prk888

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

Agreed. Now if only every driver was a rocket scientist .... !!!! 

We are all responsible for our own actions. I know I wait until there's a clear gap in the traffic, not make a mad dash across. What other people do is not my concern.

1 hour ago, retoocs01 said:

Or you drive a few metres more and do a safe u-turn at the next traffic lights.

The U turn opposite Makro is safe if you use your common sense and wait until there's no traffic coming.

Its never safe to be cutting across 4 lanes of fast moving traffic...as for waiting for the 4 lanes to be clear before making the dash I think most would get bored waiting.

Last Monday on the southbound carriageway and this Tuesday on the northbound carriageway near to these new U-Turns the police have had big road blocks pulling over every motorcycle and checking licences etc

I have done the Makro u-turn over a dozen times now in peak and not so peak times. It's dangerous if you can't wait and think you can shoot the gap. The traffic lights at Bun Kanchana are timed generously enough to give acres of space once the initial, manic rush goes past. The only 'trick' I have used is make sure I am well to the south-side of the narrow u-turn to prevent the idiots on motorbikes getting between me and my view of traffic.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

We are all responsible for our own actions. I know I wait until there's a clear gap in the traffic, not make a mad dash across. What other people do is not my concern.

Yet what YOU do is my concern, because I have no idea whether you are a rocket scientist or a numpty behind the wheel. For personal safety reasons, I have to presume you are a numpty out to ruin my day - it's self preservation, hence my plea for more rocket scientists on the roads.

(relax, I'm teasing)

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I used the U turn for the first time to cross into Makro. You do need to be very careful, but as long as you're not playing Russian roulette, it's safe.

So you crossed the continuous line (see pictures above) to cross into Macro!

Edited by Breizh

6 hours ago, Breizh said:

So you crossed the continuous line (see pictures above) to cross into Macro!

Did you imagine that they would install a U turn directly opposite the entrance to Makro and no one was going cross the line?

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Did you imagine that they would install a U turn directly opposite the entrance to Makro and no one was going cross the line?

I never imagined that cars would drive through a junction a full 5 seconds after the light changed to red.

I never imagined that motorcycles would use the shoulder to drive in the opposite direction to the traffic.

I never imagined that motorists (cars and motorcycles) would pull out of a junction onto the main road without even glancing towards the oncoming traffic.

I never imagined that vehicles would overtake on a solid white line near the brow of a hill or a blind bend whilst flashing their headlights for oncoming traffic to move over.

Then I came to live in Thailand.

Anyone who uses this U-turn to get to Makro, instead of travelling an extra 800m to use the correct route, is taking an unacceptable risk. The solid white line is there for a good reason (even though this U-turn is an extremely poor piece of highway planning).

If you believe that you have superhuman powers of concentration and will always notice the speeding motorcycle or small car hiding behind the truck, or the parked car outside the car dealership that starts to move off just as you start to cross, blocking your path (and several other possible scenarios), I wish you good luck - but you are playing Russian roulette with your own life and others.

Apologies for the rant.

Speaking of treacherous U-turns on Sukhumvit, are they adding some super-sized U-turns to replace the Pattaya Klang intersection?  I see some "interesting" lane patterns across the median just north of the intersection and wonder what that's all about.

59 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Speaking of treacherous U-turns on Sukhumvit, are they adding some super-sized U-turns to replace the Pattaya Klang intersection?  I see some "interesting" lane patterns across the median just north of the intersection and wonder what that's all about.

if so then these could be VERY interesting considering the likely traffic speed approaching the underpass

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Aided and abetted by copious traffic lights under the watchful eye, supervision and optional manual control of a qualified traffic cop... and his whistle.

1 hour ago, prk888 said:

if so then these could be VERY interesting considering the likely traffic speed approaching the underpass

The u-turns will be on top of the tunnel, between where the current resurfacing is buggering up the slip roads. Underpass or otherwise, I reckon the speed of traffic will be relatively unchanged, ie. flat out and aiming for the gaps.

21 hours ago, prk888 said:

aAquestion.

Now these are open what do you think are the advantages over the old, now closed & beautified  u-turn a little way south?

Stops the buses and big trucks u-turning?

Stops the annoying right-turning farkers coming up on your passenger side and making 2 or 3 lines of traffic turning in front of you, blocking your view.... and wiping out any chance of you realistically getting into Makro in a straight shot!?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Stops the buses and big trucks u-turning?

Stops the annoying right-turning farkers coming up on your passenger side and making 2 or 3 lines of traffic turning in front of you, blocking your view.... and wiping out any chance of you realistically getting into Makro in a straight shot!?

totally valid observations & comments.  Let's all hope the accident rate is subsequently reduced too 

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The u-turns will be on top of the tunnel, between where the current resurfacing is buggering up the slip roads. Underpass or otherwise, I reckon the speed of traffic will be relatively unchanged, ie. flat out and aiming for the gaps.

Why not just have a regular intersection (with traffic lights) on top of the tunnel?  There was a LOT of traffic that used that intersection to turn right onto Sukhumvit and large amounts of southbound traffic turning on to Pattaya Klang from Sukhumvit.  And now all that traffic will be making U-turns?  :shock1:

38 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Why not just have a regular intersection (with traffic lights) on top of the tunnel?  There was a LOT of traffic that used that intersection to turn right onto Sukhumvit and large amounts of southbound traffic turning on to Pattaya Klang from Sukhumvit.  And now all that traffic will be making U-turns?  :shock1:

A roundabout would be better if only they would use them.  One roundabout takes out the need for 2 U-turns, doesn't hold up traffic as much as traffic lights and used properly is far safer.

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Who said that it will all be u-turns? The only u-turns that were there before were (mostly) controlled by traffic lights. The tunnel should remove the 80% of straight-through traffic so a staggered crossroads with traffic light control (and u-turns), just like before but with a whole lot less traffic.

Unless it's a holiday weekend of course then all bets are off.

9 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I'm pretty sure I saw the structures going up for the new traffic lights.  I'll try to take a picture today.

first one I've seen .......... saturday morning at about 11.00 .    ...................... Vios actually stationary in 3rd northbound lane and pointing sideways at &  trying to get across into Makro ............... Hamilton's pickup brakes frantically and swerves to the left to avoid  the Vios ................. and clips a motorcyclist.  Nothing toooo serious as motor cyclist was luckily aware of what was going to happen and fell elegantly but could have been very nasty .  

Be aware of these and do drive safely !

2 hours ago, prk888 said:

first one I've seen .......... saturday morning at about 11.00 .    ...................... Vios actually stationary in 3rd northbound lane and pointing sideways at &  trying to get across into Makro ............... Hamilton's pickup brakes frantically and swerves to the left to avoid  the Vios ................. and clips a motorcyclist.  Nothing toooo serious as motor cyclist was luckily aware of what was going to happen and fell elegantly but could have been very nasty .  

Be aware of these and do drive safely !

Ah yes. No amount of solid white lines, rumble strips, flashing lights and signage will compensate for the age-old Thailand method of "If I inch my nose out long enough, they will ALL STOP FOR ME." It is almost as reliable as the, "This is my lane and I am going fast and my lights are flashing so you should ALL STOP NOW!"  method of getting in front. Couple this with the, "Oh look, brake lights... I'd better change lanes quickly and accelerate around the inside now or else I'll have to stop.