Moving to Thailand with Indonesian Wife

Hi

Im a UK expat (48) who has been living/working in Indonesia for 5 years with my Indonesian wife. We moved to Bali a year ago but its not working out. Over crowded island with 300% luxury tax on anything 'expat' in nature, has found us looking for other countries to live in. Im a engineer in the Oil & Gas industry and work offshore, mostly Indonesia/Vietnam and Malaysia (North Sea is dead at the moment). We are seriously thinking about moving to Chang Mai as we have had great holidays there. The smoke/smog once a year is a bit of a worry (we looked at Penang and that had the same problem + politics) but out side of that the climate and golf (we both play ) , food, value for money is second to none, in our opinion.

The biggest concern is visa's. My wife has a major in English and she is thinking about studying Thai. I will be spending about 5/6 months out of Thailand working offshore.

Any advice of the best visa for the both us would be highly appreciated.

• Like 1

There are not a lot of visa options for you or your wife. When you turn 50 you could get extensions based upon retirement and your wife one as your dependent.

If she was to enroll to study Thai she could get a non-ed and then extensions of stay. . You could then get extensions as her dependent. I suggest she look into studying Thai at a a university instead of a Language school. University studies would allow for one year extensions while a language school would only allow 90 day extensions.

I suggest you contact the honorary Thai consulate in Bali about getting multiple entry tourist visas to start with. The visa would allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Would he be able to avail himself of a METV in Bali, being a UK expat ?

I assume he has residency of some type for Indonesia since he is married to an Indonesian and has been living there for 5 years. Having that would allow him to apply for the METV.

• Like 2

There are not a lot of visa options for you or your wife. When you turn 50 you could get extensions based upon retirement and your wife one as your dependent.

If she was to enroll to study Thai she could get a non-ed and then extensions of stay. . You could then get extensions as her dependent. I suggest she look into studying Thai at a a university instead of a Language school. University studies would allow for one year extensions while a language school would only allow 90 day extensions.

I suggest you contact the honorary Thai consulate in Bali about getting multiple entry tourist visas to start with. The visa would allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months that can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Thanks Ubinjoe, this is very helpful.

I have been on 212 wife sponsored/company sponsored business visas in Indonesia, so i/we should apply for METv..thanks. We married in Thailand as well as Indonesia, not sure if that makes any difference...thanks again.

Would advise to try this first for a few of your rotations before you pack-up in Indonesia.

If you are working in Asia, Malaysia may be much easier for your wife language and culture wise, personally I would also look at Vietnam and Myanmar.

You have to realize that only very few people speak English in Thailand, Thai is very hard to learn and the political and safety situation is worrying to say the least.

Penang would be a good choice...but my guess is his reference to political issues was directed at the Malay bias against Indonesians. The great shame is that some of the nicest and down to earth people I met in Malaysia were from Indonesia.

Vietnam is hard to get long term stay unless he can get some work permit via his job in oil industry

• Like 2

Would advise to try this first for a few of your rotations before you pack-up in Indonesia.

If you are working in Asia, Malaysia may be much easier for your wife language and culture wise, personally I would also look at Vietnam and Myanmar.

You have to realize that only very few people speak English in Thailand, Thai is very hard to learn and the political and safety situation is worrying to say the least.

In your position, I would also consider Vietnam, especially the coastal areas. It is a stable country but likely to be a tad more expensive to settle there. Hardly on the same level as Bali, though.

In Chiang Mai many people speak English - it's not a big deal, nor is the political or safety situation, but it needs to be considered, and Immigration, currently, is a nightmare, here. Malaysia/Cambodia/Myanmar - no thanks.

In your position, I would also consider Vietnam, especially the coastal areas. It is a stable country but likely to be a tad more expensive to settle there. Hardly on the same level as Bali, though.

In Chiang Mai many people speak English - it's not a big deal, nor is the political or safety situation, but it needs to be considered, and Immigration, currently, is a nightmare, here. Malaysia/Cambodia/Myanmar - no thanks.

I looked at Vietnam, when i was working there this year, loved it and it is plan B...the wife liked Hanoi, where it is cooler. I have a few work colleagues/friends who live in Chang Mai all married with Thais, that does help having their perspective but my situation is unique to theres. What i see is their money is going a lot further and they are living a lifestyle better than we are here in Bali.

I'm also married to an Indonesian and living in Pattaya. She has been here for about 5 years and finds it difficult to have Thai lady friends.

They all seem to only talk about money, even those that have plenty. Your wife might also find herself in a similar situation here as in Malaysia.

Our solution is 2-3 months a year in Europe (which she likes) then she does several long trips to Jakarta and I also go there for several weeks a year.

I think your best bet is your Plan B!

Good luck

Cambodia is very good for Visas

You each apply for your business visa online, approx US40, this is good for 30 days.

Make sure you use the official government website.

Print out two copies on the one A4 page and cut in half.

You hand in one copy of your visa at check in.

By doing it this way, upon arrival you avoid the crowd and are able to go straight through immigration with no one in front of you.

4-5 business days before your visa expires hand your passport to your hotelier or any travel agent along with your business visa application which can be downloaded from the government website accompanied by US$300.

Ask for a receipt on a company letterhead when passing the money over.

When you receive your passport back you will have a Multi Entry Business Visa along with a Work Permit.

There is no reporting of any kind to the to the best of my knowledge, 90 day or otherwise.

It is an extremely simple visa system for the foreigner to Cambodia compared to that of Thailand.

You each apply for your business visa online, approx US40, this is good for 30 days.

By doing it this way, upon arrival you avoid the crowd and are able to go straight through immigration with no one in front of you.

4-5 business days before your visa expires hand your passport to your hotelier or any travel agent along with your business visa application which can be downloaded from the government website accompanied by US$300.

When you receive your passport back you will have a Multi Entry Business Visa along with a Work Permit.

There is no reporting of any kind to the to the best of my knowledge, 90 day or otherwise.

It is an extremely simple visa system for the foreigner to Cambodia compared to that of Thailand.

No actual employer or job docs required ?

No,

I believe that you are able to obtain a Multi Entry Business Visa without the requirements of employer or job documents, however I will make a further inquiry into this with a good mate of mine that lives there and runs a large business

No,

I believe that you are able to obtain a Multi Entry Business Visa &Work Permit without the requirements of employer or job documents, however I will make a further inquiry into this with a good mate of mine that lives there and runs a large business

I have just received confirmation that there is no requirement for job/business documents.

Just come in on an E Visa US$35 then before 2 months go to travel agency & they will extend 1 year Business Visa and then extend Yearly Multi Entry.

There is no such thing as visa runs there.

• Like 1