PM says his patience has limits with biased columnists

rooster59

At this point given what is happening, I really do wonder why these Thai political topics are even open for discussion here. Seems like playing with fire. Discussions about such issues can take place on websites EXTERNAL to Thailand ... but hasn't this become a dance now here? Aren't people afraid this is going to hit expats just expressing their reasoned opinions?

Yup, I decided never to post in these topics for that reason. I like living here.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day they start rounding up foreigners for sharing opinions online on an external website related to Thailand will be a decsive one for the junta. Media in the west would go nuts and I am sure politicians won't stay quiet on it. Tourist numbers and foreign investment would dwindle as this place looks more and more like North Korea.

It's just the local population that they car about.

He's had it with criticism so annoying columnists will be invited for ' talks ' with security officers, an invite that can't be refused !

I take it the D word still can't be used ?

Assuming you don't mean 'democracy' then I don't think it can be used. I do seem to remember the PM saying he now had total control of the country with article 44. So maybe you can use the definition rather than the word.

Either way no one person can be in total control. Even Kim Jong-un only has control with the support of the military. If he cut their privileges he'd be out of power very quickly. The Thai PM is in no different a position. If he upsets too many in the military he won't have the support to continue. This may explain some of the lack of action regarding alleged corruption in the military. Assuming it's not because there isn't any of course. Even the police can't be entirely controlled due to their numbers.

The PM's problem is that the population is even larger and support amongst the ranks in the military will only go so far. His lack of political experience is beginning to show. He's brought peace but he doesn't seem to understand what needs to follow and how to take three population forward with him. He needs to understand this quickly as the consequences of not doing so could be very bad. Let's hope he gets it right.

And so it begins.

Bias is always in the eye of the beholder. Almost by definition an opinion writer has bias, Whether or not you agree with that bias is another matter.

Free societies deal with that. There will always be opinions that you disagree with. The totalitarian societies tell you what opinion is acceptable, everything gets labeled as seditious.

I fear that we are well down the road to the latter

A long way down that road

Bias will always be present in op-ed pieces

Maybe if he would think more before he talks or does many stupid remarks or complaints that all he has to do is speak kindly to the columnist. He has no finesse in his actions because he knows he is untouchable in Thailand. But his only downfall is that the rest of the word sees it and thinks less of him for it. No other Democratic leader in the world speaks with so much hatred and lack of respect for the press and there columnists! But then i forgot for a moment that Thailand,s junta leader does not have to even try to act like a true Democracy leader. Thailand sinking lower and all he does is write a new song!

I think it is getting close to the time when we ask Thai Visa how much they are willing to share with the Thai government about who is posting here. The TV terms of service says they will not share info with companies, but what about governments? I for one am getting increasingly worried about posting my thoughts here as the government is cracking down on social media wherever it can be found.

Edited by Seligne2

At this point given what is happening, I really do wonder why these Thai political topics are even open for discussion here. Seems like playing with fire. Discussions about such issues can take place on websites EXTERNAL to Thailand ... but hasn't this become a dance now here? Aren't people afraid this is going to hit expats just expressing their reasoned opinions?

Yes, I can see posting NEWS of these things here, but I am concerned about the RISKS members are taking posting about them.

I assume this will continue, but if you haven't considered this already ... I'd say be careful what you post here about Thai politics. Of course, if you live abroad, you don't have that worry unless you want to visit or live here later.

Run Jingthing run, they're coming! lol

Locking up foriegners for expressing their political views will not happen. Post lese majeste and yes you will be in trouble but politics, no law against that. Chill, I think the PM is talking about Thai Citizens only. This is Thailand not Iraq. Pls post, your views are yours, don't be afraid of voicing them.

If I'm wrong then it would be the first time Thailand has imprisioned a foreigner for posting his views on politics.

Yes, I can see posting NEWS of these things here, but I am concerned about the RISKS members are taking posting about them.

I assume this will continue, but if you haven't considered this already ... I'd say be careful what you post here about Thai politics. Of course, if you live abroad, you don't have that worry unless you want to visit or live here later.

Locking up foriegners for expressing their political views will not happen. Post lese majeste and yes you will be in trouble but politics, no law against that. Chill, I think the PM is talking about Thai Citizens only. This is Thailand not Iraq. Pls post, your views are yours, don't be afraid of voicing them.

If I'm wrong then it would be the first time Thailand has imprisioned a foreigner for posting his views on politics.

Yeah, they just go after journalists, foreign or Thai......and ambassadors.

Yeah, they just go after journalists, foreign or Thai......and ambassadors.

You should google Jonathan Head, chief SE Asia correspondent for BBC.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I side with Jingthing on this. Like you said it would be the first time thailand imprisoned a foreigner and i donot want to be that person and I believe all TV members donot want to be but this guy is such a loose cannon it is more than possible it is highly probable.. And there has to be a first for everything.

Edited by lovelomsak

And we take one more step towards a totally Totalitarian state.

Oh dear. How long before they shut down ThaiVisa and start rounding us up for attitude adjustment?

yes that's might happen. At the moment we are allowed to discuss political issues. I suppose the time will come that one of the generals wants to know about farang's thinking. At the moment's obsticle: language. But there will somebody for translation. Only matter of time...

I wonder if the self-appointed "PM" has yet realized that the patience of the Thai people for a self-appointed supreme ruler has limits, too.

Fr!ckin moron... coffee1.gif

Hmmm...quite naive are you, as it seems. Thais dont care about democracy that much. Food, sanuk, facebook, selfies and money a.o. is what they care about. Thanks to the educationsystem and hierarchical structure of thai society he will get away with it for much longer.

This is a society ruled by FEAR. The thais know and accept it.

Indifference is the last virtue of a dying society.

I guess he was thinking this Prime Minister thing would be a like a Hollywood movie and a well loved movie star type of affair ....

Glory, glamour and public praise in abundance and never a discouraging word....and maybe even a fan club.

Cheers

His lack of political experience is beginning to show.

Incorrect: his lack of political experience - indeed his overall lack of personal and professional experience - have shown from the beginning, none of which has any bearing on his position in charge of, perhaps, the world's most incompetant nation.

I side with Jingthing on this. Like you said it would be the first time thailand imprisoned a foreigner and i donot want to be that person and I believe all TV members donot want to be but this guy is such a loose cannon it is more than possible it is highly probable.. And there has to be a first for everything.

Well Now...that is an interesting twist to this particular post.

I would hope ( I really do ) that the administrators of Thai Visa would forewarn the members of any such changes in "attitude" held by the current military administration towards foreigners that are voicing their opinions and or criticisms about the current government administration.

I would hope the Thai Visa administrators and the owners of Thai Visa are keeping a close watch on the issue of free speech and or criticism of the government by way of or through their particular social media platform and inform us accordingly.

It would be in their best interest while it would be most interesting to hear exactly what the Thai Visa Administers and or the Thai Visa owners have to say about foreigners expressing their public opinions and criticisms about the current military establishment ....while using their social media platform as one of many social media platforms to question or complain or criticize the Status Quo.

Do you think they would be inclined to answer this particular concern as no one wants to get in trouble with anyone if it can be avoided by knowing the ground rules beforehand

Cheers

well, it actually would not be the FIRST time, they have had defamation and LM cases against numerous Falang, most recently I recall the Phuketwan case brought by the Navy against some poor guy who reported on their involvement in human trafficking.. whistling.gif

If the government wants your I.P. to pursue an investigation or make charges, they're going to get it. Duh! People didn't know this already?

Not a bad idea to be harmonious with the choice of words here.

The Thai soul strives for harmony.

Criticism, if it is not properly formulated, is understood here as always confrontal (as a threat in person or in position).

A critical discussion; understood as a struggle to find the best solution, is a western concept.

If a mistake is made, no matter where, whether at work, in private life or in public, an open criticism can be fatal here. This is the save face concept.

Another concept is the ranking.

Thais recognized already at the welcome, who has the higher rank and who has the lower rank. Easy to see when Thais mutually exchange the Wai.

Thais accept normally their given ranks.

And if this harmony bubble is pierced, it comes often to aggression.

Edited by tomacht8

If the government wants your I.P. to pursue an investigation or make charges, they're going to get it. Duh! People didn't know this already?

How? ThaiVisa appears to be hosted by Amazon.com in Singapore. That's the best I could do with a tracert timing out several times. The last time I did it, it appeared to be hosted in the US in Silicon Valley. Maybe someone can do better from Thailand.

Of course some of us aren't in the country and would just love a certain someone knock on our door. thumbsup.gif

I wish I could read the Thai people well enough to know if they'd ever do something about this, or whether they'd tolerate forever. When people get brainwashed into thinking a government should rule them rather than the other way around, they tend to roll over and take it. "First they came for..."

So you think I'm being paranoid? Let's all hope you're right.

Sorry Jingthing, having read the local news tonight I fully understand yours and other posters concern. But I won't let "them" put fear into me. We have many members, we are from many nations, all we wish to do is discuss politics. If we cannot do that because of fear for ourselves, maybe we should find another hobby or discuss the weather. Its cold in my neck of the woods, hows it near you?

This junta leader, his cronies and the blatantly obvious erosion of the appeal of this country to foreigners both here and abroad are a perfect milieu for neighbouring ASEAN countries to take advantage of.

If I was involved in their tourism marketing schemes I know what I would fuel my marketing on. Compare and contrast doesn't have to look like a hammer but if done properly can sure leave one with a distinct image of " a better deal" is possible elsewhere.

On the other hand, the junta leader and his minions seems to be doing everything they can to undermine Thai marketing efforts.

Edited by WaiLai