Transport to enforce strictest safety standards on public buses

Jonathan Fairfield

Transport to enforce strictest safety standards on public buses

2-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Department of Land Transport announced that they will be strictly enforcing safety measures on public transport vehicles and their drivers as the New Year celebrations draws near.

This is to ensure that the number of accidents from automobiles during the New Year exodus of people can be kept to a minimum.

Director-general of the Department of Land Transport Mr Sanit Phromwong said that prior to this year’s New Year celebrations, the department will be carrying out stringent checks on all public transports vehicles as well drivers.

He asked operators of all transportation companies to cooperate with the effort by making their own physical examination on all their employees especially bus drivers.

He also asked that particular attention must be paid to the conduct of drivers making sure that they adhere to the specified speed limit.

Furthermore, their drive shifts must not be too taxing and periodic rest periods must be integrated into their schedules.

The department chief stated further that it was the responsibility of the companies to ensure that the drivers are familiar with the routes which they must take.

Any driver found over-speeding or driving recklessly will be severely punished and a stiff fine will be charged.

Drivers with bad conduct such as driving while under the influence of alcohol or other narcotic substances will also not be tolerated.

He advised that operators dismiss these drivers on-the-spot and take immediate legal action to prevent possible loss of life.

In the event that an accident is determined to have been caused by faulty equipment or negligent maintenance, the operators themselves will assume all responsibility for damages and loss and furthermore could see their license revoked.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-25

Unless the drivers are properly trained, drivers partake in breath tests prior to starting their shift, drivers do not work over 12 hours, and for the operators: all busses have speed limiters, IVMS monitored at the base, and are subject to regular maintenance and recording.

These are similar to many 1st world standards....it's not hard and not difficult.........but I guess we all know what will happen!

The unfortunate reality is that here, the authorities do not seem to know, or comprehend, what needs to be done.....they never take notice, or even seem to understand, that transport systems can run well..........

Edited by ChrisY1

"He asked operators of all transportation companies to cooperate with the effort by making their own physical examination on all their employees especially bus drivers."

"He also asked that particular attention must be paid to the conduct of drivers making sure that they adhere to the specified speed limit."

"Furthermore, their drive shifts must not be too taxing and periodic rest periods must be integrated into their schedules."

That's a tall order. Good luck.

To enforce the following would require the "police" to stop watching cartoons and soap operas and actually leave their box;

"Any driver found over-speeding or driving recklessly will be severely punished and a stiff fine will be charged."

"Drivers with bad conduct such as driving while under the influence of alcohol or other narcotic substances will also not be tolerated."

You know, if they enforced just half of the existing Traffic laws on the books, that would make some good bank.

It might even curtail the standard extortion practices...

wai2.gif

Thai Traffic Laws copy.pdf

So none of the above has ever been taken seriously then.

And after new year, back to normal I assume.

I hate to say this but, do you really think we have to wait until after New Year to be back to normal.

I pray that there are no serious bus accidents during new Year.

Hire German TUV , they do an inspection on the buses and they do not leave the workshop area until fixed , any guess how few pass ?

Put GPS trackers on each bus away from the driver so he cannot turn them off , put a speed limit on the GPS tracker ,

And then do the Tour buses......

Yeah I know it will never happen , but with Thais doing the testing nothing will get done..................

Here's my take on how this will be enforced.

Wait for accident to happen.

If, and only IF the driver doesn't flee the scene, which is about ~5% of the time (that the driver stays there), he might be drug/booze tested, but the local breathalyzer might be broken, if the guy can come up with 20,000 baht.

Wait, that's already how it's enforced.

---------

Just hope I'm wrong, but I doubt that I am.

So how do you stop a Thai driver falling asleep at the wheel ? This appears to be a big problem

They fall asleep behind the wheel from the exhaust gas entering the cab of the vehicle...Because there is no maintenance carried out on important parts of the vehicle....EXHAUST PIPES !

I recently bought a TUK TUK to get some parts for a project I am doing....Everything on the vehicle was completely worn out.

Out of the 4 Brakes on it's wheels, there was only one with pads to stop the vehicle....The other 3 were frozen in the OFF position, and havent had pads on them for years...

The front Wheel bearings both sides were held in place by Nails or Pop Rivets bent over... AND PEOPLE PAY TO RIDE IN THEM.

The Steering box had to have new bushes completely, as they were worn out and the adjustment to take out the play was so tight it had worn away the tool steel inside....JUNK. ...BUT PEOPLE PAY TO RIDE IN THEM....Amazing.

Another expat on here will back up what I just said, as he was there with me....we couldnt believe it.

No wonder Tourists are dying like flies here...ride in a Tuk Tuk....PIGS DING !!!!

"Any driver found over-speeding or driving recklessly will be severely punished and a stiff fine will be charged."

Ah there's the rub: "found". One would think that in order to "find" something you would have to "look" for it. And just how many highway patrol cars are out and about at any given time?

How many 'long haul' buses does the 'Transport Co' have in it's fleet..?

How long has it taken to do pre New Yr brake tests on each vehicle so the driver is unable to use the same old excuse as a get-out-of jail free card..??

Secondly one would think someone in charge has witnessed the way the drivers slew their buses out without any warning to overtake..

...the direct result of this action causing the bus to roll & even flip..(we've all seen them do it)..

SO, how hard would it be to get every bus driver repremanded about this action BEFORE the N.Yr onslaught..?

It's the same each year-end..the Transport Co just want to get the folk moved to Issan, then back again..no matter how that bus does it!