Full-Moon Party on Koh Phangan ends with disgusting scenes

webfact

Full-Moon Party in Thailand ends with disgusting scenes as revellers leave beach covered in plastic rubbish
BY SAM ADAMS

The legendary all-night beach party on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, ended with scenes that will shame many of the wealthy westerners who took part

fm.jpg
This is the aftermath of a full moon party in Thailand

LONDON: -- These shocking photos show the disgusting scene on beach following a Full-Moon Party in Thailand.

The legendary all-night beach party on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, ended with the beach covered in a sea of plastic rubbish left by those who took part.

The scene will shame many of the wealthy westerners who took part in the event, which is mostly attended by tourists.

The rubbish was apparently left for locals to clean up.

The picture has gone viral after being shared on Facebook by 'Ocean Defender,' who described the scene.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/full-moon-party-thailand-ends-7083649

-- MIrror 2015-12-29

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you've ever been to the full moon parties you would know that bins on / next to the beach are almost non existent.

And moving freely to find one through 1000's of people is no easy task.

I've seen whole families of Thais and other Asian tourists simply leave all their litter on a beach when they pack up snd move on home. Actually walking past bins as they make their way off.

Not excusing the mess from the picture, but demonizing all foreign partygoers for wholesale pollution is not really fair tbh

Uninformed article. While I do agree any kind of environmental mess is appalling, what do you expect when you willing pack 25k people onto a slim strip of beach? It also that each of these party goers paid 200 baht which pays for beach to be cleaned the following morning. It's typically spotless the following afternoon.

It's about time to put an end to this free for all stupidity and disregards of human and Thai values

that have going on for many years, plenty of complaints but no dose any thing about it...

Allow this to continue but in a fenced area and a admission's fee to cover medical emergencies

provided on site, paying for guards and for the massive clean up afterword, now days, surly

a back packer can afford the 100 or so baht to cover those expenses as it is for safety and

order for everybody...

Reminds me of a comment I heard some years ago which almost suggested tourists arrived at swampy with suitcases filled with empty beer bottles, cans, plastic and all other types of consumer trash specifically to dump them here. I actually believe they buy these containers when full and somewhat over-priced.

I have also passed through an 'island' of floating garbage en-route to Koh Tao and I very much doubt the last boatload of tourists put that there.

Who in the right mind would even consider reading the Mirror?

The headlines look like they would be written by a Thai or Filipino.
The article reads like it has been written by a primary school kid.
The picture is stolen.
The whole story is just crap and badly researched.

BTW - in 1985 there was no Full Moon Parties on Koh Phangan,
in fact, there was no parties at all at that time.

If you've ever been to the full moon parties you would know that bins on / next to the beach are almost non existent.

And moving freely to find one through 1000's of people is no easy task.

I've seen whole families of Thais and other Asian tourists simply leave all their litter on a beach when they pack up snd move on home. Actually walking past bins as they make their way off.

Not excusing the mess from the picture, but demonizing all foreign partygoers for wholesale pollution is not really fair tbh

Look it is not pretty, there should be better behavior and use/availability of more rubbish bins.

As for leaving the locals to clean up. Tourists pay an entry fee to enter Had Rin and entry to the Party.

The public beach is being used by locals to make money, and ultimately work.

It is their responsibility primarily that this sort of thing is better catered for.

It's about time to put an end to this free for all stupidity and disregards of human and Thai values

that have going on for many years, plenty of complaints but no dose any thing about it...

Allow this to continue but in a fenced area and a admission's fee to cover medical emergencies

provided on site, paying for guards and for the massive clean up afterword, now days, surly

a back packer can afford the 100 or so baht to cover those expenses as it is for safety and

order for everybody...

There is a charge for entry to the parties to cover this as you enter Haad Rin.

It's the original story that is deflecting the blame solely to foreigners.

It is the locals business and it is a mess on many levels.

'Wealthy westerners'.

Most backpackers I have met live on a shoestring budget.

I agree, however, the view here is that if you can afford the roundtrip airfare, and time spent, you are indeed much wealthier than the majority of Thais.

I do no know if that is a valid conclusion but perseption is reality,

They are all making money out of these parties, you need to put some back for the clean up.

There's a Thai saying: " What elephant put in mouth already, he never give back". The only reason it's spotless the following afternoon, is that there is new money to be made on the empties.

Folks, you are untitled to your (xenophobic) opinions, but not your own facts.

This obscene mess is via Foreigners.

You can stuff that fact in your "Thai Bad, Foreigner Good" washing machine and let it run all day .. but the facts remain the same.

It is always a moment of laughter to stop by and read these postings with the realization of what vile vitriol I would have to wade through if this was from a Thai event.

Don't worry lads, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch, I only stopped by to see how this will eventually become the fault of Thai people and the Foreigners are helpless victims.

Foreigners go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Thai People ... Typical Thai Visa.

Speaking of trash ... please proceed with your postings, the day is young and I predict that by sundown, this forum will be in agreement that that mess on the beach, is the fault of Thai People.

Typical Foreigners.

order for everybody...

You just open a complete new can of worms by mentioning "Thai Values"

Maybe we could have some clarification on what they are?

Well, don't worry, even Thai Clarifications are of low value.

Yes it's a ghastly site but what could they do with it during the so called party?

As already stated here Thai people are very litter prone.

I once had a Thai throw a bag of junk food boxes etc out their car window.

It all landed on my windscreen!

You can stuff that fact in your "Thai Bad, Foreigner Good" washing machine and let it run all day .. but the facts remain the same.

It is always a moment of laughter to stop by and read these postings with the realization of what vile vitriol I would have to wade through if this was from a Thai event.

Don't worry lads, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch, I only stopped by to see how this will eventually become the fault of Thai people and the Foreigners are helpless victims.

Foreigners go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Thai People ... Typical Thai Visa.

Speaking of trash ... please proceed with your postings, the day is young and I predict that by sundown, this forum will be in agreement that that mess on the beach, is the fault of Thai People.

Typical Foreigners.

Obviously, you haven't been too any Full Moon Party otherwise you would have said

Foreigners AND Thais go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Farang People ... Typical Thai.

Laughable article.

Look at the garbage on "my" beach in a small village on the mainland. No Full Moon Parties, no tourists, but the beach looks very similar.

Garbage without end, tons of it plus tar/oil from some ships. Thai ships probably.

Take a look at our Wednsday market, our Walkinhg street, our Sunday market. Even after cleaning there is plenty of garbage left just like left and right of the sois, street and roads all over Thailand.

I collected hundreds of kilos of garbage from the beach and from the road just to be bemused by Thai onlookers.

Wake up Sam Adams.

If anyone is to blame, I would put the blame at the council.

Although they do charge for Beach Clean Up, it's mostly done

by volunteers.

Travel through Thailand and you come across many very beautiful

maintained villages in the poorest parts of the country and here

on Koh Phangan, despite the huge amount of money coming in to the

economy on the island, the whole place looks a mess. Shitty roads,

playground build and dilapidated within a couple of years, any empty

plot filled with building trash and plastic. Although there is daily

rubbish collection, follow the rubbish truck and you will be covered

in trash.

It seams to me, Thai businesses here on the island have not realised

yet, if you want to make money, you have to put money back in to

keep the place attractive and not just line their own pockets

Typical Foreigners.

Obviously, you haven't been too any Full Moon Party otherwise you would have said

Foreigners AND Thais go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Farang People ... Typical Thai.

Perfection! A party originated by and held for Foreigners (where some Thai attend) ... is now the fault of the (minority) of Thais who attend.

Thank You! You cold not have posted anything that more perfectly highlighted my point!

Proceed! I happily await equally absurd "logic"

Typical Foreigners.

I wonder who is responsible for the obscene mess along the roads and fields where we are in Samut Prakan where vans dump all sorts of waste? Not foreigners that's for sure, maybe those pesky Burmese again. Whole fields are full of waste that makes this beach pic look like nothing at all, regularly gets bulldozed flat, fenced off and signs warning about fines for tipping replaced, makes no difference to the tippers. Sofas, old toilets, industrial waste everywhere, often gets set on fire making the roads look like a post apocalyptic nightmare, just who is making all this mess, can't be Thais, surely not whistling.gif

Typical Foreigners.

Perfection! A party originated by and held for Foreigners (where some Thai attend) ... is now the fault of the (minority) of Thais who attend.

Thank You! You cold not have posted anything that more perfectly highlighted my point!

Proceed! I happily await equally absurd "logic"

Pray, who hosts, promotes, organises the bally things and counts the money in the days after?

Although I agree on the bad habit of western tourists to litter without any problem, I have to say, living in koh Phangan since 2000, that is several years that the beach of the Full Moon Party is cleaned every morning during the year and just at sunrise when the FMP is finished, by a large number of local government employed and by a sand-combing machine. All paid thanks to the 100 Baht entry ticket.

This is just bad journalism and a bit of propaganda....

post-58494-0-09069300-1451354857_thumb.j

Archived