Star Wars IMAX 3D warning....

Trujillo

I went to see the movie this past Monday (Dec. 21). I watch quite a few movies and IMAX too. Apparently some (really bad expletive) projectionist decided that the movie would be even better if the volume was turned up to a (another really bad expletive) insane level.

It was so loud I had to do something I have never done in a theater in my life -- stuff tissue in my ears. Seriously, no joke; it was like a Kiss concert in 1977.

If you are going to see this in IMAX you might want to check with the manager of the theater complex at Central Festival. I am sure there is a set point for volume since all the other films I have every seen in IMAX have relatively the same volume. Nothing ever compared to this.

While the movie itself was good fun, the ridiculous volume really did spoil the full experience.

Was that IMAX at Paragon?

When I went to see Interstellar I was shocked at how projection screen was dirty.

I live on Ramkhamheang, but the only reason I went to see star wars at Paragon was because I wanted to take pics with props which they wouldn't have where I live. I avoided IMAX because of previous experience and just went for the regular 2D. However, the entire time movie looked a little blurred.

I will now avoid paragon at all costs and just continue to cinemas around my area where the price of a regular ticket is 100 baht cheaper anyway and cinemas are maintained much better.

The movie sucked, btw

Was that IMAX at Paragon?

When I went to see Interstellar I was shocked at how projection screen was dirty.

I live on Ramkhamheang, but the only reason I went to see star wars at Paragon was because I wanted to take pics with props which they wouldn't have where I live. I avoided IMAX because of previous experience and just went for the regular 2D. However, the entire time movie looked a little blurred.

I will now avoid paragon at all costs and just continue to cinemas around my area where the price of a regular ticket is 100 baht cheaper anyway and cinemas are maintained much better.

The movie sucked, btw

Probably not.

A couple of clues:

He wrote: ... the theater complex at Central Festival

And, this is the Chiang Mai forum.

My money is on Central Festival Chiang Mai

I mean the CM Central Festival mall (hint: I posted in the Chiang Mai forum).

I was referring to the year the first Star Wars was released.

If you think my age has something to do with the volume, you are mistaken. As I said, I watch a lot of movies, and many IMAX. Never in my life have I been in a theater that had the volume up so high, and I have seen dozens of IMAX movies at that very theater. It wasn't just subtly louder, it was over the threshold of what the average person would find uncomfortable.

I am used to watching movies where the volume is reasonably high; this was far beyond that.

I post this in the hopes that you will have a better experience than I did.

If the trailers and ads start and they are mind-blowingly loud, get up and say something to management.

Well it was a great movie. I say it in 2 D at Central Festival and really enjoyed it. I find for myself that 3D looses some thing.

I have seen several films in the I Max and the theater is to small. The last one I went with a friend who wanted to experience I Max. It was heart of the sea. I did not need my hearing aids for that one what so ever. Unless it is a special occasion involving a friend or relatives wants I will not be seeing I Max at Central Festival again.

....I did not need my hearing aids for that one what so ever....

Thankfully, my hearing aids allow me to turn them down....which I did substantially. I thought the movie was fine, nothing great but entertaining. I did notice that the 2 hours or so seemed to somewhat fly by so it must have kept my attention.

Of course, the questions the movie leaves unanswered pave the way for Start Wars VIII, IX, etc.....

I just had an interesting experience related to seeing the movie "Interstellar" at home. It did suck, by the way; so much potential, decent acting, but as usual some generally stupid story line points threw it all off. It would be better to skip the last 15 minutes of the movie and just imagine that it had an ending that made sense.

The issue was this: they had background music playing at the same volume as the dialogue, so the only way to hear both was to listen to both really loud, and then strain to separate them. My hearing is fine; it was a problem with the editing not respecting that someone would need to make out the speech at the same time as catch all that drama of some really loud music playing. I'm sure when played just under the threshold of pain level in a theater it was clear as could be but at normal volume the actors' mumbling was well under that of violins and such, so it didn't work.

I just had an interesting experience related to seeing the movie "Interstellar" at home. It did suck, by the way; so much potential, decent acting, but as usual some generally stupid story line points threw it all off. It would be better to skip the last 15 minutes of the movie and just imagine that it had an ending that made sense.

The issue was this: they had background music playing at the same volume as the dialogue, so the only way to hear both was to listen to both really loud, and then strain to separate them. My hearing is fine; it was a problem with the editing not respecting that someone would need to make out the speech at the same time as catch all that drama of some really loud music playing. I'm sure when played just under the threshold of pain level in a theater it was clear as could be but at normal volume the actors' mumbling was well under that of violins and such, so it didn't work.

If you watched it at home, could be many reasons for this..

Source encode.. the decode of the center channel being muxxed into a stereo output, etc etc.

Speaking of Star Wars do you think it will be still busy over at Robinsons? Or should I wait another week or so? Don't want to see it in a packed cinema.

Go to the 11.30am screening at Central Airport. 20 - 30 people both times I went.

Edited by JaseTheBass

I went to see it at IMAX Central Festival.. Yeah it was loud, but not so much so that it seemed ridiculous.

Will probably go see it again in regular 2D.. Went to IMAX mostly for the big screen, but I'm not a big fan of those fiddly glasses that take some of the brightness/crispness away.

Maybe they kicked it down to the normal level; I could not have been the only one who noticed the volume before.

As for the brightness issue, it's a red herring. You are looking without the glasses and it seems really bright and with the glasses on, it seems diminished. The fact is the brightness without the glasses is brighter than a normal cinema view is and with the glasses, it brings it back to where "normal" should be. It's an optical illusion regarding brightness.

Personally, I think all movies should have a 3D version.

I saw it at SFX Cinema Maya. During closeups of 2 person conversations, the focus would sometimes drift a bit in and out of sharp focus. Didn't know if this was a director's choice or bad projection.

The last movie I saw at the cinema in CM was "captain corelli's mandolin". They put the reels on in the wrong order. Never been back since....

Gee.... was that last century?

2001. To be honest, I prefer to watch alone with family. Other people munching on snacks, taking phone calls, or even just breathing annoy me in the cinema.

May I ask your age?

Knowing your age gives an indication if you're from a younger generation with hearing damage due to loud concerts and iphones turned up too loud.

He will want to know how come you avoided permanent damage?

.Gee.... was that last century?

2001. To be honest, I prefer to watch alone with family. Other people munching on snacks, taking phone calls, or even just breathing annoy me in the cinema.

People breathing annoys me anywhere.

In the Original Trilogy they knew how to deal with that.

Vader_Force_chokes_Motti.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai