Queen Elizabeth II's Christmas message: Light can triumph

Jonathan Fairfield

Queen Elizabeth II's Christmas message: Light can triumph

LONDON (AP) — Queen Elizabeth II will use her Christmas broadcast to emphasize that light can triumph over darkness after a difficult year.

The queen will note there have been "moments of darkness" in the last year, which has been marked by extremist attacks and a migrant crisis that has overwhelmed Europe, but cites the Bible as offering solace.

"The Gospel of John contains a verse of great hope, often read at Christmas carol services: 'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it,'" the queen plans to say, according to excerpts released by Buckingham Palace.

The prerecorded speech will be broadcast on radio and television in Britain at 3 p.m. (1500 GMT, 10 a.m. EST) and in many parts of the British Commonwealth on Christmas Day. It will also be posted on the royal YouTube channel.

The 89-year-old queen writes the brief speech herself, often reflecting on her own personal beliefs and stressing the importance of family. She plans to note the 70th anniversary this year of the end of World War II by thanking those who served in the conflict.

The queen, her husband Prince Philip and senior members of the royal family plan to attend church services Christmas morning and spend most of the day at her sprawling Sandringham estate in Norfolk, 110 miles (175 miles) north of London. There is usually a gala Christmas lunch after church, followed by a walk outside.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-25

1 word ABDICATE move on for the good of the people.

Do you apply the same logic for Royals the world over,in essence Ma'am hasn't ruled over her subjects as long as some Royals.

What is your reasoning for this talk of abdication ?

Edited by stoneyboy

You move on, I like the royals and the monarchy, they're good for the people and the people want them to remain.

"Whatever republicans might wish, less than a fifth of the Queen's subjects in the UK say they want to get rid of the Royal Family - a proportion that has barely changed across decades".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18237280

Trying hard to be controversial are we? Why not try something more up your street - is Star Wars true, or did Willy Wonka really exists. I am sure your rich fantacising mind can dream up many, many more illusions to entertain yourself, but please keep them to yourself and stop attacking people who cannot defend themselves.bah.gif

Do you apply the same logic for Royals the world over,in essence Ma'am hasn't ruled over her subjects as long as some Royals.

What is your reasoning for this talk of abdication ?

You may consider yourself a lesser person than her but I dont consider myself like that. She does nothing that wouldnt be done if we didnt have her. Get rid of her and all te hangers on we dont need them

if she abdicated, who would/should take over, the son or the grandson

2ylmCmA.png

There is no dispute her son would take over unless he himself decided to step aside. I gather he does not want to be known as Charles III given what happened to Charles I but might adopt the name George, it is in there, he has four all told. I personally like the Queen's broadcasts they give you time to nip out and make a coffee.

There is no dispute her son would take over unless he himself decided to step aside. I gather he does not want to be known as Charles III given what happened to Charles I but might adopt the name George, it is in there, he has four all told. I personally like the Queen's broadcasts they give you time to nip out and make a coffee.

Why do we need any of them? There combined IQ is their shoe size. Get rid of the lot of them

Why do we need any of them? There combined IQ is their shoe size. Get rid of the lot of them

Any reason why you would want to get rid of an amazing woman who has served her country far more than you or I have.

You should be proud of her.

So what's the story behind the photo? (Probably does not suffer fools, gladly...)

At least if you are in the UK you can say what you want about the Royals within reason...

For those of you who are physically in Thailand, bear in mind that Thai LM law applies not only to insulting the Thai Royal Family, but also the Royal Family of the UK and other countries coffee1.gif

Personally I like her. Britain wouldn't be Britain without her. Happy Xmas Ma'am

God save the Queen!

Why would God (if one exists) save her? What has she done to be considered superior to everyone else? Get real for goodness sake

No you get real pal,

your entitled to your own minority opinion, mine is if you are a UK subject then you commit Treason and should be hung by your Gonads until they wither and drop off. If you not a Brit or hail from one of the dominions then keep your pie hole shut.

God save the Queen!

Why would God (if one exists) save her? What has she done to be considered superior to everyone else? Get real for goodness sake

No you get real pal,

your entitled to your own minority opinion, mine is if you are a UK subject then you commit Treason and should be hung by your Gonads until they wither and drop off. If you not a Brit or hail from one of the dominions then keep your pie hole shut.

Just so we know who is allowed to post on this topic, perhaps you could tell us which citizens of which countries are from the British dominions? And are there other rules that they/we must follow? Perhaps their/our beneficent imperial masters would provide some guidance to we mere subjects.

I guess when a person is so dependent on an anachronism for identity, then over-the-top arrogant abuse is considered normal. The rest of us will act like grown-ups and take responsibility for our own governance. Thank you for your advice. It will be treated as it deserves.

God save the Queen!

No you get real pal,

Just so we know who is allowed to post on this topic, perhaps you could tell us which citizens of which countries are from the British dominions? And are there other rules that they/we must follow? Perhaps their/our beneficent imperial masters would provide some guidance to we mere subjects.

I guess when a person is so dependent on an anachronism for identity, then over-the-top arrogant abuse is considered normal. The rest of us will act like grown-ups and take responsibility for our own governance. Thank you for your advice. It will be treated as it deserves.

Well first shot of OTT arrogant abuse came from gandalf against HRRM, slightly twisting the argument no? go figure... To be part of the UK and commonwealth is a privilege, if your not then you will not understand, is what sets us apart from other peoples. We are proud of our queen, now run along there's a good fellow!