Breaking News

Nam Kao

Sunday April 11, 4:16 PM

Ex-MP, village chief killed in southern Thailand amid terror alert

Photo: AFP

Click to enlarge

BANGKOK, (AFP) - A former MP and a village chief were gunned down in Thailand's Muslim-dominated south at the weekend, becoming the latest victims in a wave of violence that has left at least 60 people dead this year, police say.

The shootings came while Thailand was on high terror alert over the traditional new year holiday Songkran, which began Saturday, amid concerns that militants from the south could mount a major attack.

Unknown gunmen shot dead Sithichai Buraheng, a member of parliament for the southern province of Narathiwat in the 1980s, at a tea stall opposite his house Saturday, a policeman from Narathiwat's Cho Airong district said.

Two hours later in neighbouring Pattani province, 54-year-old Hamaj Yakoh, the chief of Pakaharang village, was killed by gunmen on a motorcycle as he returned home from praying at a mosque.

"He was shot in front of his house. The cause was terrorism," a Pattani policeman told AFP.

At least 60 people, mainly security personnel and government officials, have been killed in violence that has plagued Thailand's deep south since early January.

On Friday two bombs exploded in Narathiwat, causing little damage and no casualties but rattling a region already on edge.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his lieutenants have blamed the unrest on Islamic separatist groups, some of which are thought by analysts to have links to regional or international terror networks.

Fears of a major attack over the week-long Songkran festivities have prompted advisories from the United States, Britain and Australia for travelers to avoid the region.

Security agencies have been put on high alert across the country, especially in southern provinces believed to be targetted by militants.

"We have increased measures by boosting staff, officers and equipment, and we must not be careless," Defense Minister Chetta Thanajaro said Sunday about security in the south.

"All officers should exert their full capacities. We need to sacrifice, to give our best efforts, to help people enjoy this festival without worry."

Thai military intelligence reportedly released a report warning that the commercial heart of Hat Yai, the capital city of southern Songkhla province, could be targetted, and that young men were known to have purchased large amounts of chemicals that could be used in Songkran attacks there.

"Police are monitoring reports that teenagers have bought acid and may use it instead of water" during Songkran commemorations in which revelers douse each other with water, Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula said.

Supithsin Kitjarangkun, the supervisor of Hat Yai police station, said that Songkran precautions in the city have far surpassed last year's.

"We have increased police at tourist spots, shopping malls, hotels, and there are bomb disposal squads on alert in Hat Yai," Supithsin told AFP.

Security was particularly tight at railway stations, which normally are packed with travelers during the holiday as migrant workers return home, police said.

It is like another country down there, so unlike any part of Thailand - as long as it stays down on the border. Taxin has too get this in order.

"He was shot in front of his house. The cause was terrorism," a Pattani policeman told AFP. The phrase of this century!. I think the cause was murder!

Guest chingy
You better break out your AK, Gent, they're swarming across the border and Phuket in right in their path!

also put up a sign that said beware of landmine.

You better break out your AK, Gent, they're swarming across the border and Phuket in right in their path! :o

:D ready to go mate! AK?, showing your age mate :D

Well, whatever you have in your arsenal. The AK used to be a lot easier to get a hold of in LOS but I expect it's pretty much a seller's market these days.

AK still works tho Gent  :D

with of Killing range of 1,350m, yes it works well, but the L86 has a cyclic Rate of fire 610-775 rounds per minute and still a 1 thousand meter effective range - thats a weapon - sorry was getting a bit excited then. :o

Sounds like you're prepared for those "ragheads" - eh? :D

it's all down to information.

if all you are getting is a screwed up clerics opinion then you tend to bend that way.

What's needed is mass re-education just like we did to the Germans after WWII, round them up, show them the internet (Block bomb making pages of course) give them a chance to make a little cash and kill all the leaders.

Simple init

Bash

It might be just "fluke" timing, but today/yesterday, 5 Malaysian soldiers were found across the border in Thailand. The Malaysian armys excuse, was that they had "lost their way". They were returned to Malaysia today :o

I see the BBC has just got hold of the story - last Thursday they were detained.

Mostly a matter of the muslims themselves have got to start doing something to stop this bull. I'm tired of the crop of fools. They want us to do something to help the muslim down south but then the same religion kills innocent people but then they don't want us to down people because they're muslim. If it's such a good frickin religion then why don't THEY do something about their own frickin people.

The muslims in the south KNOW who these people are and do NOTHING! It's a great big pile of CRAaP. I believe in some kind of GOD (don't care what name) in the person. I know it's not the majority but there are people who know who's doing this but still do NOTHING. (Repeated myself, I'm just :o ) I'm glad I'm not FRICKIN muslim. :D

This might get me a ban but I don't care, frick em if if they cannot face the truth!

This might get me a ban but I don't care, frick em if if they cannot face the truth!

well :D - lets guess your country of origin :D

Innocent people being killed - turn on your TV mate - no religious slander needed.

oh the naive black and white boys! :D

Religion is the cause of all the evil in this world, that be christians, jews, muslims or whatever, so far the only non violent faith I have seen is the Bhudist's

Amen :D , or is that Idi Amen :o

You're the guy with the African experience...tell us? :D

OK, what BIAS are you talking about, bias because I'm a yank or the bias that I'm tired of people killing other people in the name of some imagineable GOD. I don't care what country I'm from or anyone else is from, it's these muslim radical that are doing this and there has to MUSLIM people that KNOW who they are. Some people believe in GOD (what ever name), OK just not cup of tea, don't want to bring this on that tangent but people are people and WHOEVER no matter the religion are killing people for assinine reasons. It's just got to STOP. The people in IRAG are, were threatenning to BURN Japanese people ALIVE for what, FRICKIN religion. The muslim radicals are killing innocent people all over the world to accomplish what, a sepparate state or just stirring the frickin muslim pot. What the police did with the muslim lawyer was and is wrong and I hope they don't get away with it. I also don't think there is much chance the guy is still alive or the wittnesses will either live to tell or they will say that they can't remember, but when is this BULLLSHITT going to stop? There HAS to be a time when this "great muslim religion" takes a stance to STOP this. Granted the US doesn't have the best policies (not by a long shot) but frick man, these muslim radicals are everywhere and doing (KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE) this everywhere.