Arab League demands Turkey withdraw troops from Iraq

Jonathan Fairfield

Arab League demands Turkey withdraw troops from Iraq

606x341_319713.jpg

Foreign ministers of the Arab League held an emergency meeting in Cairo on Thursday at the request of the Iraqi government. On the agenda: finding a solution to Turkey’s ongoing military presence in Northern Iraq.

Hundreds of Turkish troops entered Iraq earlier this month and are stationed near Mosul. Turkey says they are there to protect Turkish military personnel training Iraqi militia in the area.

But Baghdad wants them out and the Arab League agrees.

“We support Iraq’s request and this reflects our great Arab solidarity with them,” Nabil Elaraby, Secretary General of the Arab League, told the forum. “We stand as Arab countries along with Iraq and we call on Turkey to immediately withdraw its military forces from Iraq and respect the international border between the two countries.”

Iraq says it will give Turkey a few days to withdraw but warned that it is willing to escalate its actions.

For the time being, however, military conflict is unlikely, explains euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim, who was at Thursday’s meeting.

“Iraq is preoccupied with a war against the so-called Islamic State on several different fronts; there are also significant sectarian divisions within the country that affect the government and the Iraqi people. For this reason, Iraq is hoping to use diplomatic means to resolve the current crisis.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-25

Boy oh boy, what a tangled web has been woven.

I tend to agree with you. If Turkey is fighting ISIS and the Iraqi's are fighting ISIS, then I wonder why they want Turkey out?

Even after living in Iraq for years and working in Turkey for quite some time, the more I know, the more I realize how little I know.

The Turks are in Iraq for one reason only: to attack the Kurds. Any actions against ISIS will be strictly secondary. In this case, the Arab League is right, the Turks will just destabilize the situation further.

The Arabs have no love for the Kurds, so I think there must be a little more to it than that.

whistling.gif It all depends where you think the border is.

There are those who would say that area is part of Kurdistan.

The Turks, and the Iraqis also do not recognize a Kurdistan.

When I was in Diyabakar, which is clearly recognized as being Turkish territory, the Turks would only refer to those who called themselves as Kurdish only as Mountain Turks or Turks living in the mountains.

The Iraqis insisted that same area was part of Iraq.

There is also a Kurdish Iran, and a Kurdish Syria.

Neither recognized by anyone as Kurdistan.

I tend to agree with you. If Turkey is fighting ISIS and the Iraqi's are fighting ISIS, then I wonder why they want Turkey out?

Even after living in Iraq for years and working in Turkey for quite some time, the more I know, the more I realize how little I know.

----------------------------

In one word.....OIL.

Turkish army is fighting the Syrian kurds.

The Turkish governments had always good relationships with Iraqi Kurds. Till today.

Both, Syrian and Iraqi Kurds were already fighting eachother since early Cold War. So, I don't need to make a drawing about the foreign influences, which can be seen by today's actions.

Turkish army are just buffering both Kurdish entities in those combat zones. ISIL territory has never been invaded by the Turkish army.

The third front in this war against ISIL is concentrated in North of Iraq and Syria. Turkey and Western allies are trying to move the Kurdish population out of Kurdistan into a region into the north where no Kurds have ever lived.

So, if Turkish, Western plan works, you should have a future Kurdistan without Kurds...

The Turkish governments had always good relationships with Iraqi Kurds. Till today.

Both, Syrian and Iraqi Kurds were already fighting eachother since early Cold War. So, I don't need to make a drawing about the foreign influences, which can be seen by today's actions.

Turkish army are just buffering both Kurdish entities in those combat zones. ISIL territory has never been invaded by the Turkish army.

The third front in this war against ISIL is concentrated in North of Iraq and Syria. Turkey and Western allies are trying to move the Kurdish population out of Kurdistan into a region into the north where no Kurds have ever lived.

So, if Turkish, Western plan works, you should have a future Kurdistan without Kurds...

It's too confusing! blink.png

wai2.gif

There is a significant Turkoman population in Northern Iraq. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Turkish troops-estimated 1000 soldiers with some 25 tanks- are concentrated around Mosul area since 4th of December. Just after Russian army bombed ISIL oil trucks.

You won't find any Turkmen civilians over there.

The government of Ankara 'explained' that they were in Iraq for training Peshmergas.

Syrian Kurds are eager to attack the kurdish Iraqi oil facilities who sponsored ISIL war machine. Even so the Russians and Syrian armies.

Turkish troops are used as human shields in that area, just to escalate.

The Syrian opposition meeting in Ryadh was not represented by any Turkmen and/or Kurdish opposition members.

The Iraqi governement requested earlier demobilisation of Turkish troops in Iraq.

Yes, but that was in Syria and done by the Russians.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how this all connects to the Arab League and Iraq.

It's not that I, and probably some others can't connect the dots, it just seems like there are really, really a lot of dots to try and connect and they seem to lead to different conclusions!

Tangled web is an apt description.

It's too confusing! blink.png

wai2.gif

September 2015 : General Allen from US coalition has been given a forced departure from his function as chief commander of the coalition.

November 23 : Russia started bombing ISIL controlled oil facilities an trucks

December 4 : Turkey sends limited troops around iraqi Mosul.

December 6 : US coalition bombs Syrian Assad military base.

...and so many more...

Many dots have not been reported and/or released in Western media.

Edited by Thorgal

Turkey is vehemently anti Kurd which explains their incursion into Northern Iraq

Turkey is also a covert supporter of ISIL

Turkey is not part of EU

Turkey is supporting Turkmen minority in Northern Syria

For my money, best solution is to re-carve up both Iraq and Syria and, in particular, give the Kurds their own lands.....

September 2015 : General Allen from US coalition has been given a forced departure from his function as chief commander of the coalition.

...and so many more...

All reported by Western media. The last one is dodgy as it's a "he says, she says" thing. But hard to believe what Syria reports, same with Russia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-allen-idUSKCN0RM2CX20150922

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-airstrikes-blast-isis-oil-facilities-in-syria/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/04/turkish-troops-iraq-train-forces-fighting-isis

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/world/middleeast/syria-airstrikes.html

...and so many more...

All reported by Western media. The last one is dodgy as it's a "he says, she says" thing. But hard to believe what Syria reports, same with Russia.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-usa-allen-idUSKCN0RM2CX20150922

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian-airstrikes-blast-isis-oil-facilities-in-syria/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/04/turkish-troops-iraq-train-forces-fighting-isis

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/world/middleeast/syria-airstrikes.html

Read my post again : my 4 dots were not flagged as 'not covered by western media'.

The dots who aren't published by western media are for instance an important meeting during the 60s, Mullah Mustafa Barzani (the father of current leader Massoud Barzani) approached Washington and the Shah of Iran.

He became an officer of the Mossad. Seen here in Israel with Abba Eban (Foreign Minister) and General Meir Amit (Director of the Mossad).

With these elements you should better understand the OP and current situation.

post-171721-1451025628112_thumb.jpg

You could make out from OP that Turkish military involvement around Iraqi Kurdish oilfields is not welcome.

You could compare South Sudan exactly the same as what is going to happen in future Kurdistan.

Edited by Thorgal

As much as I know, the Turks are fighting the Kurds, who fight IS. Conflict here ? Just asking Scott.

I am not wishing to get into the discussion, I am looking for clarification. Yes, the Kurds are fighting ISIS, but the Kurds are primarily fighting to maintain control of their traditional homeland, IMO. Most, but far from all, Kurds are Sunni. Turkey, in theory, is also fighting ISIS. A fair number of Turks may be experiencing an economic benefit from ISIS, as they did from the Kurds during the period of the embargo on Iraq.

Turkey has long used Northern Iraq as a sort of military playground and had military incursions in pursuit of the PKK. A few of those incursions were very far into Northern Iraq and I very much doubt that the PKK traveled that far from the Turkish border.

Perhaps someone will come by with a good analysis of the complexities.

As much as I know, the Turks are fighting the Kurds, who fight IS. Conflict here ? Just asking Scott.
Again, Turkish army attacked SYRIAN Kurds.

Turkish army is helping the IRAQI Kurds.

Edited by Thorgal

Again, Turkish army attacked SYRIAN Kurds.

Turkish army is helping the IRAQI Kurds.

I don't understand this.

Turkey has been fighting the PKK for years and is still carrying out incursions into Iraq with heavy bombing of PKK positions. Now the PKK call themselves Turkish Kurds but their area straddles Turkey & Iraq. These don;t seem like Syrian Kurds to me.

Are you saying that Turkey is attacking the Syrian Kurds in addition to the PKK?

Erdogan does not oppose DAESH, he never has. Erdogan opposes al Baghdadi and the absence of the Muslim Brotherhood in not realizing the caliphate after 100 years of prep. Erdogan wants the Kaliph for himself! Every single thing he has done has aimed toward restoring to 1921. (*IMO the Arab League's protest is horsefeathers. As much as they want Turkey out they most definitely want Turkey right where they are).

Turkey is vehemently anti Kurd which explains their incursion into Northern Iraq

Turkey is also a covert supporter of ISIL

Turkey is not part of EU

Turkey is supporting Turkmen minority in Northern Syria

For my money, best solution is to re-carve up both Iraq and Syria and, in particular, give the Kurds their own lands.....

Turkey is anti the Kurdish PKK only, they do a massive amount of trade with Kurdistan and are on good relations these days, all the KRG oil and soon gas goes though Turkey

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/turkey-and-the-krg-an-undeclared-economic-commonwealth

Erdogan does not oppose DAESH, he never has. Erdogan opposes al Baghdadi and the absence of the Muslim Brotherhood in not realizing the caliphate after 100 years of prep. Erdogan wants the Kaliph for himself! Every single thing he has done has aimed toward restoring to 1921. (*IMO the Arab League's protest is horsefeathers. As much as they want Turkey out they most definitely want Turkey right where they are).

The danger being that Erdogan the megalomaniac may draw NATO into furthering his plans, either by accident or design. I predict Erdogan has already come unstuck by going too far, as all megalomaniacs tend to do. When the smoke clears I predict there will be a Kurdish state bordering Turkey, and it's about time too.