What Would You Have Done?

NoshowJones

I was leaving Makros in Nakhon Sawan, while waiting for traffic to clear,I was on my motorbike as was a young girl in front of me.

I saw a car coming down the road on my right at very high speed, the girl rode straight out in front of the car, I immediately covered my eyes, heard the sound

of brakes, it was a very near miss.

I have always said if I was near an accident I had no part in I would get away as quickly as I could for obvious reasons.

I know now that if the car hit the girl, although she was in the wrong, I would have waited and told the police the car was travelling at very high speed,I

know enough Thai to be able to tell the police that the car driver was going far too fast.

What would you have done? just drive away, or wait for the police.

Unless I had a video camera turned on I would do nothing and continue, after all it would be nothing to do with me.

Being a witness here means very little unless you have the act on video. Even then I would still leave and the video would surface later.

I saw an accident happen right in front of me while I was walking down the street. A car cut from the inside lane to turn into a lot. Pulling right in front of a motorcycle. The passanger, a girl was thrown 10 feet and landed on her helmetless head. The driver of the bike wanted to kill me. Attacked me swinging his helmut and kicking.......

I saw an accident happen right in front of me while I was walking down the street. A car cut from the inside lane to turn into a lot. Pulling right in front of a motorcycle. The passanger, a girl was thrown 10 feet and landed on her helmetless head. The driver of the bike wanted to kill me. Attacked me swinging his helmut and kicking.......

What did you do? Even if I thought I could handle him, I would run before any other Thais got involved.

Unless she was seriously hurt, I'd keep me gob shut. Life here is complicated enough for we foreigners, why make it more so by throwing yourself into someone else's mess?

Yes, I would be inclined to agree with you, but I felt so angry at the car driver going so fast.

If it was serious, I'd definitely get involved.

That girl might not have ever been able to walk again - she'd be entitled to compensation and the jackass driving (or his insurer) would be responsible for paying it

You people talk as if every Thai with a fkn driving licence keeps a 9 mill or an Samurai sword behind the front seats just in case a civic-minded bystander dares speak out

Must be dreadful going through life in fear that an anecdote read on Thaivisa might play out in real life should you DARE raise your line of sight up from the ground

That girl might not have ever been able to walk again - she'd be entitled to compensation and the jackass driving (or his insurer) would be responsible for paying it

You people talk as if every Thai with a fkn driving licence keeps a 9 mill or an Samurai sword behind the front seats just in case a civic-minded bystander dares speak out

Must be dreadful going through life in fear that an anecdote read on Thaivisa might play out in real life should you DARE raise your line of sight up from the ground

CH don't get any likes from me...but here he is spot on...

I know now that if the car hit the girl, although she was in the wrong, I would have waited and told the police the car was travelling at very high speed,

Would you have been the only person to witness the incident or do you assume being a farang your description of events would carry more weight?

When accidents are reported here on TV or elsewhere, there are often comments from bystanders that someone was driving at high speed or driving erratically or suddenly changed lanes or whatever so it's not as if the incident would remain a mystery without your contribution or that what you said would result in any greater compensation being paid.

And in this case if a car travelling at high speed hit the girl it would be fairly obvious from the evidence. "Travelling at high speed" is pretty subjective and why would you not report that the girl rode out in front of the oncoming car? Sounds like you have an agenda-driven purpose in being eager to report the (fantasy) incident and to assign guilt, however noble your intention.

Do you sometimes dream of rescuing damsels in distress?

If the police solicited your testimony, so be it. No reason to run away, but in all probability anything you would say would not be pivotal to the case or in prompting an insurance company to be more generous.

Edited by Suradit69

It's not often I agree with you, but you are right here. I have always made it a point to mind my own business here in Thailand, but there are maybe some exceptions.

Off the OP topic, again. Are you stating that the motorbike driver attacked you, despite the fact that you had absolutely nothing to do with the accident? Huh? Please tell me it ain't so!

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I was once the closest to a rather freak accident: On a windy day some power or telephone lines snapped, came down and wrapped around a young girl on a motor bike like a bullwhip and threw her to the pavement. She was pretty banged up. I stayed there maybe half a minute until some Thai folks showed up. Then I left. In the above, if there were plenty of decent presumably Thai persons around to help the young girl, what could the Non-Thai person have done that would have made the situation better?

Edited by JLCrab

Most of us just don't really care.

I'm not frightened, I just don't care, don't care whose fault it was, don't care if anyone was injured or killed.

As my former Thai gf explained to me, the Thai way of thinking about such things,

Not my family, not my friend, not my nationality, why would I care if they are dead or alive.

So,

Sorry, was looking the other way, didn't see anything.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Most of us just don't really care.

I'm not frightened, I just don't care, don't care whose fault it was, don't care if anyone was injured or killed.

As my former Thai gf explained to me,

Not my family, not my friend, not my nationality, why would I care if they are dead or alive.

So,

Sorry, was looking the other way, didn't see anything.

Stop being such an attention whore, MaeJo.

Personally I would have waited for the police and given my eye witness account of what happened. Surely that's the right thing to do.. I'm surprise pd by the number of posts saying they would flee the scene ASAP, not get involved etc.

Personally I would have waited for the police and given my eye witness account of what happened. Surely that's the right thing to do.. I'm surprise pd by the number of posts saying they would flee the scene ASAP, not get involved etc.

So in the OP's story, had there been an actual accident, you would have stuck around to give a police report and make sure the young girl got what she deserved and damages to be awarded to the guy driving the car, huh?

.. and what if the girl claimed that she was forced into the intersection in trying to avoid your running into her with YOUR motorbike?

Edited by JLCrab

OP, what is your obvious reason for driving away?

Who drove away? are you referring to me?

I guess you never said you did. But you did write "...if I was near an accident I had no part in I would get away as quickly as I could for obvious reasons." What are the obvious reasons?

I guess you never said you did. But you did write "...if I was near an accident I had no part in I would get away as quickly as I could for obvious reasons." What are the obvious reasons?

The obvious reasons are I may have been blamed because in Thai eyes, I am the rich Farang. I then agreed with Cypress Hill who post made a lot of sense.

I asked the question "what would you have done?" because I wasn't sure at first what I would have done.

The obvious reasons are I may have been blamed because in Thai eyes, I am the rich Farang. I then agreed with Cypress Hill who post made a lot of sense.

I asked the question "what would you have done?" because I wasn't sure at first what I would have done.

This topic is getting interesting so please try and not turn it into flaming matches, it would seem there are reasons for leaving the scene, and also reasons for staying.

This topic is getting interesting so please try and not turn it into flaming matches, it would seem there are reasons for leaving the scene, and also reasons for staying.

Who is flaming? Youre reading too much into a sincere question.

Who is flaming? Youre reading too much into a sincere question.

The guy mentioned makes a lot of sense because he is tough guy who won't take no crap and you probably are not.