Foreigners detained as Tourist Police lead South Pattaya crime suppression raid

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will get in the news and can do nothing to help the Tourist industry ,

Maybe at Airport Immigration they can hand you an "official" copy printout of your passport / visa that you can carry around with you.

It is the end of the year and officials all over Thailand are trying to get the last few "tea money" gifts,

Don't agree.

Why would genuine tourists be concerned? They have the correct visa or visa waiver entitlement. They don't overstay. Most are not sex tourists. Many do visit places like Walking Street out of curiosity. And want that visit to be safe.

The police show their presence in these areas and do, albeit occasionally, and possibly for the wrong reasons, inspect establishment to check compliance with some laws.

Now, if the police were really doing their job, and stopping the lady boy gangs and other thieves, then things would be better.

As for "tea money" I'm sure the need for it increases at certain times a year but these foreigners weren't being asked for tea money, AFAIK. Their visas were being checked to make sure they were here legally. Those on overstay or without visas are criminals. Just as they would be in most any other country.

Overstay your visa in the UK and you are required to report to a police force, not immigration.

Why would genuine tourists be concerned?

Because a typical tourist, reading a holiday brochure and saying, "Oi, Doris, Thailand looks nice. Shall we go for Christmas and New Year?" does not waste endless hours researching the finer points of local immigration law, and whether they need to carry their passports with them at all time, or whether a photo-copy will do.

Most tourists visiting a country like Thailand that claims to welcome them, once through immigration control, will check into their hotels with a sense of innocent anticipation, lock their valuables in the room safe, including passport if they have any sense, and go out for a night on the town They certainly won't expect to be stopped and interrogated by armed goons, questioning their right to be there and demanding money because they are not carrying passports. Even less do they expect to be stopped, searched and required to give a urine sample on some dark street corner.

Tourists are tourists; not legal experts on issues that have even TV posters baffled. I doubt that the tour companies that they book with warn them about such issues. They might kill the goose that lays the golden egg; just like Thailand does.

Correct me if I am wrong. So far I was under the impression, that the "Tourist-Police" is here to assist foreigners in "problem-situations". (Translation service, mediation in conflict situations, etc etc).

And now they are shaking down small-time Farang criminals, instead of getting rid of those Lady Boy Predators on Beach Road (for example). Oh boy !

Cheers.

So you don't think it's possible they could have been there to assist the police for translation purposes and to help in case of problems?

They are there to assist the police in their duties in regard to helping them with foreigners.

If you want someone to assist you I could suggest a lawyer although if it is a minor problem the person may be able to sort it out.

Edited by harrry

Correct me if I am wrong. So far I was under the impression, that the "Tourist-Police" is here to assist foreigners in "problem-situations". (Translation service, mediation in conflict situations, etc etc).

And now they are shaking down small-time Farang criminals, instead of getting rid of those Lady Boy Predators on Beach Road (for example). Oh boy !

Cheers.

When the Thai Army (as they are now in charge) orders the BIB,or any other government to check bars and tourist they reluctantly obey.the BIB are busting the very people that pay the BIB their bribe money.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Spending millions of bucks on it.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

WE wish that you would leave already.The law about 5 or more people in a gathering is for the locals dummy.Here 11 years are you? If you are on a retired non immigrant visa or work permit then you are not using a visa as it was original intended.A visa means "TO VISIT". not to find a way to keep some bums to stay here.

Was anyone actually fined for not having their passport with them? Seems to be a lot of speculation that there were reading this thread, but can't find any mention of that fact in the OP or provided link.

Sure, their evening was ruined, but were they able to return to their hotels, within a reasonable time, and provide the documentation required? As has always been the case in my experience.

Or were copies or other forms of identification acceptable? Again, the OP doesn't make that clear but the speculation reads as another story......................wink.png

Not a nice thing to have happen to anyone I grant you, but none of us are living in a nice world anymore.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

How many times does it have to be said that they don't want us here. Just our money.

It will have to be repeated many many more times. Most Farags switch to a "state of denial". as far as this is concerned.

Cheers.

You are wrong. They are foreign criminals. You have a problem with that? This is not a discussion about lady boys. Please reread the subject.

Cheers.

So they raided half of walking street, controlled 2000 Farangs and found out, that all of them were foreign criminals?

Are you sure you understand the essence of this thread? Cheers.

Was anyone actually fined for not having their passport with them? Seems to be a lot of speculation that there were reading this thread, but can't find any mention of that fact in the OP or provided link.

Sure, their evening was ruined, but were they able to return to their hotels, within a reasonable time, and provide the documentation required? As has always been the case in my experience.

Or were copies or other forms of identification acceptable? Again, the OP doesn't make that clear but the speculation reads as another story......................wink.png

Not a nice thing to have happen to anyone I grant you, but none of us are living in a nice world anymore.

No none of us are living in a nice world anymore.

My last holiday- airport scans to go into the hotel - some scary guys in black suits at every lift- walking around the roof. In a way I did not mind.

There seems to be a growing number of people obsessed with their rights- this had been driven by political correctness ( you can't offend ME, you can't touch ME, you can't ask for MY ID, I can stay in your country as long as I like, I can break the laws, I can abuse your population for sexual gratification- it's cheap ) .

Wake up- the golden age of travel has gone ( thanks to the religion of peace ) .

Pattaya has several layers- the well off retirees who live in a rather fabulous world of beautiful houses, world travel, endless parties and social functions.

Next level- still well off - have families, live a good life - stick to the law.

Finally the total low life , whose only existence is to find repeated stimulation of the nerve endings of their glans- and don't we love a tattoo .

If you visit Walking Street and look like low life- you will be stopped- PS wear Prada - there will be no problem .

I make a colored copy of the picture page of my PP and stick it in my phone wallet. I was asked for a ID and this is what I gave them.

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

Edited by riclag

Cheers.

They are there to assist and that means translating as well. However I would never take my proper passport out to a GoGo bar. I do use a miniature version

that I carry all the time and that has copy of visa.

As for small time Farang criminals, they should be deported, same as the foreign criminals in the UK. Not all ladyboys are a problem, they only get aggressive

when someone takes the pee or are very rude.

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

Strange actions by the police. Not so very long ago, either earlier this year or late last year, the senior police office stated to TV that visitors were not expected, nor required to carry their passports around with them, and long stayers could get by with a drivers' licence. I have a copy of it somewhere, I'll try to dig it out.

I keep a copy on in my wallet with all the up-to-date visa stamps. And I have a Thai DL. I'm not carrying my passport. That's just an invitation to lose it. It stays at home. If the documents I carry aren't good enough, screw them.

I think most of you are missing the point.

You have to have a valid visa or extension to stay here.

SIMPLE.

All countries require this.

I can not understand how people let their visa run out.

I have been here seven and a half years.

And gave always made sure my extension is valid.

No pity from me for anyone who is deported.

Don't think we are missing any 'point'..When I am in Bangkok and Hua Hin from overseas(which is on a regular basis)I do not expect to get shaken down every time I go out for a drink when I am perfectly legal and done nothing wrong!This is clearly a PR exercise (yawn yawn)that benefits only the men in their trumped up over exaggerated decorated uniforms to justify their own existence!Never ever carried my passport with me at night and never will as they can always give me a free ride back to my hotel if they are that concerned about my legal status!

Was this this so-called 'immigration raid' centred on foreign bar manager's and owner's?

Would be very surprised if it was just a random visa check on any tourist in the busiest tourist street in SE Asia at peak time...in fact take that back,i wouldn't be surprised at all.

One last note...I bet the 'leave if you don't like it' posters were creaming their pants when this story surfaced.

Maybe Im just in bad mood, I witnessed a robbery, a necless snatch last night at 1am on Beach Rd. One of the moto boys called police, no one came, after about 20 minutes the 4 tourists, friends of victim started walking towards soi 9. Depressing.

I think it is about time you left Thailand.

If you stay you will become more depressed.

Maybe read it again, and maybe you will understand that I was commenting on a crime that I witnessed, and lack of any kind of responce from law enforcement. It was depressing. My guess is you knew what was said, but you chose to willfully twist and misinterpretd what was said.

To people advising others to leave, and come back:

Do not take it upon yoursef to offer advise on how others live. We are all different. Some people take it on the chin, and their responce is 'Thank you Sir, may I have another', others have difficult time accepting that we have very few rights here, certianly way less than locals. This is the price for being here, we all know it.

Thing is, it is a very sick game. Gradually we lose our self, we become obidient cattle, even talking about issues gets you called out, and you are told to GTFO if you don't like it here. But it is never so easy, there are things here we like, and things we don't like, and how they balance.

I once staid here 2 years straight. After about a year, I noticed I walk with my head down, I stopped making eye contact with fellow foreigner, I accept that under no cirumstances can I get in altercation with locals, doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong. This eats you way. You become a sad shadow of what you really are. Only going back to Europe after 2 years, was I able to walk with my head up, not being kicked around by anybody, not humiliated, not afraid to confront a person if I'm wronged in some way.

I'm certain this happens to all of us here, the longer we stay, the less we become. But never assume you are in any kind of position to tell me what to do! You may have given up, that's your decision.

I have a theory about 'If you don't like it here, Get out' crowd. They themselves can't! They have nowhere to return, nobody to go back to, they HAVE to take it here, get used to it, like it or not. And posts that remind them that we don't have to accept loss of our rights and respect irritates them, and is soar subject. Even talking about wantig to be equal to locals is forbidden, and considerd out of line lol.

OMGIminPattaya, whether you like it or not, visiting Thailand for 5-6 months out of the year is tourism. You may not agree, but that's just you. If not, pls tell me the cut of point, 2 months? 3 months? You realize there is multi entry TV, valid for 6 months, yes? it says 'Tourist Visa' on it. Or you simply feel 'I'm in, please shut the door now!'

Oh, and I don't carry my passport, I carry photocopy :)

Remember one thing We are guests in this country It doesn't matter whether we agree or otherwise we must comply with their rule. Quite simple - If you don't want to comply them go home!! Your home countries have their own rules which foreigners have to comply with so what's the differences? Double standards me thinks!!!!!!!

There's no need to sweat this. Just carry a credit card sized laminated copy of your passport ID page, and your visa extension details on the reverse side.

I have a theory about 'If you don't like it here, Get out' crowd. They themselves can't! They have nowhere to return, nobody to go back to, they HAVE to take it here, get used to it, like it or not. And posts that remind them that we don't have to accept loss of our rights and respect irritates them, and is soar subject. Even talking about wantig to be equal to locals is forbidden, and considerd out of line lol.

I think most people who have settled for here for a long period of time fit into this category - i.e. not easy to just get up and leave when things you don't like are happening all around you. Changing one's attitude is always the easiest option.

Is this bad?... or just human nature?

I saw some of this group being primed up by their C.O. On the beach side Pattaya Beach Rd during the day,Over 100 Police used to do a BS Anti Tourist exercise,and P@ss people off,instead of doing something creative ...like watching out for,and getting real law offenders! Another feather in the cap of the BIB,what another load of nonsense.....T.I.T.

I think most of you are missing the point.

You have to have a valid visa or extension to stay here.

SIMPLE.

All countries require this.

I can not understand how people let their visa run out.

I have been here seven and a half years.

And gave always made sure my extension is valid.

No pity from me for anyone who is deported.

While I agree about abiding by the law and also have no pity for overstayers being deported, my issue is with searching random people without just cause. While this tactic may occasionally produce an overstayer or two, it always invades the privacy and violates the rights of the vast majority of those who do abide by the law and have done nothing wrong...treating them like criminals until proven they are not.

Thailand is not Nazi Germany...show us your papers...but it is beginning to act as such. I have been stopped and searched in a taxi twice at a roadblock in BKK and once getting off a bus at Ekamai. Presumably they were looking for drugs and I was promptly released after their invasive search tuned up empty, HOWEVER...I was assumed guilty and treated like a petty criminal until they realized I wasn't transporting illegal substances and/or my passport and visa were in order. I was polite and cooperated fully, but I was not happy about it.

Guess I was just fortunate they didn't plant illegal substances in my bags and shake me down for a bribe...

I've never read the Thai constitution but I doubt it has the equivalent of America's Forth Amendment. If such privacy rights are important to you, maybe holiday or reside in a country that respects such rights.

Wow...thanks for the brilliant insight and suggestion. I would never have thought of such a ridiculous solution! Amazing that someone who totally missed the point has resolved the issue so keenly.biggrin.png

well spoken, i could not have worded it better if i tried, that is clearly the reply of the year

You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

Try getting a tourist visa for Australia if you're Thai, Filipino, or from another SE Asian country. How much money you have on bank accounts is the least of your worries... and even if you get a tourist visa, it's costs you plenty.

You're lucky you're from a privileged country, but now you expect the red-carpet treatment wherever you go.

This is pure police harassment. You cannot advertise that you welcome tourists and then harass them when they come here. The United States and Europe have millions of illegal entrants but the police do not waste their time stopping everyone and asking for their papers. Thailand never used to be like this. Welcome to the police state.

I think most people who have settled for here for a long period of time fit into this category - i.e. not easy to just get up and leave when things you don't like are happening all around you. Changing one's attitude is always the easiest option.

Is this bad?... or just human nature?

alternatively there could be more than just a few who are suffering the frog in boiling water syndromeermm.gif