yamaha r1 problems.

taninthai

WOW.

This is a shocker isn't it.

Complete rebuild of every R1 / R1M gearbox on the road / track worldwide.

That is a huge undertaking, but as you say, at least they are owning up to it.

Its going to costly (the MCN report reckons each UK bike will cost about 1000 quid each in labor alone !!!!!!!! facepalm.gif

A quote from Yamaha USA's letter:

“In affected motorcycles, both second gear wheel and pinion gears in the transmission may break as a result of extremely high stress and/or improper shifting. This is due to inadequate component strength and stress concentration at the gear teeth bottom land. In addition, the third and fourth wheel gears may be deformed or break as a result of excessive stress caused by hard usage. This is due to inadequate component strength. If gears fail, the transmission could lock up, causing loss of control that could result in a crash with injury or death."

I am very surprised to hear this coming from Yamaha and I can also see the potential for a whole bunch of lawsuits hitting them.

In a letter to UK owners Yamaha say:

"contact your authorised Yamaha dealer at your earliest convenience, quoting your machine’s Chassis Number and current mileage, to arrange a mutually convenient appointment for them to replace the transmission assembly"

Shouldn't there be a greater sense of urgency to the process given Yamaha know it has potentially lethal design faults?

If I owned the latest R1 there is no way I would ride the thing until this was fixed.

Yes the transmission locking up is the last thing you want when riding one of those.

In the US, Yamaha could be sued for millions of $ if above happens and somebody get killed/injured.

Pulling the clutch in would end the lock up.

I guess its easy to say from the comfort of my sofa.

Yes the transmission locking up is the last thing you want when riding one of those.

In the US, Yamaha could be sued for millions of $ if above happens and somebody get killed/injured.

Pulling the clutch in would end the lock up.

I guess its easy to say from the comfort of my sofa.

Pulling the clutch in would not work in the event of transmission seizure as the transmission is downstream from the clutch.

Think if I was an owner, I would be pushing for a refund. Not sure I would be happy with a completely stripped and rebuilt engine.

Especially if it's done by the workshop dogsbody.

It's got to affect the future second hand value as well.

You would have a pretty good chance in the UK under 'fit for purpose' legislation.

I don't think any Yamaha main agent has a "dogsbody" working on engines. Every Main dealer workshop in Europe, regardless of manufacturer, have trained technicians, each having to go on various courses, up dates, etc, for particular models. Splitting cases and building gearboxes is not for the un-initiated, nor the faint hearted, but for trained, talented, methodical technicians (mechanics/grease monkeys).

... Like wot i woz...

Why are you all congratulating Yamaha here for owning up, this is potentially a lethal fault...I wonder what your comments would be if it were a Chinese bike?

With all their experience in engineering, this issue has to have emanated from Yamaha's accounts department and I think we can expect more now that the bean-counters have taken over in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...