Extending Travel Insurance

POMCHOB

HI and Season Greetings to all the forum Members,

I would like to Extend my Travel Insurance by couple of months i am a UK Citizen .

I took out the Travel insurance before leaving the uk and it runs out mid Jan 2016,

i was wondering how to go about this ,can i apply online in Thailand to do this? I'm aware

the policy needs to start from my origin country but is it possible to extend insurance while in Thailand?

Thanks for any replies.

POMCHOB

What i was trying to find out was other forum members experience of extending a UK Based insurance policy without having to return to the UK,

and i may like to use another Insurance company .

Please do not suggest contacting the original Insurance company, that I have already considered, but I am looking for alternate ideas/methods available.

POMCHOB

In the UK you must have been resident for 6 months prior to taking a policy out, on saying that I managed to have another year this time. The underwriters agreed to cover me possibly because I hadn't made a claim the previous year. I don't think any UK Insurance company would extend your insurance when you are abroad, I tried a few years ago but Aviva said no, in the end I used a company called Worldwide Insurance but it was well over a £100 for the first month but reduced to around £75 the second month, it also depends how old you are as well.

You can buy travel insurance online, e.g. MoneySuperMarket

But you have to carefully read the Policy Wording; some specify you have to be in the UK before cover starts. Don’t even think of misleading them because in the event of you making a claim they will usually ask to see flight tickets etc.

The safest option is find a quote you like, and then email the company directly. One of them will want to take your money.

In the UK you must have been resident for 6 months prior to taking a policy out, on saying that I managed to have another year this time. The underwriters agreed to cover me possibly because I hadn't made a claim the previous year. I don't think any UK Insurance company would extend your insurance when you are abroad, I tried a few years ago but Aviva said no, in the end I used a company called Worldwide Insurance but it was well over a £100 for the first month but reduced to around £75 the second month, it also depends how old you are as well.

Hi Jamie 2009

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post with a serious reply and sharing your thoughts and experienced views on this subject.

which is very much appreciated too and thanks for the including an insurance company name too..

Happy New Year

From POMCHOB

You can buy travel insurance online, e.g. MoneySuperMarket

But you have to carefully read the Policy Wording; some specify you have to be in the UK before cover starts. Don’t even think of misleading them because in the event of you making a claim they will usually ask to see flight tickets etc.

The safest option is find a quote you like, and then email the company directly. One of them will want to take your money.

HI Nbarch,

Thank-you for your serious reply and sharing your thoughts which is much appreciated.

Happy New Year,

POMCHOB

I have used UK travel Insurance, and the ones I have used have all stated that the insured must be a UK resident, be registered with a local Doctor etc and the policy is taken out BEFORE travel commences.

Hi CharlieH,

Thanks for you kind input to my question on Insurance ,its something i haven't really considered in the past, extending or renewing, so its good to get some experienced views from the forum members.

Happy New Year,

POMCHOB

Addresses the insurance needs of travellers who need temporary medical insurance while travelling for pleasure or business anywhere outside of their home country.

http://www.imgeurope.co.uk/international-expatriate-plans/short-term-medical/globehopper-travel-medical-cover/overview.aspx

Hi SattahipBri

thanks for the link much appreciated

POMCHOB

Hi SattahipBri,

I am looking into imgeurope co uk website , but i have noticed some of the reviews from USA Citizens in America on this company are rather negative

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/companies/img/

Addresses the insurance needs of travellers who need temporary medical insurance while travelling for pleasure or business anywhere outside of their home country.

http://www.imgeurope.co.uk/international-expatriate-plans/short-term-medical/globehopper-travel-medical-cover/overview.aspx

Hi SattahipBri

thanks for the link much appreciated

POMCHOB

Hi SattahipBri,

I am looking into imgeurope co uk website , but i have noticed some of the reviews from USA Citizens in America on this company are rather negative

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/companies/img/

Hi

The Editor Review of IMG isn't too bad but some individuals report some bad experiences. I had to arrange some insurance quickly and didn't dig too deeply into the company but saw they were FSA regulated and approved and EU Insurance Mediation Directive (IMD) compliant. Fortunately I didn't have to make a claim so cant comment on that.

Read the fine print and do not lie. Insurance companies do not make billions in profits

from paying claims. If you are not upfront they will investigate when/if a claim comes in.

That is when they look closely at your application. Any mistakes and it will be denied.

Just because you pay, just because they accept the money does not mean you are

actually covered. coffee1.gif

Read the fine print and do not lie. Insurance companies do not make billions in profits

from paying claims. If you are not upfront they will investigate when/if a claim comes in.

That is when they look closely at your application. Any mistakes and it will be denied.

Just because you pay, just because they accept the money does not mean you are

actually covered. coffee1.gif

Hi Ulic, Yes you make some an excellent points and like you say should never lie to an Insurance company totally pointless.

Thanks

POMCHOB

Edited by POMCHOB

I use www.hcc.com...but the rules vary based on your citizenship. It is now owned by Tokio Marine. As an American, I can purchase and extend while in Thailand. You can opt for online fulfillment. They paid RAM CM direct, when I broke a tooth. There are some newer restrictions on how many times you renew. They are highly rated, and backed by Lloyds. IMG is also reputable. www.imglobal.com, but a bit more expensive. The main thing is that you won't be in the US and a few other sky high medical cost countries. Some of the complaints are from people gaming the system. Simply read the eligibility requirements. As an American, my home country is always the US, even if I've been here for years. I do maintain a US address, pay taxes, and vote.

OP despite what you have said, your best and simplest bet is to email or call your originally insurer. It is quite likely they will be able to extend the cover.

Your 100% wrong, tried it, no way, what's to say you haven't developed an illness or had an accident before extending it. Policies T&C state you have to have been resident in the UK prior to taking the policy out.Try 'googling can I extend my Travel Insurance whilst abroad' ? As I said in a previous post certain companies will insure when abroad but it's very expensive, but not the original one who you took the policy with

I use www.hcc.com...but the rules vary based on your citizenship. It is now owned by Tokio Marine. As an American, I can purchase and extend while in Thailand. You can opt for online fulfillment. They paid RAM CM direct, when I broke a tooth. There are some newer restrictions on how many times you renew. They are highly rated, and backed by Lloyds. IMG is also reputable. www.imglobal.com, but a bit more expensive. The main thing is that you won't be in the US and a few other sky high medical cost countries. Some of the complaints are from people gaming the system. Simply read the eligibility requirements. As an American, my home country is always the US, even if I've been here for years. I do maintain a US address, pay taxes, and vote.

I had a quote for Health Insurance from a Tokio Marine agent here in Pattaya, I am 64 with a pre existing condition, quote was around 18000 baht but she said I had to take Life Insurance at an additional cost of 12000 baht to secure the Health Insurance quote. The policy was all in Thai, benefits in English, asked why, she said the policy was 'geared' for Thai people, didn't follow it up. Her Business card was all in Thai as well, I tried to contact the Head office but didn't get a reply

I had a quote for Health Insurance from a Tokio Marine agent here in Pattaya, I am 64 with a pre existing condition, quote was around 18000 baht but she said I had to take Life Insurance at an additional cost of 12000 baht to secure the Health Insurance quote. The policy was all in Thai, benefits in English, asked why, she said the policy was 'geared' for Thai people, didn't follow it up. Her Business card was all in Thai as well, I tried to contact the Head office but didn't get a reply

Is there something wrong with doing things the easy way, and using the company's website? Life insurance is included....http://www.hcc.com/

Is there something wrong with doing things the easy way, and using the company's website? Life insurance is included....http://www.hcc.com/

This site is 'geared' for citizens of the States, no where can I see long term Healthcare Insurance only Travel Insurance limited to 30/45 day trips ?

100% false. 364 days, renewable 3 times. It's travel medical, which is what the OP is about. Long Term Health Insurance is a myth, any claims will go on your pre-existing condition list, and there is no limit to how much they can increase your premium. 64 yo, from UK, not traveling to US.........about 120 per month, USD, with 250 deductible, and includes repatriation, and 100K in Life Insurance. There is a number you can call collect from Thailand and speak with an MD...24/7. It also meets EU requirements for non-EU persons traveling there.

100% false. 364 days, renewable 3 times. It's travel medical, which is what the OP is about. Long Term Health Insurance is a myth, any claims will go on your pre-existing condition list, and there is no limit to how much they can increase your premium. 64 yo, from UK, not traveling to US.........about 120 per month, USD, with 250 deductible, and includes repatriation, and 100K in Life Insurance. There is a number you can call collect from Thailand and speak with an MD...24/7. It also meets EU requirements for non-EU persons traveling there.

Thanks for the info, could you forward me the telephone for future reference,