Christmas becoming more popular in Thailand

rooster59

Yeah... except that almost no one in the country knows why you even celebrate "real" Christmas..... most Thais just knows Coca Cola Christmas with Gifts, Santa Claus and Christmas Trees....

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people who are not as fortunate as yourself....

No it's not... Christmas is about getting presents and running up your credit card debt.. Will soon take off here.

Yes the West have definitely exported the meaning of "debt" to Thailand and it is really starting to take hold. "Debt" education should be taught in schools. Yes Christmas is gaining a foothold in Thailand I can see it in all of the stores here. Returning stuff can be a real pain here. I guess they do not celebrate Boxing Day. In Thailand I have found once you buy something its yours no returns or exchanges. That is one of the fun parts of Christmas. The good thing about giving money is that one size fits all and the color is always right.

It took almost an hour to explain to my P3 students that Xmas is about giving and sharing, not receiving. Fell on deaf ears. sad.png

So, I organised donations to our local Soi Dog foundation and we made the largest contribution compared to all other classes. thumbsup.gif

Now they know what giving feels like. coffee1.gif

There is definitely more in the doing than the telling. Kind of a reach for your wallet hands on approach. Lets hope they go forth and multiply the process. Peace and goodwill well to the animals anyways.

It took almost an hour to explain to my P3 students that Xmas is about giving and sharing, not receiving. Fell on deaf ears. sad.png

So, I organised donations to our local Soi Dog foundation and we made the largest contribution compared to all other classes. thumbsup.gif

Hope it was lethal injections freely given.....

Arrived in Thailand on the 10th December with my wife (Thai) & 2 kids to try and escape Christmas and was shocked how popular it was in BKK & Pattaya, heading to Issan for hogmany so we'll see how popular whisky & shortbread is on hogmany.

Probably plenty of cheap whisky and shortbread replaced with somtam

Maybe someone should inform the Thais that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ , a Christian religion they do not have any interesst in. Imagine if we would celebrate Buddha day in the western world ?

Edited by balo

If theyt knew the true meaning, they would run like hell.

A baby born in a manger, homeless. Mary should have opted for Sin Sod, and got the 5 million baht house before the birth. So basically, Joseph went to their hometown to pay taxes, and Mary gave birth without sin sod being paid. Both of these ideas would be totally alien to a Thai.

Edited by slipperylobster

Arrived in Thailand on the 10th December with my wife (Thai) & 2 kids to try and escape Christmas and was shocked how popular it was in BKK & Pattaya, heading to Issan for hogmany so we'll see how popular whisky & shortbread is on hogmany.

Probably plenty of cheap whisky and shortbread replaced with somtam

I hope not, we brought 6 box's of shortbread with us.

A cunning plan!

Using xmas to teach basic buddhist values to students that don't have a clue what buddhism is about.

Thais haven;t a clue as to what Christmas is - the birth of Jesus

The majority of Thais have no clue as to who Siddhartha was, aka The Buddha. How do you expect them to know who Yeshua aka Jesus Christ was? laugh.png Say what you like about the Muslims, but at least the overwhelming majority know who Mohammed/Allah was laugh.png

Maybe someone should inform the Thais that Christmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ , a Christian religion they do not have any interesst in. Imagine if we would celebrate Buddha day in the western world ?

Heck no...

Telling them all the fairy tale details about Christmas would be ruining all their new found fun and interest to join in on the festivities.

Heck...if the man known as Jesus was alive today he would be pleased as pleased can be to witness all the fun and festivities celebrated on his behalf ...and every year since he existed.

It is a big birthday party celebrated for nearly 10 days of the year ..every year.

Even though it has been overly commercialized to the point of ad nauseam people want to participate because it is all meant to be in good fun and cheer and any excuse not to have to go to work....and party hardy instead.

Thank Ya Jesus..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyK1bZZ7E-s

Cheers

Thais haven;t a clue as to what Christmas is - the birth of Jesus

The majority of Thais have no clue as to who Siddhartha was, aka The Buddha. How do you expect them to know who Yeshua aka Jesus Christ was? laugh.png Say what you like about the Muslims, but at least the overwhelming majority know who Mohammed/Allah was laugh.png

Yes, a paedophile.

Yeah... except that almost no one in the country knows why you even celebrate "real" Christmas..... most Thais just knows Coca Cola Christmas with Gifts, Santa Claus and Christmas Trees....

The true spirit of Christmas is about giving to people who are not as fortunate as yourself....

Is that any different to the Americans celebrating Halloween. How many know the story behind that?

No it's not... Christmas is about getting presents and running up your credit card debt.. Will soon take off here.

It has already taken off here in Thailand, getting worse each year. Just another commercial enterprise well orchestrated.

post-84560-0-25484300-1451161130_thumb.j

Christmas is a fraud that has become a horrible commercial bonanza for the retailers. One of the best things about living here is to get away from it, but I've noticed a growing presence in Thailand each year. Big shame!

I'm all for having holiday time at the end of each year for families to come together, but Christmas needs to be dropped outside of the church. The Christian marketing men took December 25th from the Pagans and now the agnostic/atheist marketing men have taken it from the Christians.

I wonder how many people, Christians included, still believe Jesus was born on December 25th!

Would they be "Christians" if they did not believe it? whistling.gif Or are Christians only those who believe that the Bible is inerrant?

Personally I do not need "gods" to reward or punish me. Just do good things for people without reward, when ever and where ever you can!

Ooops...what have I started now? gigglem.gif

Thai peoples love to party and perhaps Christmas is just another excuse?

The new Thai lady said 'Christmas is next week. What are you going to buy me'?. I was

like, 'I don't celebrate Christmaps, I'm not

religious'. She didn't believe me. She juthinks I'm cheap now. Maybe I'll just buy here a giant crucifix and nativity set as her gift.

With her grabby attitude I would suggest you buy her a bus ticket one way.

Christmas is a fraud that has become a horrible commercial bonanza for the retailers. One of the best things about living here is to get away from it, but I've noticed a growing presence in Thailand each year. Big shame!

I'm all for having holiday time at the end of each year for families to come together, but Christmas needs to be dropped outside of the church. The Christian marketing men took December 25th from the Pagans and now the agnostic/atheist marketing men have taken it from the Christians.

I wonder how many people, Christians included, still believe Jesus was born on December 25th!

Would they be "Christians" if they did not believe it? whistling.gif Or are Christians only those who believe that the Bible is inerrant?

Personally I do not need "gods" to reward or punish me. Just do good things for people without reward, when ever and where ever you can!

Ooops...what have I started now? gigglem.gif

Thai peoples love to party and perhaps Christmas is just another excuse?

The point is that he wasn't born on Dec 25th and no one knows the actual year or date of his birth. Dec 25th is the date selected by the church to celebrate his birth and deliberately chosen as part of their pagan recruitment plan. It suits the churches narrative to let people believe it's the actual date.

I agree. Nothing wrong with a party. It's just the Christmas wrapping I'm against.