Minimum Age Raised To 25 For Buyers Of Booze

george

Don't forget your passport if you're a bit over 25 ore you look a bit younger than, if you want to buy alc! :D

Thank you for raising that point. I must remember to carry my passport from now on. :o

Why's that.. did they raise the age limit to 65yrs ?? :D

totster :D

No joke for years here in Phuket you could not buy glue to fix you bikes and even today its is hard to find.

The problem with not proper education is they over react to everything.

The group who suggested they ban drinking how big a group where they and what right did they have to represent the whole country, does any one think here ?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the tuk Tuk brake wheely real and if so who did it and where ?

See the film "ong bak"

As for the booze question this is prohabition all over again !

It's not prohibition.. but I do think it over reaction... and over reaction not very well thought out.

totster :o

"Thailand ranks No. 5 in the world for consumption of alcohol. On average, a Thai consumes 14 litres of alcoholic drinks per year, according to the Thailand Development Research Institute"

Something tells me that if you took all us Farrangs who live here away and stopped others visiting - Thailand would be about number 105 on the list.

I have 2 kids that I adopted so i can understand people concern about drunk drivers as it is out of control here I have never seen in my life so many people killed and injured by drunk drivers but banning all drinking until the age of 25 is going to far.

Education would be better ! As some thing needed to be done.

The thought of a 24 year old adult from USA/Europe/Aus etc.. not being able to buy alcohol is ridiculous.

totster :o

The thought of any 24 year old adult not being able to buy alcohol is ridiculous

This is prohibition by any other name

There are 4 countries which impose a minimum age of 21 years, Malaysia, South Korea, USA and Ukraine. 19 of the 50 States in the USA have lower limits. Japan is at 20 and there are a few major countries with their limit set at 16 years of age.

Thailand, in imposing an age limit of 25 is, as observed by Totster, just short of prohibition and is probably unenforceable. And it will, no doubt, operate against Thailand's large tourist industry when the word gets around, which it will.

Laws like these are only as good as the will of the public officials to enforce them and that seems to be rather doubtful when laying a few hundred baht on a policeman's palm is an accepted practic e.

So it seems to me that the crackdown ought to be imposed as much on the officials as it is the offenders, some balance needs to be achieved and this isn't the way to accomplish the goal.

It appears that this announcement may only be a draft, subject to consideration by the new congress, parliament, or legislative body. But maybe not; perhaps the current health ministry already has the authority.

Again, is this a nationwide ban, or only in designated zones like schools, unis, temples, etc?

This part of the announcement is interesting: a monk said, "the drinking of alcohol, which is prohibited in the five Buddhist precepts, is much more harmful and sinful than lottery betting."

It also stated that "Thailand ranks No. 5 in the world for consumption of alcohol."

I doubt that the cited study on the increase of teenage drinking is accurate or meaningful.

Ahh, yes, showing one's ID to buy booze. I drank and purchased no alcoholic beverages from age 22 to about 55, and then went to the store to buy beer for the family on a holiday celebration. My grandson was about 15 then, and we insisted that the clerk check my ID to prove I was old enough to buy beer :o.

Yes, TIT, and we don't have lots of laws enforced here, etc. But if the news gets out (even erroneously) that Thailand is now very strict on visas, strict on work permits, xenophobic, the drinking age is 25 minimum, etc., then it will affect tourism. It will affect the teaching of English by gap year students. And if they hear they can't have sex in Thailand any more........

god i hope that doesnt mean the girls working at the bars, or the girls allowed inside clubs are going to be minimum 25yo!!!!

I doubt it.

I think prostitution will be next on Govt. list.

With regards to alcohol - they should make it illegal, or legalise ALL drugs.

Such hypocrisy here, and my home country regarding drugs, of which alcohol is the most dangerous.

Why not start promoting marijuana use as an alternative - less violence, people killed.

Seems to work in many Indian states.

Thats Thailand out as a holiday destination to all farangs (and other non thais) under 25..

have you ever seen a non-Asian get carded while purchasing alcohol or entering a bar in Thailand?

they'll check Thais, but they'll continue to let 12-year-old white boys drink.

But if the news gets out (even erroneously) that Thailand is now very strict on visas, strict on work permits, xenophobic, the drinking age is 25 minimum, etc., then it will affect tourism.

Certainly, but the cover story for the impending downturn is already in place: New Tourism Minister prefers quality to quantitiy. When the tourist arrivals drop precipitously, the claim will be made "but of course the arrival numbers have dropped, we are focusing on quality tourists now!". This about-face will be backed up in turn by some bogus Krung Thai Bank study showing that those tourists that are still coming are spending 100K baht per day while here. :o

Edited by ovenman

It is an extreme measure, I agree, but the people behind this law are from a previous Thai generation that is surey better than we are at witnessing Thai culture going down the drain fast, extremely fast. You can expect similar measures in the near future.

KAREN ATTWOOD, young tourist, killed by drunken fishermen.

Drunk policeman shoots tourist, runs over his girlfriend then executes her.

Ring a bell?

This law is way better than ordering the execution of over 2000 drug dealers to bring social order. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Probably WILL save quite a few young souls from the road to alcoholism on one hand.

yes, a couple decades back here in the USA, we raised our minimum drinking age from 18 to 21, and now we have no alcoholics, no drunk driving accidents, and no alcohol related problems. it's worked like a charm.

we just made a rule and our of our problems went away.

we don't even have a President who spent his 20s and 30s in a drunken stupor and admits to being a recovering alcoholic.

Gosh why stop at 25? Why not just raise the minimum age for booze buyers to 50? :o

Yes and then produce medical evidence that indicates that alcohol is more harmful to older people and ban it completely. It is interesting that people are considered old enough to make a mature decision on what politician to vote for or be MPs themselves, to serve in the army or police, to own a gun and be executed by the state but not mature to choose their own beverage. Personally I think the age of majority should be the same for all these things. Enforcement is likely to be a problem and it will probably result in more drug taking.

hallo all readers

I come from a country with a LOT of breweries (about 800 on 10 000 000 people) and I am not an alcoholic neither my friends nor my children ...

the raise of age to 25 is as absurd as the age to handle alcohol in the US (many cashiers in the US cannot touch a bottle of beer and need to call their supervisor) ...

my observation ... in Belgium many youngsters drink beer (moderate with some exceptions) as police has made a good commercial about BOB (one dedicated driver that does not drink etc)... In th US , youngsters stand in dark alleys drinking hard booze ... for the thrill etc ...

I read most of the comments here and it is obvious that it is an educational problem but as education goes in TH ... it is easier to pass a law that will not be observed or will generate some sidemoney ...

it is a pity they are not teaching many of the youngsters (TH future workforce ) to be more responsible, to observer the old rules (respect, moderation etc) but what else can they do if they look at the tv soaps where anything goes ...

teach and educate young people from the start what key values are in the society ... as Farangs we should also respect those values and I do agree that some farangs are certainly not a good role model (drunk, loud, no respect ....) and those TH should use the same rules as anywhere else : disturbance of the neighborhood results in fines and jail ...

my 2 cents ...

There are 4 countries which impose a minimum age of 21 years, Malaysia, South Korea, USA and Ukraine. 19 of the 50 States in the USA have lower limits.

you're outdated by about 20 years for the USA.

the last "state" to allow those under 21 to drink alcohol was washington DC in the late 1980s.

all 50 states + washington DC now have a minimum drinking age of 21.

and Utah is nearly completely alcohol-free.

The first time I drank was with my parents and I was well under 18, the allowed me a glass of wine, later I was allowed a couple of glasses or a couple of beers.

They figured it was better to drink under their supervision and learn to drink responsibly than start unsupervised with friends of my own age.

The message from the government is not to drink in moderation, just don't drink. There's no effort to educate, doesn't seem to be counseling services etc.

There seems to be this attitude in Thailand (and the rest of Asia) that simply banning things will end the problem.

have you ever seen a non-Asian get carded while purchasing alcohol or entering a bar in Thailand?

they'll check Thais, but they'll continue to let 12-year-old white boys drink.

Yes I've seen. In our 7/11 the son (14) can't buy beer for his father (farang) - and I mean in the allowed time they've.

it will increase the ability of the police to rob tourists by threatening punishmet for intoxication.

this law will not reduce the number of drinkers it will only increase the number of criminals (those breaking the new law)...

As always prohibitions do not work as has been shown in the past in other countries. Just makes people do whatever is prohibited illegally. Personally I think this not buying alcohol every afternoon is daft but I know some will disagree as it is intended to stop kids from school buying alcohol. So the intention is honourable but I think misguided and causes UNNECESSARY inconvenience to normal adults doing their shopping say in Tesco Lotus int he afternoon and wanting to buy their say 6-12 cans of Beer Chang for the week's home supply. Policing the sale of alcohol to minors must be the way to curb under age drinking not banning the sales to all every afternoon this is crazy and a ill thought out knee jerk reaction.

I think 18 was the right age to make alcohol legal to buy and ties in with most countries accept USA where I think it is 21. So if they changed it why not 21 why 25? That is way too old. You can vote and fight in the army for your country well under 25 so this is wrong IMHO and WILL NOT stop under aged drinking just drive it underground.

As to tourists well I don't think many under 25's come to Thailand anyway but still better to make it 21 than 25 !!

Sounds good to me, gets all the teenie boppers out the way. Not good for your KSR tourist though!!

yes, it will look like this very similiar place:

sp19_012.jpg

a block from Thapae Gate, Chiang Mai on a Saturday night at 22:30.... AFTER the alcohol ban goes into effect for 18-25 year olds.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

Photos of the Future section

Edited by sriracha john

I think its important to try and remember that alcahol is a recreational drug, it does kill many thousands per year world wide, probably more.

I agree that education and enforced punishment for those selling to under age drinkers is a better way to handle the problem but one thing is for sure. When I was 16 I could pass for 18 and so I drank all I could. Beer tasted better for the adventure of being under age but after a long haul with booze used as a recreational tool, I finally decided to see if I could go a year without a drink.

I wasn't an alcaholic, I just enjoyed a beer or 4.

Now its coming up for three years and I have had the odd beer here and there, maybe half a dozen over that time and for me it is better. I enjoy myself sober. I'm less of a pain in the arse too, which is better for those around me.

I hope this new approach will help kids but one thing is for sure, Passing a law like this while there is corruption as rife as it can be in Thailand is just pissing in the wind. Until such time as the law enforcers decide to do the right thing for the King and for this fine Kingdom and its fine people then no matter how many laws are passed (sain or insain), they will do no more than fuel an already tainted sess-pit of bribery and corruption which already cuts the legs out from under the very people they are set up to protect.

One day hopefully someone will rise to a place of power who can bring the police into line. Then and only then could a change such as this be enforced with honor and pride which so befits the Thai people.

Until then...Well more 200 baht fines is my guess.

Peace

Minimum age raised to 25 for buyers of booze

BANGKOK: -- Health authorities have stepped up measures to curb alcohol consumption among youth by moving up the minimum legal age of buyers from 18 to 25 years. Narong Sahamethapat, deputy chief of the Disease Control Department, said yesterday that the idea was proposed by a network of parents early this year during a public hearing of a draft bill to control alcoholic drinks.

The measure to raise the legal minimum age of buyers is part of a national campaign to save Thai youth from alcohol abuse, he said, adding that it has already been incorporated into Article 28 of the draft.

Under the bill, the following areas will be designated as alcohol-free zones [more...]

--Bangkok Post 2006-10-14

Might be an idea to raise the minimum age for riding motor-cycles also. I'm sure this would help Road Safety

It's totally reactionary to raise the minimum drinking age to tackle teenage drinking (well, of course its quite normal for everything to be reactionary here), and banning alcohol ads will just mean less tax and advertising revenue up and down the money-collection chain, which will mean less money available for the method that would actually be more likely to lessen the incidence:

Of course the ONLY effective way to deal with anything that poses a social problem is, ahem, EDUCATION. Not a novel concept, it's been around quite a few centuries.

Introducing classes on DRUG education, DRIVER education (one cld go on) would be far more likely to deliver results than banning the stuff. Reminds me of when the government declared it wouldn't allow Songkran holidays to go on too long to reduce road deaths.

As we do know Thailand, I bet that it will not affect the farang under 25 that are here on holiday. I think this is mainly aimed at the Thai youth which is the largest group that gets killed or maimed when drinking. As most farangs don't owned cars, they probably will not be looking at the younger farangs but that is only a guess. TIT can override any common sense.

Sorry to be wrong on your first post, but it will effect 25 and under farang much more than the same age-group Thais. The photos tell the picture.

As to tourists well I don't think many under 25's come to Thailand anyway but still better to make it 21 than 25 !!

Have you ever been to the Khao Sarn Road area? Or Chiang Mai, Koh Phang Ngan, Koh Tao or Phi Phi?

Backpackers may not spend the most amount of money but that little they do spend is more likely to end up in the pocket of a small Thai business rather than a multi-million baht corporation.

The original article, as seems to be quite common these days, is not very well-worded. The headline and first paragraph seem to state that this is going to happen but reading further the implication is that it is not set in stone just yet.

For those that have complained about the new Government bringing this in, remember the feasibility study took place during Thaksin's term and this announcement was actually due out the day after the coup.

It is a totally ridicuilous suggestion and there's no need to say why as it has been stated many times already.

I note they also mention an alcohol free day every so often. Surely this exists already with the various Buddhist days and Royal Birthdays.