the comedy coming

Can count up 100 etc.

I'm guessing that your VIP status with the locals was somewhat diminished when you needed 3 of them to

give you a push so you could jump start your carbiggrin.png