Saw the new cbr500r 2016

wow64

Really?

2 of them look like sports bikes and ride like sports bikes. Get them in the twisties, keep them near the red line and the engine will sing to you as you tear the living crap out of it while still begging for more.

The other one looks like a (very nice) sports bike, but red lines at 8500rpms. Front end of a panigale,(ish) middle and exhaust of a ninja and back end of a yamaha.

Yes it has 3-4HP more, but is that really worth it? Coz a sports bike it aint.

What is the quoted HP figure for the Ninja? 39HP from what I have read. The CBR 500 figure is 47 or 49HP depending on the article, a bit more than 3 or 4 as you claim. Maybe the Ninja is better for the twisties but the 500 would surely eat it for breakfast as a tourer , unless you like being buzzed by 13000 redline all day.

I believe the 'official' numbers are CBR 47, R3 43, Ninja 41. Of course none of them get this on the dyno. The top speeds are very similar. However I feel you're just splitting hairs.

The point is the CBR is advertised as a 'sports' bike and is made to look like a sports bike but the sad thing is, it isn't really a sports bike.

Just read what Mark says above as he has both.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Honda is a very good and reliable bike but like you said yourself it's more of a tourer. The CB and CBX are excellent value and do what it says on the tin sadly the CBR doesn't. Frankly, unless it has RR after it, the current CBRs don't live up to what they used to.

So if someone wants an actual sports bike and has limited funds, then a Ninja or R3 would be the way to go. So, no, paying 35K more for a CBR over the other two is, IMO, no way worth it.

those does not sound correct.

actually you just sound like a ninja 300 owner (which you are) having full of regrets when you see the new cbr500r just for 30 k more than porky ninja 300.

so how can we believe what you are saying? r3 and ninja is sportier and cbr500r not? man it is very funny to hear these and they just DELETED

what do you think cbr500r is not a sport bike? because you just say 'cbr500r is not a sport bike' and nothing else. anything countable we can call facts not bs?

look, just facts not like 'i own a ninja 300 and it is sportier than cbr500r'

DELETED

And you sound like a Honda 500 owner(which you were).

People here don't have to believe me or you, and perhaps they shouldn't. However, they should listen to Mark131v as he has two of the bikes mentioned and doesn't agree with you, but does agree with me. Funny how you didn't quote or attack any of his posts.

Anyway, I feel you miss the point entirely. i have never said that the CBR has less power etc than a Ninja or R3 it just does not perform like a sports bike should. A Verseys 650 has more power than any of the bikes mentioned but again it doesn't perform like a sports bike. I could go on.

Edited by macknife

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CBR is what it is, a bland linear low revving 471cc vanilla commuter.

Calling it sporty is a disrespect to sport bikes.

They should have done the F and X models as they are, then made the engine of the CBR model actually sporty and outside of the 47HP limit for the British license laws.

then it might get some respect.

They should have done the F and X models as they are, then made the engine of the CBR model actually sporty and outside of the 47HP limit for the British license laws.

really?

for your competence level maybe it is a vanilla scooter:) but for some it is sporty. for the ones that knows what they are doing of course.

120413-jake-lewis-2013-european-junior-c

cni+dawg-albums-cni+dawg-picture3537-img

Edited by maykilceksin

What is the quoted HP figure for the Ninja? 39HP from what I have read. The CBR 500 figure is 47 or 49HP depending on the article, a bit more than 3 or 4 as you claim. Maybe the Ninja is better for the twisties but the 500 would surely eat it for breakfast as a tourer , unless you like being buzzed by 13000 redline all day.

I believe the 'official' numbers are CBR 47, R3 43, Ninja 41. Of course none of them get this on the dyno. The top speeds are very similar. However I feel you're just splitting hairs.

The point is the CBR is advertised as a 'sports' bike and is made to look like a sports bike but the sad thing is, it isn't really a sports bike.

Just read what Mark says above as he has both.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Honda is a very good and reliable bike but like you said yourself it's more of a tourer. The CB and CBX are excellent value and do what it says on the tin sadly the CBR doesn't. Frankly, unless it has RR after it, the current CBRs don't live up to what they used to.

So if someone wants an actual sports bike and has limited funds, then a Ninja or R3 would be the way to go. So, no, paying 35K more for a CBR over the other two is, IMO, no way worth it.

those does not sound correct.

actually you just sound like a ninja 300 owner (which you are) having full of regrets when you see the new cbr500r just for 30 k more than porky ninja 300.

so how can we believe what you are saying? r3 and ninja is sportier and cbr500r not? man it is very funny to hear these and they just DELETED

what do you think cbr500r is not a sport bike? because you just say 'cbr500r is not a sport bike' and nothing else. anything countable we can call facts not bs?

look, just facts not like 'i own a ninja 300 and it is sportier than cbr500r'

DELETED

And you sound like a Honda 500 owner(which you were).

People here don't have to believe me or you, and perhaps they shouldn't. However, they should listen to Mark131v as he has two of the bikes mentioned and doesn't agree with you, but does agree with me. Funny how you didn't quote or attack any of his posts.

Anyway, I feel you miss the point entirely. i have never said that the CBR has less power etc than a Ninja or R3 it just does not perform like a sports bike should. A Verseys 650 has more power than any of the bikes mentioned but again it doesn't perform like a sports bike. I could go on.

one has the right to buy any bike. be it ninja, r3, cbr whatever.

you like ninja and you feel it is sportier, that is fine. no problems on that. ninja 300, r3 these are also great sport bikes. i always have a lot of fun when i ride my friends' ninja 300.

what i am saying here is some people' probably fan boys' that have no or less idea about bikes or biking, slamming bikes out of nothing with their limited knowledge and riding skills.

and some here putting negative comments even without riding the bike they comment.

these provide misleading comments.

Zxr400.

4 cylinder, 16 valve.

14000 rpm redline.

60+ hp.

Divine chassis, with usd.

25 years old, outruns the cbr500r.

Just as an example for calibration of your devices.

apples to apples.

DELETED

that is an inline four machine with 3000 km service intervals and high fuel consumption therefore high emissions.

DELETED. a maker cannot make such a bike anymore for normal legal use because emission rules are a lot stricter than 25 years before.

on top of that, riding license rules also changed. one needs to buy a 47 hp bike in Europe to meet a certain license bracket. behavior of consumers also changed.

you want a high revving superbike with a lot of sportiness, go for cbr1000rr or zx10r s1000rr etc. that is what people do.

but then you go buy a yamaha exciter 150 scooter and then come here and speak about sportiness which does make any sense to me.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Zxr400.

4 cylinder, 16 valve.

14000 rpm redline.

60+ hp.

apples to apples.

that is an inline four machine with 3000 km service intervals and high fuel consumption therefore high emissions.

a maker cannot make such a bike anymore for normal legal use because emission rules are a lot stricter than 25 years before.

Nonsense.

You will have to add catalysator exhaust and injectors instead of carburetors.

Engine control unit.

Today's sports bikes outside Thailand crank out same hp/liter and more to this day.

Read up on modern day sports bikes.

During this period of 25 years the 1000cc sports bikes went from 150 hp to 200hp per liter.

Emission control added.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Posts edited for Troll / Flaming. If you wish to discuss in a calm rational manner, please do so. Calling others names and insulating that their knowledge is limited of non-existent is against Forum rules

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Zxr400.

4 cylinder, 16 valve.

14000 rpm redline.

60+ hp.

apples to apples.

i think you have no idea and i think you dont also believe what you are saying:)

i am sure you have no idea about emissions. a maker cannot make such a bike anymore for normal legal use because emission rules are a lot stricter than 25 years before.

that does ring a bell?

Nonsense.

Engine control unit.

Today's sports bikes outside Thailand crank out same hp/liter and more to this day.

During this period of 25 years the 1000cc sports bikes went from 150 hp to 200hp per liter.

Emission control added.

haha. so about emissions, it is all about cat and injectors, huh? what can i say to you:)

and sorry, which sport bike below 500 cc cranks more power than cbr500r now in 2016?

just link an example. any inline four 250 cc or 400 cc available in the world markets now? maybe honda cb400 sold in Japan but that also makes similar power like cbr500r.

things change. you speak about 25 years before. i also loved that screaming high revving cbr250rr 4 cylinder but no more. world turns, things change, new rules/regulations arrive etc etc.

Zxr400.

4 cylinder, 16 valve.

14000 rpm redline.

60+ hp.

apples to apples.

i think you have no idea and i think you dont also believe what you are saying:)

i am sure you have no idea about emissions. a maker cannot make such a bike anymore for normal legal use because emission rules are a lot stricter than 25 years before.

that does ring a bell?

Nonsense.

Engine control unit.

Emission control added.

haha. so about emissions, it is all about cat and injectors, huh? what can i say to you:)

and sorry, which sport bike below 500 cc cranks more power than cbr500r now in 2016?

just link an example. any inline four 250 cc or 400 cc available in the world markets now? maybe honda cb400 sold in Japan but that also makes similar power like cbr500r.

things change. you speak about 25 years before. i also loved that screaming high revving cbr250rr 4 cylinder but no more. world turns, things change, new rules/regulations arrive etc etc.

Have you checked Rev limit on latest 1000 cc lately?

Nothing revs less than before, on the contrary.

Except a cbr500r

absolutely spot on.

The engine suits the F model, dressing the engine up and marketing it as sporty is a disrespect to any biker.

Sporty for the newbs and clueless. cheesy.gif

Honda (perhaps everything under the CBR600 should have a different badge and name, but unfortunately they still get called a Honda) should have used this engine in the F and X bikes for the newbs and commuters and aged mini-tourers, and forgotten about the UK license limit for the CBR471R and tuned the engine to be a fun, performance based screamer.

But alas, Honda is a joke nowadays. sad.png

Edited by condo bought

absolutely spot on.

The engine suits the F model, dressing the engine up and marketing it as sporty is a disrespect to any biker.

Honda (perhaps everything under the CBR600 should have a different badge and name, but unfortunately they still get called a Honda) should have used this engine in the F and X bikes for the newbs and commuters and aged mini-tourers, and forgotten about the UK license limit for the CBR471R and tuned the engine to be a fun, performance based screamer.

yep, non sporty for bar stool riders and scooter guys or the ones never ever ridden onelaugh.png

It has been my experience that during a discussion, when one of the parties involved starts to accuse the other parties of being less than avid, or inexperienced, or somehow does not know what they are talking about, then that person has already lost. Many different points of view, many levels of experience. Without knowing what the other person has done, it seems the height of folly to accuse with no discretion. Myself, when shopping for my second last bike, I rented many. The 500 series lost for me as having low power.

The cb500 series are good beginner bikes, the X which I like most of the 3 different models is a mildly looking adventure style bike like my own V650 m3 with upright riding position and a screen.

I agree regarding the power, not enough for an experienced rider with 47hp, my V with 69hp is minimum for having some fun for me.

The lower HP bikes can be fun if you live where you got some mountains around you with lots of twisted roads, there a small 300-500cc sports styling bike can be very fun to ride and giving the 1000cc boys a run for their money.

I live in Pattaya and not many twisted roads around, so it's only the power that gives me "the kick".

absolutely spot on.

yep, non sporty for bar stool riders and scooter guys or the ones never ever ridden onelaugh.png

I owned one for about a year, bought as a simple little commuter, as that's what it is, sold it as it was even too boring for that. laugh.png

Been riding bikes of all sizes and preferences full-time for a tad under 25 years.

Sporty?

Only to squids and idiots. My description pretty much sums it up perfectly. "a bland linear low revving 471cc vanilla commuter. "

Nothing wrong with that, if that is what is promoted as.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

absolutely spot on.

I owned one for about a year, bought as a simple little commuter, as that's what it is, sold it as it was even too boring for that. laugh.png

Been riding bikes of all sizes and preferences full-time for a tad under 25 years.

Sporty?

Only to squids and idiots. My description pretty much sums it up perfectly. "a bland linear low revving 471cc vanilla commuter. "

Nothing wrong with that, if that is what is promoted as.

DELETED

Photos does not say so though. you sure you ride for 25 years? your description means nothing and you lose credit on what you say. and this make me assume you are a squid?

because squids praise hp or high revving machines although they never ever use that potential. just for bragging rights.

post-81192-0-65727300-1452063147_thumb.j

030913Bo.jpg

Edited by seedy
large foto

It has been my experience that during a discussion, when one of the parties involved starts to accuse the other parties of being less than avid, or inexperienced, or somehow does not know what they are talking about, then that person has already lost. Many different points of view, many levels of experience. Without knowing what the other person has done, it seems the height of folly to accuse with no discretion. Myself, when shopping for my second last bike, I rented many. The 500 series lost for me as having low power.

people slamming bikes or misleading people without even riding them or just because they own other brands or being a fan boy of other brands or scooter riders talking about sportiness or sport riding. these kind of people do not lost?

and losing or winning? this is a forum:) winning or losing. oh man, is this a bike forum or an arena for you?

just be fair.

Edited by maykilceksin

A Honda is a perfect appliance. But in many cases, it's a boring motorcycle.

Just look at all the Honda 500s that are for sale. Many have very low miles.

Some of us are looking for the bike that can inspire us to go out and ride everyday.

Edited by Issanman

The sub-600 range used to be good, fun and sporty.

those days ended quite a few years ago.

Economical, newb friendly, linear low revvers.

That's okay, no need to dress them up and promote as sports bikes, because they aren't, expect possibly to the inexperienced, delusional or trolls. biggrin.png

Edited by condo bought

Some of us are looking for the bike that can inspire us to go out and ride everyday.

And what about all those ducati's with low miles on them?

Has nothing to do with the bike, just people that don't know their own budget and can't cope with the financing.

for me a rider is inspired by the act of riding not by owning specific motorbikes.

if a rider needs a motorbike that will push him/her to ride maybe that rider is at the wrong place or at the end of riding days and maybe time to buy a cage.

just be fair.

I fail to see how my post was unfair. It was brought to mind by this quote of Socrates -

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

you fail to see things you dont want to see or understand. that is all.

like this no? a slander comment as a tool of a loser? check it out:

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

if you feel like you are in an arena not a forum then this post made you a loser and slander became your tool.

people dont write in forums to lose or win or become a loser or winner. just for sharing the ideas on specific topics as correct as possible.

not like 'cbr500r is sh..ite, not good and not sporty because i own a yamaha r3' and if you do so someone comes and corrects you and start to question your competence level and experience on bikes of course.

this is what forums are for. just FYI.

Edited by maykilceksin

papa rides every day

[cept when flying or sumfin]

125cc,

150, 200, 650cc,

​machs nicht.

is it better to wring-the-shit out of a 150 on a twisty mountain road,

or over-heat on a monster bike in BKK traffic?

guessing the latter is more common.
Edited by papa al

All I'm saying is that some bikes are more fun to ride than others.

The new NSR150RR I bought in 1995 was way more fun than the new Honda Dream that I owned at the same time.

When I wanted to have fun, I rode the fun NSR bike. When I was just going for some beer or ice, I rode the appliance Dream and it got the job done perfectly.

The fun bike made me want to ride more often than the appliance did.

post-41898-0-32182300-1452136193_thumb.j

Using the above criteria, I guess these are sport bikes too. After all, they are on the track

attachicon.gifclass 3 derek, pierre, ethan.0.jpg

DELETED

when you race it, we call it sport. scooter races, cbr500r cup, moto gp, same. some is faster some is slower but all of them are called sport and that make the bikes compete sport bikes automatically.

so you dont need a high revving 250 hp machine for sporting intentions.

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
  1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as baseball and soccer"
Edited by seedy
troll / flaming