"Roundabout" now equals "dolphin"?

wpcoe

I don't think a lot of Foreigners know the Thai word for Roundabout, which is Wong Wian so the driver just used a distinctive feature which is the dolpin.thumbsup.gif

Btw: if you type the Thai words for roundabout into Google translate it comes back to English as Circus biggrin.png

Circus is another name for a circular road junction in English. Hence Piccadilly Circus. You didn't think we had elephants and clowns in the middle of London, did you?

Yes, but isn't a British Circus a rounded open space where several streets converge? IMO nearly all intersections here in Pattaya are circuses. biggrin.png with loads of clowns.

The same logic can also be applied to the UK. While travelling in the North recently I was lost and had to ask directions. It took me a while to figure out that they called "roundabouts" "islands" up there.Trying to follow the directions was like travelling through some Northern archipelago.

You must have led a sheltered life, that is very common throughout the UK. The alternative wording can only be used one way, not all traffic islands are round, so it is in fact becoming the norm.

Hemel Hempstead introduced the 'Magic Roundabout' in 1973, a traffic island with satellites, imagine how that would go down in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)

there is no HANUMAN statue in Jomtien. it was always incorrectly called this. Hanuman is the Hindu monkey god of war. The statue in Jomtien is Machanu. They have recently put a wooden sign next to it with those words.

Machanu has a fish tail see images

machanu images

Note the striking difference of Hanuman

hanuman images

How this came about that the statue was wrongly named I will never know. I was about to type about the religion here and then thought better of it...Thais put garlands round Ganesh the Hindu Elephant god and also this Machanu.....to me its like a Glasgow Rangers supporter carrying rosary beads. But, hey whatever floats yer boat

There is still a bar in Jomtien called "Flying Dolphins".

but there is No Dolphin roundabout any where now.......except in old Taxi drivers minds....

there is no HANUMAN statue in Jomtien. it was always incorrectly called this. Hanuman is the Hindu monkey god of war. The statue in Jomtien is Machanu. They have recently put a wooden sign next to it with those words.

Machanu has a fish tail see images

machanu images

Note the striking difference of Hanuman

hanuman images

How this came about that the statue was wrongly named I will never know. I was about to type about the religion here and then thought better of it...Thais put garlands round Ganesh the Hindu Elephant god and also this Machanu.....to me its like a Glasgow Rangers supporter carrying rosary beads. But, hey whatever floats yer boat

There is still a bar in Jomtien called "Flying Dolphins".

but there is No Dolphin roundabout any where now.......except in old Taxi drivers minds....

Machanu is the SON of Hanuman (and trained by demons) so if Thais are putting garlands around Machanu they are worshiping and saluting evil (probably accidently) lol

Edited by LannaGuy