Koh Tao: Suspects found guilty of murdering British backpackers

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.....part two of this trial will no doubt be the untimely demise of the B2 in their Jail cells. Suicide. Most likely a note left behind confessing their guilt and hopelessness at going on. Might as well end it now. Then it's come full circle. The press will believe it.....the families (not the B2's) will believe it.....the BBC will believe it....those with vested interest's will believe it.....Koa Tao will believe it.....hey! Drinks with tiny Hoe's in them instead of umbrellas all around!!!!! ....Silent Night indeed....

Did the DNA of the semen not match with those Burmese? It was even tested twice and also in Singapore. Then the Brits had their own police here to see if all research was done well.

Am i missing something?

Koh Tao and Samui are "mafia" islands

How hard is it for a policeman to tell the burmese " drop your pants or i beat you" then collects a sperm sample and puts it in evidence.

The only evidence we can trust in these situation is the lack of evidence, as the one from the murder weapon.

I can attest to one thing since I spent allot of time in the south. Puket and Samui

Burmese are not very likable and have a totally different outlook on life. Than anything I have seen. I'm pretty sure they did tho crime. Just knowing what I know about zBurmese. And their temperament

I can attest to one thing since I spend a lot of time in Thailand.

Thais have a very different outlook on life compared to many westerners. As to their temperament......., well, plenty of videos out there .............

Ah because you have met a few Burmese and don't like them you are pretty sure that two young men you have never met are guilty. I live here in Thailand and have met many Burmese in Restaurants,on building sites and many that have worked on our land when needed. I find them extremely nice people.

Thai's have a very different outlook on life !!!! What on earth is that to do with justice

I can attest to one thing since I spent allot of time in the south. Puket and Samui

Burmese are not very likable and have a totally different outlook on life. Than anything I have seen. I'm pretty sure they did tho crime. Just knowing what I know about zBurmese. And their temperament

I can attest to one thing since I spend a lot of time in Thailand.

Thais have a very different outlook on life compared to many westerners. As to their temperament......., well, plenty of videos out there .............

Ah because you have met a few Burmese and don't like them you are pretty sure that two young men you have never met are guilty. I live here in Thailand and have met many Burmese in Restaurants,on building sites and many that have worked on our land when needed. I find them extremely nice people.

Thai's have a very different outlook on life !!!! What on earth is that to do with justice

Burmese have great qualities fro m the ones I've dealt with.

They are honest, reliable and very caring people if you treat them right.

It's hard to gain their trust in Thailand because they are so used to Thais/police screwing them over and over again.

I remember a time when they weren't allowed mobile phones and bank accounts here and had to be off the streets at night.

Edited by hansgruber

Well if the defence team appeal is based on the assertion that the prosecution didn't prove their case beyond reasonable doubt, they're on a loser, because this verdict shows that the prosecution has proven their case (and now helped by the Miller family statement, which would be a factor going forward).

No appeal court judge is going to think otherwise unless the defence team come up with 'new' evidence and/or a new rationale to support their appeal. The best the B2 can hope for, IMO, is to have their death penalty commuted to life - and at some future time they will be pardoned by the King.

I also feel that Thai authorities will ride out the media backlash, because they couldn't give a toss about 2 migrant workers. Retain the status quo.

Surprised, no, bemused, saddened and disgusted, yes.

Here was an opportunity to strike at the heart of the corruption destroying this nation, but now it is obvious the cancer is terminal.

What was the Freudian slip last week, about bringing organised crime/criminals back under control? Wonder what admonishments were handed out to the real perps - no death sentences for them it would appear. Party on guys.

Thankfully, it seems there will be an appeal. Disgraceful performance in a country which hoped to be taken seriously.

If anyone takes this country seriously they chose the wrong place to retire/live.

Edited by bkk75

So you have spent a lot of time in the tourist ghettos of Phuket and Samui. My take on that is you probably know little about the majority of Thais as they are not represented in the tourist ghettos and methinks you are then perhaps even less qualified to talk about Burmese people in such a general sense.

So you have spent a lot of time in the tourist ghettos of Phuket and Samui. My take on that is you probably know little about the majority of Thais as they are not represented in the tourist ghettos and methinks you are then perhaps even less qualified to talk about Burmese people in such a general sense.

The very fact that he'd support a death sentence on 2 men because he "knows what he knows about the Burmese, and their temperament", tells you all you need to know about this one.

To me it is not clear they are responsible; I've see enough to know they are probably not.

Today's verdict seems not to be "beyond a reasonable doubt".

With the statements that you wrote; "Tourist ghettos of Phuket and Samui" "the majority of Thais as they are not represented in the tourist ghettos" and using the made up word "methinks" I would have to question what your qualifications are also.

None of us should be blaming any nationality but, blaming the court and country's system for such a travesty of justice.

Correct verdict? Obviously they know nothing of Thailand and what really goes on...try not to have disrespect for the family..but you might as well go back to sleep. You most likely condoned innocent people to a death sentence...can you live with both your siblings death and the death of the Myanmar fellows?

What an outrageous post!!

So, you profess to know everything about what goes on in Thailand, do you? well David's family actually listened to a large amount of the evidence for and against the two and were privy to information you were not and made their own minds up based on this.

How can you condemn them for deciding that their verdict on the proceedings is incorrect, simply because it differs from "I am an expert on all things Thai" you!!

The defence knew that the DNA evidence was sound and Jonathon Head stated that the defence DIDN'T challenge this even though the court challenged them to. Now why would this be? I will leave that for you to work out.

You should retract your post as it is distasteful and a slur on the Miller family's integrity.

And so the bubble pops...

The people saying that no evidence was presented are in complete denial, the main evidence against them, DNA found inside the rape victim was presented by the prosecution and not contested in any meaningful way by the defense.

Would like to see the judges' rationale on how they arrived at the verdict.

The judge is supposed to put in writing the rationale behind the decision, I hope someone takes the time and effort to translate it into English, in toto and without creative interpretations or convenient omissions as it has been the norm for the press work on issues related to this case.

Hold on a second!

Are you saying these 2 men were not being tried for murder?

That they received the death sentence for rape?

No, it appears the evidence of sex supports the case of murder--at least in the eyes of the court.

If DNA from B2 were found inside Ms. Witheridge, it would seem they had sex; which, of course does not prove rape. However, DNA evidence could have been eliminated from the hoe handle and the DNA found may be that of the authorities who handled the hoe afterward, rather than the DNA of the actual murderer.

It is possible B2 had casual consensual sex with Ms. Witheridge and she was later murdered with Mr. Miller by parties whose DNA resides on the hoe.

Of course, all of this only proves one thing; we do not have enough evidence to make a decision.

Hearing the waling of the B2's families while David's brother read their statement was harrowing viewing. People are attacking David's family but lest we forget what an agonizing year they have just had. Anger and pain have clouded their judgement and I also suspect that the British Embassy may have asked them to go along with the court proceedings for matters of 'diplomacy'.

So we are to believe then that these two tiny men one night saw David and Hannah having sex (was that ever proven?) and got into some sort of jealous rage, overpowered the 190 cm tall David and beat him to a pulp while also raping and pulverizing Hannah. Then just going home to sleep. The bodies were discovered and subsequently trampled all over by influential local family members, locals, tourists, dogs and whatever else. The first rounds of DNA swabbing apparently missed them, people accusing locals were chased, harassed, given death threats.

Then when they arrest these two they are questioned in a 'safe house'. Beaten and tortured into confession. Then the trial where the RTP withheld, lost, bumbled loads of evidence. Certain top Thai DNA experts not allowed to work on the case. Translators for some media outlets (certainly sky news) threatened and told to stop working with the media.

These are all off the top of my head from following this case the last year. I am sure if I delved back into it I would find a heap of glaring inconsistencies in this case that in most courts in the world would been thrown out immediately.

I wonder what has been presented to the families. It must be pretty damn compelling because this all stinks to high heaven. I hope that the B2 fight in the appeals and some justice is done. But you just know that their fates have been bought and paid for by the real culprits. 2 more young innocent lives ended, what a crying shame.

Edited by mrrizzla

The Miller's statement is unbelievable. Something very strange going on there. It can't just be grief.

I wouldnt put it past them to wait until they are back in the UK before they start talking...

If they kick up a fuss here, they might be sent for 'attitude adjustment'