Planting Some Fruit Trees

Hi,

Me and the wife, well her really, have a very small piece of land, enough for house and surrounding garden. We will be going out there in a few months and start thinking about building on it.

It crossed my mind that if we want some decent fruit or vegetables in about 5 years when we eventually move back out there, it might be a good idea to plant soon.

Any suggestions on what's worth planting soon for the long term future? The soil is probably bad, how much for a truckload of decent compost?

Thanks, as always.

Robin.

I would suggest that you first improve the soil (if necessary) and then take your time choosing what fruit you want to grow. The best time for planting is towards the beginning of the wet season – free and easy watering for a few months enables the plants to become established quickly.

Be careful with some fruit trees because they attract a lot of pests which you wouldn’t want near to the house.

As to what to plant start with what you will eat! A couple of lime trees should be essential because lime juice is used in so many Thai dishes – ask the wife what she wants is probably the easiest way forward!

In different parts of Thailand you would probably want to plant different types of trees. I'd find out what fruits are grown wherever you will be building (you don't say) and plant them all....except you don't need to plant bananas or papayas since they will start to produce in about a year or two.

Small fruit trees are really cheap for most varieties so might as well plant alot of them....maybe even too many and closer than you want them eventually. Many kinds of fruit trees that are 5 years old can be transplanted fairly easily so if you have some extras you could give them away as gifts....or just throw them away...their really cheap.

I agree with SamSipEt about improving the soil if necessary...and even if its not necessary it will only make a good thing better.

Chownah

In different parts of Thailand you would probably want to plant different types of trees. I'd find out what fruits are grown wherever you will be building (you don't say) and plant them all....except you don't need to plant bananas or papayas since they will start to produce in about a year or two.

Small fruit trees are really cheap for most varieties so might as well plant alot of them....maybe even too many and closer than you want them eventually. Many kinds of fruit trees that are 5 years old can be transplanted fairly easily so if you have some extras you could give them away as gifts....or just throw them away...their really cheap.

I agree with SamSipEt about improving the soil if necessary...and even if its not necessary it will only make a good thing better.

Chownah

All good advice given so far

How's the water situation,have you a well ?If not getting one dug will prove economical in the fullness of time.Your garden will love you for it.

I suggest you seek the advice of your wife (if she's like mine) she's probably got a wealth of knowledge regarding what can be cooked (seemingly almost everything) or eaten fresh.

You'll need to take into account the mature height of your trees with regard to overhead cables/wires,if appropriate.

I suggest kanoon (jackfruit) and man-mowang (mango) both tall trees,as they are hardy,offer goodly amounts of shade and delicious fruit which can be eaten before ripe (cooked as curry in the case of kanoon) thereby making for a longer season.

Definetly go for the overplanting the area option.

Good luck.