Minimum Age Raised To 25 For Buyers Of Booze

george

The US prohibition was a complete failure. Both for booze and drugs.

Yes but the government grew larger so it was a success.

The FBI was created to deal with it. Hoover the transvestite to the rescue.

England attempted to outlaw gin a couple of hundred years ago (some time after the King had decreed that anyone could distill their own and it got slightly out of control :o - Dickens era).

It all went underground and eventually the govt woke up and just taxed it instead of prohibiting.

Did the US learn from this? - of course, they realised that there was a lot of money and criminals to be made and government would be enlarged in te process - otherwise why do it?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to reduce alcohol consumption generally and in particular decrease alcoholol related accidens than this is the answer:

Triple the price and fine every one with too much alcohol in the body from 50.000 baht to be paid instantly or loose your car or motorbike! In case there is an accident and people are wounded 250.000 minimum and in case there are deaths 1.000.000 minimum per dead body. Thay will definately help. And like in Europe set up unexpected check points all over the place at irregular times to check the alcohol promilige in each driver that passes. Enforce the law ands make them to be afraid of are the magic word! To try and bride an officer should double the penalty! To aacept brides should start with a minimum 10 years prison sentence.

But I wonder if drastic changes are really wanted . . . They got the tools but wont use them instead they come up with stupid new rules that they think sound great but that wont work at all!

If they want to reduce alcohol consumption generally and in particular decrease alcoholol related accidens than this is the answer:

Triple the price and fine every one with too much alcohol in the body from 50.000 baht to be paid instantly or loose your car or motorbike! In case there is an accident and people are wounded 250.000 minimum and in case there are deaths 1.000.000 minimum per dead body. Thay will definately help. And like in Europe set up unexpected check points all over the place at irregular times to check the alcohol promilige in each driver that passes. Enforce the law ands make them to be afraid of are the magic word! To try and bride an officer should double the penalty! To aacept brides should start with a minimum 10 years prison sentence.

But I wonder if drastic changes are really wanted . . . They got the tools but wont use them instead they come up with stupid new rules that they think sound great but that wont work at all!

50,000,000 people died in W2 to protect you from the police state you propose.

Was it in vain? Seems that way.

Just today the U.K. Government are again trying to get them to understand the dangers via a T.V. ad aimed at the 18-24 age group.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6045818.stm

There have been many different campaigns over the last couple of years in particular both at national and local levels to get them to moderate their drinking.

In the U.K. where I live they have tried educating the young on drinking and it fell on deaf ears.

They have introduced laws now at both levels to control recreational drinking as a consequence of this.

In my city among other things you cannot now walk in the street with a can / bottle or other container of alcohol. ( any age )

You are not allowed to drink in any recreational areas, parks beaches ect. for socializing or otherwise. ( any age )

Those that go underground are soon found and arrested due mainly to the public response on the problem and their tip offs.

( Just maybe if the article in the B.P. is anything to go by similar actions will happen here in Thailand. )

You have to be 18 to buy alcohol anywhere and supermarkets / sales outlets are only allowed to sell it at certain hours.

The law is strictly enforced and alkies / plonkies as they are known locally are banned and arrested and took into custody and now you can see the difference this has made.

Licences are withdrawn by anyone proved to be guilty of ignoring the laws and premises closed down.

Official photographic I.D. is required by to prove your age due to mis uderstandings and difficulties relating to being 18 years and over and the local authorities will supply a photo I.D. for this purpose, if you do not have this you are stopped entering.

No proof :- no entry onto the premises.

( Here they propose 25 for the age restriction based on their assessments. )

Just because re education has been ignored and the young are oblivious to the long term dangers and effects doesn,t mean we shouldn,t at least try to stem future suffering ect.

Please take this onboard before critisising what Thailand proposes to do with their problem.

They choose law as against any other method.

I do not see these actions being taken in Thailand re education and if culture is anything to go by I think there is no other choice but to introduce laws.

You can offer all the arguments you like on it being ridiculous ect. but the fact is there is a problem among the young Thais and they will take what actions they feel relevant to try and control it.

Enforced or not it is the governments decision and no matter what your take on it is.

It is the Thai Authorities choice to introduce it and I happen to think it will be helpful in awareness and just maybe reduce the shocking statistics on drink related incidents,

Especially motor related ones, within this age group

There are lots of Thais who will obey the new law should it be confirmed and they are the ones that count.

So long as the farang that look responsible enough to drink and are acting sensibly then it would be safe to assume they will be left alone in my humble opinion.

They are targeting Thai,s if you read the full article and I quote parts of it.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Oct2006_news10.php

Minimum age raised to 25 for buyers of booze

APIRADEE TREERUTKUARKUL

Health authorities have stepped up measures to curb alcohol consumption among youth by moving up the minimum legal age of buyers from 18 to 25 years. Narong Sahamethapat, deputy chief of the Disease Control Department, said yesterday that the idea was proposed by a network of parents early this year during a public hearing of a draft bill to control alcoholic drinks.

The measure to raise the legal minimum age of buyers is part of a national campaign to save Thai youth from alcohol abuse, he said, adding that it has already been incorporated into Article 28 of the draft.

Unquote………………………………………………………………………………………...................................

Now where does it say farang please.

There is a serious problem on the drinking habits of young people all over the world and each authority is concerned enough to take whatever steps they find relevant to curb the present cultures that are associated to health ect. and alcohol abuse.

I am used to being called a boring old fart / do gooder when i do not conform to certain serious issues as voiced by other posters. ( not only on this thread by the way )

I am happy to let you know i am neither.

This is fair comment and democratic and " up to you " but i stick by my own views and how you interpret my posts is your entitlement.

So no problem and just my 4 penneth at the end of the day amid genuine concerns about

Alcohol abuse, especially in young adults.

Go to any city in the U.K. and you may appreciate the problems and long term effects that are

there to be witnessed by any of you.

If you want to be in denial then no problem but reality says different the world over.

Socially and health wise.

marshbags

P.S.

Apologies for a rather long post trying to cover the various points i,d like to offer, in anticipation of the W.T.F. brigade.

North Korea is starting to look like freedom.:o

Sorry, I don't get that. My point was ands is that penalties must have a frightening effect. In europe they have. 140 euro (7.000 baht) in the Netherlands for just making a mobile phone call in the car not hands free . . . If it would be 5 or 10 euro no one would care . . .

Maybe the amounts I proposed were a bit hight for arguments sake, but right now no one seems to care about this here, and laws that prohibit drinking and driving exist here too . . . Nothing to do with a police state and even less with W2 to enforce the law and punish those that endanger others willingly!

Utterly ridiculous new rule, so someone above 18 is considered "adult", but apparently not adult enough to drink an alcoholic beverage. This really makes me laugh, I wonder who thinks of something like this, some pencil pusher, who has nothing to do all day, or a sane person, if it's the latter I'm really worried.

Of course the enforcement of this new rule will be non existing I would think.

Sorry, I don't get that. My point was ands is that penalties must have a frightening effect.

Right, you don't get it even though you seem to understand fear (frightening).

Unless you and the other billions who don't think about consequences start to think about them we will all end up with a planet of police states.

18-25 isnt an adult? :D Not going to happen, this will only make the problem worse. If they can't enforce now - the numbers alone will tell you that it will be worse off than it is now.

BTW you notice the sale, no mention of consumption. :o

Education, not banning sales is the answer. I'd like to see a curfew for those under 18 say after 9pm without a parent.

It could be a very elegant way... to boost bar activity !

:D

Impossible to buy a liter of booze in 7/11. But you are welcome to get pissed at RCA (before 2 AM of course).

That's brillant.

More seriously, you put the finger on something weird. This is why we need further information. As usual, it could be a problem of reporting.

On another hand... it could be applied both to sale and consumption.

Just maybe the new government are looking at things long term.

This age group are the future role models for the very young and are therefore very important regarding social habits according to THAI culture.

If they continue to drink in ways not benificial to society as a whole then the younger ones will only do the same.

I think it,s about restoring respect for society and again Thai culture at it,s best.

If i am allowed to go off topic a little, although it is relevant to social behaviour and society.

There is another thread ongoing which you may find interesting regarding the role of the younger generations and how they can influence the development of Thailand and it,s future.

Thailand To Seize Thaksins Assets

For me this thread has been allowed to develop into a good debate and while not now sticking to the title it has been left to expand due to the sharing of views with an obvious interest in the future of the rural areas.

The young and in particular this age group have a significant role to play going forward.

For me this thread signifies how debate should be developed on the more serious future and the implications of law and order.

Credit to the major posters for keeping the interest going. :o

Both threads in my view are equally important for the much needed changes to go forward and the excessive drinking in rural areas effect all of us and our childrens futures big time if it is not sorted out.

In my humble opinion of course.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

More seriously, you put the finger on something weird. This is why we need further information. As usual, it could be a problem of reporting.

Thai law is weird - consumption is 18. So I can legally buy an 18yr old a drink and its legal for them to drink. :D

Anyways this is just another bad idea from someone opening their gobs before they thought about it.

This law hasn't been enacted yet and the booze sellers are vowing to fight the ban of ads. What will they do when they see this? Of course everyone will drink moonshine lao whiskey and go blind. The US prohibition was a complete failure. Both for booze and drugs.

Exactly. Why is Thaivisa sending out emails saying "Minimum Age Raised To 25 For Buyers Of Booze"

When it is not true. It is proposed, possibly going to happen but not law now. Please don't send out emails that false in their claim (but I still love you guys).

I am not a fan of banning all alkee advertising but its not a huge deal, raising the age 5 years is ridiculous.

"If they can’t do it in the USA, then certainly not Thailand. "

John K, did you put yourself in a trance? The drinking age in the US is 21, and no attempt has been made to raise it to 25. When a couple states refused to raise the drinking age to 21, the US government threatened to halt federal road funds...and the 2 offending states quickly complied.

If "education" worked, no one in the US would smoke, drink, practice unsafe sex, take drugs, or drive without a seatbelt. If you believe that "education" will work in Thailand, you are mistakened.

Smoking in the US dropped 25% in the past 8 years, simply because the price of cigarettes has climbed substantially. Education didn't cause anyone to forego smoking.

I'm was amused that so many middle-aged white guys are so very concerned about the increased drinking age in Thailand. Then I realized that the women in the age group you prefer would probably remian sober, decreasing your chances for a date.

I personally believe the proposed raising of the age to 25 is an excercise in futility and will not make a scrap of difference.

IMHO, yes it is a daft move if it goes through, but not quite as imbecilic as restricting alcohol sales in retail outlets during the day.

That law must have been dreamt up by a paralytic 'recovering' alcoholic during a guilt trip... :o

BTW you notice the sale, no mention of consumption. :D

It could be a very elegant way... to boost bar activity !

:D

Impossible to buy a liter of booze in 7/11. But you are welcome to get pissed at RCA (before 2 AM of course).

That's brillant.

I think you will find that it is a 2 way law as one without the other is counter productive.

It does mention the word consumption at the beginning and at the end of the article and it would appear to indicate both will be targetted in the proposed law. :D

Is there a legal age requirement for using premises, especially the disco,s, if not then who knows either way.

All will be revealed on Monday then maybe yet another thread will be started on the full implications of any new laws. :o

P.S.

Haven,t heard the word paralytic for many a year Noel, thanks for the memory jolt..

Edited by marshbags

Probably WILL save quite a few young souls from the road to alcoholism on one hand.

yes, a couple decades back here in the USA, we raised our minimum drinking age from 18 to 21, and now we have no alcoholics, no drunk driving accidents, and no alcohol related problems. it's worked like a charm.

we just made a rule and our of our problems went away.

we don't even have a President who spent his 20s and 30s in a drunken stupor and admits to being a recovering alcoholic.

Now they let off steam by shooting each other :o

Is there a legal age requirement for using premises, especially the disco,s

Yes. It is 20 and striclty enforced in Bangkok discos. Patrons are required to show their national id card at the entrances. Farangs are waved through however. That's how it's worked for about 5 years, before this the controls weren't in place and the disco crowds were younger.

I am interested to see if they will raise the disco minimum age to 25. Just look, they created the worlds highest drinking age. I wouldn't put it past them to add no entry to night spots so it can be enforced. Otherwise it just won't work; 20 year olds will just make sure their is a 25 year old in their group who orders the bottle or money under the table to someone at the next table over. Speculating whether to enter bars, patrons, staff and even bargirls now need to be 25 is not out of the question as it fits with the irrational nature of all the other rules.

I don't post very often, but I am posting on this topic as it is very annoying to see such stupid thinking.

This is not just a dig at Thailand as it happens in every government.

Ok so there is a 15, 16 or 17 yo that goes out drinking Friday and Saturday nights; the legal age was 18 (I think, but it doesn't matter).

The fact is this person is ALREADY consuming alcohol.

Do the government really think that person is going to re-think and say well now I am 8-10 years away from being allowed to drink, I'd better stop!!!

If they want to stop underage drinking (which is a great idea) then target underage drinking.

Now what they have done is dramatically INCREASE underage drinking!!!

As far as the back-packers are concerned; Thailand made it quite clear with all their new visa laws, they don't want back-packers, young or budget tourists. (It was quoted in one of the earlier Visa posts about 4 weeks ago).

Once again a government with good ideas, but going about it all the wrong way!

(Give them a little credit, at least they had a good idea to start with)

I've probably had this rant in another topic but here goes again.

The drinking problem has nothing whatsoever to do with age: The problem is price. A bottle of meh khong costs the same as, or sometimes less than, a beer in your average bar or resturaunt. Most the Thai people I've met would prefer to be drinking beer, but they cannot afford to so they drink whisky; and they drink whiskey in the same way we'd drink beer! Getting through 2 or 3 bottles in a night, sometimes drinking it neat from the bottle.

If you want to solve the problem relax tax on beer and increase it on spirits.

The drinking problem has nothing whatsoever to do with age: The problem is price. A bottle of meh khong costs the same as, or sometimes less than, a beer in your average bar or resturaunt. Most the Thai people I've met would prefer to be drinking beer, but they cannot afford to so they drink whisky; and they drink whiskey in the same way we'd drink beer! Getting through 2 or 3 bottles in a night, sometimes drinking it neat from the bottle.

I go for that, it makes sense to me.

I go for that, it makes sense to me.

Yes, but I'm not agree with all.

Many Thais want to drink the softer one of beer than the cheapest one with x % vol. In my experience they're very well informed enough about the danger from this strongest beer they can puy in every shop.

IMO they would (and many do) like to pay a bit more for a bottle beer for sure it's a bit healthlier for them.

Edited by eugengeri