Finish for Exterior Wood Sala

Manassas

Built a pond-side sala out of old barn wood we had available. The stuff was old and weathered but beautiful when sanded down. Treated it with Chaindrite for bugs etc. Now I'd like to put a finish on. Something like the old style lacquer, but anything that will put on a gloss and help preserve the wood. However, I'd like to avoid having to reapply the finish annually - if possible. I've read about stain, marine varnish and poly and they all have pros and cons. I'm also concerned that the Chaindrite will prevent a finish from adhering to the surface. Is there a consensus out there from experience on what is the best finish for exterior wood?

There is no need to be concerned about chaindrite as it soaks right into the wood.

But i have found its best to use clear chaindrite then it doesnt limit your stain colour afterwards.

As for the top coat of your sala well you are going to need to look at the various companys stain colour displays often in most stores.

Incidently most of these stains now also incorporate insecticide so thats double insurance.

I would suggest you stay clear of varnish/polyeur etc as they will shrink crack and peel within 4 months in the sun here.

Someone should be able to further advise on exterior stains they have been happy with.

If it will be out in direct sun then marine varnish would be best. I have had several boats and the direct sun is a nasty destroyer of varnished wood surface. Rare to have even the best, very expensive material last more than a year on those high-finish cap rails, dorade boxes and similar. I emphasize the very expensive nature of this finish material. Probably would bet a top quality polyurethane, making sure it is outdoor with UV resistance.

If it will be out in direct sun then marine varnish would be best. I have had several boats and the direct sun is a nasty destroyer of varnished wood surface. Rare to have even the best, very expensive material last more than a year on those high-finish cap rails, dorade boxes and similar. I emphasize the very expensive nature of this finish material. Probably would bet a top quality polyurethane, making sure it is outdoor with UV resistance.

I've read about using marine varnish. The theory makes sense since boats are exposed to extreme weather, But wasn't sure if it's available in my area. I'll have to check the bigger shops. So far all I've seen is TAO poly.

i have done ours the past 4yrs.with toa polyurethene walnut gloss.protects and puts a lovely sheen on it.

ours to is old wood.

Do you have to reapply it every year? Although that's not that big of a job.

we buy a gallon tin and find we only use half,so it does last. this yr.we had a new roof put on and home pro had a promotion 800bht.normally 1200bht.

but it does leave a good finish.

i have done ours the past 4yrs.with toa polyurethene walnut gloss.protects and puts a lovely sheen on it.

ours to is old wood.

Do you have to reapply it every year? Although that's not that big of a job.

we buy a gallon tin and find we only use half,so it does last. this yr.we had a new roof put on and home pro had a promotion 800bht.normally 1200bht.

but it does leave a good finish.

There is now a great product called StopLossBags that you put the half can of finish into, it is a flexible bag with an airtight cap so there's nothing to allow the finish to harden.

They work for any finish, oil or water, poly, lacquer, or varnish.

A disclaimer, I have no connection with the maker I'm just a satisfied customer. They cost between $4.5 and $2.6 each depending on quantity plus shipping.