Media Reform Committee Considers a Crackdown on Online Media Using Article 44

snoop1130

Media Reform Committee Considers a Crackdown on Online Media Using Article 44
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14509558511450955891l.jpg
The media reform committee meets with police at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Dec. 24. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK -- A junta appointed media reform committee is considering a new measure to control online media that incites "social unrest."

Pol.Maj.Gen Pisit Pao-in, the former commander of the Technology Crime Suppression Division who now oversees the government's 'reform' of online media, said on Dec. 24 that he would ask to use the power of Article 44 to crack down on online media, including content deemed to be affecting national security and/or defaming the monarchy.

Article 44 of the interim constitution grants junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha a power to enact any laws or take action to protect "nationalinterests" and "national security."

After the talk between the media reform committee and police today, Pisit said representatives from Google are scheduled to meet the committee for a discussion on Jan. 14 and again on Jan. 21. According to the officer, these meetings will be followed by further meetings with representatives from Facebook and the messaging app, LINE, at as yet unspecified dates.

With an estimated 32 million LINE users and more than 34 million Facebook accounts registered in the kingdom, Pisit said online media was the most "troublesome," as it was not “filtered” unlike print, radio and television. Such communication increased the chance of people to distribute false or fake information, he said.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1450955851

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-24

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand is moving towards darker times

These measures will incite the population...especially modern youth.

Perhaps even soldiers themselves to rebel

Hopefully a bloodless coup within a coup,

And court Marshall of all NCOPC

Great news

Thailand needs a trigger.

Attempting to shift to "" no opinion "" or "" freedom of expression"" does a few favours .

It forces automatic sanctions by western countries placing domestic downward pressures.

Immediately will jolt people travelling there as most use social media.

The spin off are unimagined by junta.

They will hit the streets on mass before it goes down.

In my opinion

post-219560-0-84222200-1450972356_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

Media reform commitee??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Look at these old creeps! I love how this articel 44 translates critizising the Junta into defaming the monarchy. No one has defamed the monorchy. This is going to blow up in Preyuts face bigtime. Just try and take LIne and Facebook away from the young Thais. They will freak out!

The only option that a illegitimate government has to maintain control against even the smallest of threats is force.

It is the danger of time... In 2006, the stepped in, did their dirty work in writing a new constitution with plenty of control levers and then stepped back into the shadows...

This time they are bolder, staying longer, and show no sign of leaving.

But their enemy is time ... it always works against Thai junta's because the very nature of the junta's force used on the people is to create more resistance, which in turn ...

These guys are toast.

With an estimated 32 million LINE users and more than 34 million Facebook accounts registered in the kingdom, Pisit said online media was the most "troublesome," as it was not “filtered” unlike print, radio and television. Such communication increased the chance of people to distribute false or fake information, he said.

What a load of toss.

Thank God/Buddha/Allah I'm not a Thai and can leave any time I want.

coffee1.gif

I know i sound like an idiot, but i do not feel safe here anymore..

We cannot speak freely.

Our internet use is 99% sure being monitored.

Always risking to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

The lack of personal freedom in regards to simple things like political views, and the freedom to express those views without worry about being locked up, is crazy.

I have heard people say the last few years, that its not as bad.. Everything is ok. It will be fine soon..

But every week the rope tightens, Every month someone is getting hung by the neck..

A lot can be said about a country that has these kinds of people stifling freedom of speech, mostly because they have placed themselves or others in a position that commands either ridicule or protests , stifling free speech or protests is the coward's way to control the country , real statesmanship requires vigorous debate and honesty , nothing in Thailand points in that direction at present so it must be a controlling totalitarian dictator junta styled in government , who is constantly afraid of the people and or their motives . Happy Xmas.................................................bah.gif

I can briefly see the other side of it when, a year down the road after "reform" business owners and management trying to understand the 75% increase in producti ity.......

Òn a more serious note though, depriving the majority of the population from childish distractions through fear of prosecution will only open the doors for other means of greater discent for the current governing body.

IMHO of course.......

I know i sound like an idiot, but i do not feel safe here anymore..

We cannot speak freely.

Our internet use is 99% sure being monitored.

Always risking to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

The lack of personal freedom in regards to simple things like political views, and the freedom to express those views without worry about being locked up, is crazy.

I have heard people say the last few years, that its not as bad.. Everything is ok. It will be fine soon..

But every week the rope tightens, Every month someone is getting hung by the neck..

I have to strongly disagree with you.

Far from sounding like an idiot ....

Your observations , feelings and thoughts , reflect an insightful intelligent , balanced assessment .

Your not the only one questioning the noose tightening.?

Like a boiling frog the heat continues to rise.

Increments ever so slight , but becoming more obvious things are cooking.

Pressures mounting.

It's surreal to even consider this is actually happening.( To our second home, or first)

It gives us empathy for other nations that experience it also...

And sure though we are only ( for now) watching Thais get done over viciously for things such as "liking "a Facebook Page .

We notice the move towards being anti junta is becoming tied to LM more.

That so dangerous in itself .

A sign the place is getting very very dark.

Opinions are called Misinformation.

It's reasonable as the writer points out to feel uneasy.

We well could be next.

We are according to them ..spreading misinformation.

I have stopped talking about them on FB.

Image being detained and hard drive taken .

Everything ever written read.?

Photos viewpoints.?

How would you go?

Couldn't happen?

Lets hope not.

But something says it might.

We are heading that way.

Well look how much things have changed in 20 months or less.

Now even envoy's get grilled.....

A high ranking representative is being shown disrespect.

How would we go?

What would happen to one of us for denouncing jail terms on LM.?

Would we be told we have defamed the institution.?

Detained for trial.

Beaten

If lucky just fined and deported.?

What if sanctions do get imposed.?

Will Ultra Nationalists attack us ?

Could we be witnessing the "" closing off a nation to the western democracies ?"

In a speech in October the leader said this might be needed.

( to control the situation)

Sometimes fears are very valid and smart to not ignore.

That's all the guy above has done.

Weigh stuff up in light of day.

It's getting close to the point that saying even what I have here , is possibly risking injury and/or future adjustments by as military that's ruling now with iron fist fear tactics.

The next year will be an enormous one and a tsunami of events being promised.

One way or another.

Maybe it's just prudent not to get swept away and head for higher ground out of their reach.?

If matters get much worse I will just observe instead of commenting.

It's no longer 100% safe

post-219560-0-95753500-1451011193_thumb.

Edited by Plutojames88

....control online media that incites "social unrest"....

....crack down on online media deemed to affect national security or defame the monarchy.....

Even under the most mature democracy this kind of censorship would be unconstitutional and exposed as a dangerous tool of vague interpretations empowering selective enforcement the likes of which a dictator would embrace.

In a totalitarian regime with an article 44 wild card....such censorship, not to mention stiff prison sentences, are the norm.