Full-Moon Party on Koh Phangan ends with disgusting scenes

webfact

Folks, you are untitled to your (xenophobic) opinions, but not your own facts.

This obscene mess is via Foreigners.

You can stuff that fact in your "Thai Bad, Foreigner Good" washing machine and let it run all day .. but the facts remain the same.

It is always a moment of laughter to stop by and read these postings with the realization of what vile vitriol I would have to wade through if this was from a Thai event.

Don't worry lads, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch, I only stopped by to see how this will eventually become the fault of Thai people and the Foreigners are helpless victims.

Foreigners go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Thai People ... Typical Thai Visa.

Speaking of trash ... please proceed with your postings, the day is young and I predict that by sundown, this forum will be in agreement that that mess on the beach, is the fault of Thai People.

Typical Foreigners.

Obviously, you haven't been too any Full Moon Party otherwise you would have said

Foreigners AND Thais go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Farang People ... Typical Thai.

Perfection! A party originated by and held for Foreigners (where some Thai attend) ... is now the fault of the (minority) of Thais who attend.

Thank You! You cold not have posted anything that more perfectly highlighted my point!

Proceed! I happily await equally absurd "logic"

Having never been to one of these parties, is this an organised event? I would think that the organisers would have to be responsible for returning the beach to a clean status quickly after the event, is this not the case?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irresponsible people with no sense or understanding of culture, heritage and nature are the culprits!!! Greed, shameless western values (such as twerking), and just wanting to have stupid senseless fun are the main culprits of this type of thing!

It is a disgrace and shameful that these people see and the people that defend them see it as having no done any wrong and just having fun!!!

I hope Myanmar or Burma which is just recently opening up do not accept these type foreigners, do not have these type of gatherings and also the ordinary local Burmese understand what nature means to the local ordinary citizens. All "FUN" always needs to done responsibly but the major blame is on the locals who through greed stage these type of parties... I hope Burma sees this and weed out all these idiots and educate the locals on the destruction it brings in the long run...

Folks, you are untitled to your (xenophobic) opinions,...

Blablabla ..

If it was only in Koh Phangan I can agree with you...

removed your glasses for blind and watch the pits of Thailand, everywhere, even where never a foreign tourist will go ..

An example out of a million :

Road 22 between Udon Thani and Nakhon Phanom ...

If there were not poor thai people to pick plastic bottles, cans of beer and cola ....to sell them after ...here , for example

Olympus TG 610 - 2015 october 30

22633184325_4ab2b80b48_b.jpg

On Koh Samui, about 200 meters before arriving the big Bouddha; is that coming from occidental tourists ?

Lumix FZ200 - 2015 october 13

23046118200_3d571fc1e3_b.jpg

This is a totally clueless article. Do your homework first buddy. Been on Phangan 16 years so obviously have learned by now to steer clear of the full moon party. But for those that want the truth here are the facts that will come to fruition after that photo was taken.

Once the Thai's and Burmese wade (and snorkel) through the shallow water and comb the beach multiple times looking for money and valuables the beach gets properly cleaned. Every person that enters the full moon party pays 100 baht entrance. The entrance fee gets you a fairly cool bracelet for a souvenir and the money goes to some sort of Haad Rin association. This group is in charge of cleaning up the beach and promoting the party and events on Haad Rin. For instance the new years bikini contest (of which I was a judge multiple years:)), monthly volleyball and football tournaments with prizes around the full moon party.

The clean up includes a quite expensive looking German made beach cleaner that looks like a Mini Zamboni (the machine that ices hockey rinks). There is no question that after they bought the machine the beach is way cleaner after parties. As for the water there must be a lot of floating waste but most of it is kept in the natural bay by the wave action and it gets cleaned after high tide. I dove and participated in the first underwater scuba clean up of Haad Rin and we were all quite shocked as to how little we got out of the water. Most of the garbage was under mellow mountain bar where everyone is on mushroom shakes.

Myself I hate plastic, avoid using it as much as possible and would not defend the full moon party or Haad Rin for that matter. But, what I am saying is that I am always amazed at how clean they get that beach within days of the full moon party.

Have a look at the rubbish left on all the beaches in Thailand by the Thai's.

Typical of Thai's to always blame the other people.bah.gif

This is a broken record. The Thais evidently don't match up to your superior standards, why not leave and go home then if you don't like it here? And even if Thais do it, doesn't excuse the shameful and disgusting habits of the tourists does it?

This is a totally clueless article. Do your homework first buddy. Been on Phangan 16 years so obviously have learned by now to steer clear of the full moon party. But for those that want the truth here are the facts that will come to fruition after that photo was taken.

Once the Thai's and Burmese wade (and snorkel) through the shallow water and comb the beach multiple times looking for money and valuables the beach gets properly cleaned. Every person that enters the full moon party pays 100 baht entrance. The entrance fee gets you a fairly cool bracelet for a souvenir and the money goes to some sort of Haad Rin association. This group is in charge of cleaning up the beach and promoting the party and events on Haad Rin. For instance the new years bikini contest (of which I was a judge multiple years:)), monthly volleyball and football tournaments with prizes around the full moon party.

The clean up includes a quite expensive looking German made beach cleaner that looks like a Mini Zamboni (the machine that ices hockey rinks). There is no question that after they bought the machine the beach is way cleaner after parties. As for the water there must be a lot of floating waste but most of it is kept in the natural bay by the wave action and it gets cleaned after high tide. I dove and participated in the first underwater scuba clean up of Haad Rin and we were all quite shocked as to how little we got out of the water. Most of the garbage was under mellow mountain bar where everyone is on mushroom shakes.

Myself I hate plastic, avoid using it as much as possible and would not defend the full moon party or Haad Rin for that matter. But, what I am saying is that I am always amazed at how clean they get that beach within days of the full moon party.

Spot on thumbsup.gif .

You should put your reply directly under the Mirror's ridiculous Article on their website.

They should be happy that the foreigners were not all Chinese...they would have more than just plastic to clean off of the beaches...

I can not remember ever going to a holiday festival...anywhere...that the party goers cleaned up after themselves...usually the gov't expects to pay for cleanup...

But then...Thais are looking for something to complain about...

"The scene will shame many of the wealthy westerners who took part in the event, which is mostly attended by tourists." , quote on quote .

Another example of Thailand's inability to manager a tourist industry. I, not being the " Wealthy Westerner" who not only was a vendor of food that participated in events with 250,000 in attendance, the organizers maintain security, portable potties, and Hum! " Trash". The amount or money spent locally should also include a budget for the before mention. Find volunteers from schools ( where a small fee is given to class group or school). In my country Boy Scouts and Girls earn badges for this work. Some large events use Trustees ( Jail Birds for those novices), Also, glass bottles are a no no on a Beach. Shame on the organizers!

1). Isn't it great that the tourist give Thai's an opportunity to make some money by cleaning up afterwards, similar to hotel room maids making money by changing the sheets, emptying the bin, etc...

2). The picture would only make sense if I saw a before picture, heck it could have looked that way for years before the party.

3). The locals could put a stop to the parties anytime they wished; many places in Thailand are controlled by Thai.

I'm surprised they didn't put a child's teddy bear or shoe in that picture ..

Really though , ban it stop it , close it .. No more party !!!

Then how would the Thais make the fortune they do on it ...

No they love it , the ' clean up ' is paid for , plus the returns , on plastic and bottles .

Daily Mirror ? .. Worst rag ever .

Seems the local Thai business people are very happy to make the money from the full-moon partiers, but don't want to spend the effort and money to provide trash bins and services.

Even so, this mess is the result of very selfish, self-centered, unconscious foreigners who just don't give a s..t.

Irresponsible people with no sense or understanding of culture, heritage and nature are the culprits!!! Greed, shameless western values (such as twerking), and just wanting to have stupid senseless fun are the main culprits of this type of thing!

It is a disgrace and shameful that these people see and the people that defend them see it as having no done any wrong and just having fun!!!

I hope Myanmar or Burma which is just recently opening up do not accept these type foreigners, do not have these type of gatherings and also the ordinary local Burmese understand what nature means to the local ordinary citizens. All "FUN" always needs to done responsibly but the major blame is on the locals who through greed stage these type of parties... I hope Burma sees this and weed out all these idiots and educate the locals on the destruction it brings in the long run...

I suppose you haven't been to Myanmar yet?

post-155312-0-25580800-1451356738_thumb.

'Wealthy westerners'.

Most backpackers I have met live on a shoestring budget.

Most westerners would be equally disgusted by those scenes as well.....Is this the kind of "wealthy westerner" tourist the TAT is seeking?

Most of Thailand's public areas are littered with garbage (by Thais)....so this article really doesn't make sense. More for the recyclers I guess.

You go to any big outdoor party anywhere, you will find loads of trash on the floor by sunrise. The thing is that the local council here cleans it up by certain time same for most places. Agree, its still not good for the environment as trash can float into the water. Point being its not a Thai or Western issue, its a human habit.

Let's talk about the elephant in the middle of the room.

This is not a debate about whether Foreigners litter (they do) , or Thai People litter (they do)

The elephant in the room is that the Uber Evolved, Uber Enlightened, Uber Judgmental Millennial Hipsters whose 24/7 whine
about how everyone else is raping the planet but they are a collective of angles above the fray ...

THAT is what is rubbing a lot of folks the wrong way.

I am so tired of people who do not know where electricity comes from, telling me I need an electric car with a ton of batteries
that need to be disposed of ... somewhere, someday ... etc ... etc .. etc ...

This is just a snapshot in time, where, like Burning Man, the Uber Privileged, mostly White, elite celebrate the Bubble they live in.

That is really the rub .. I am actually confident that the Thais will do an excellent job cleaning up after them,
like they do every where else in the Kingdom, quietly, and without complaint.

To you Whining Hipster "Meh" A Holes , please .. <deleted>.

PLEASE.

Folks, you are untitled to your (xenophobic) opinions, but not your own facts.

This obscene mess is via Foreigners.

You can stuff that fact in your "Thai Bad, Foreigner Good" washing machine and let it run all day .. but the facts remain the same.

It is always a moment of laughter to stop by and read these postings with the realization of what vile vitriol I would have to wade through if this was from a Thai event.

Don't worry lads, you don't need to get your panties in a bunch, I only stopped by to see how this will eventually become the fault of Thai people and the Foreigners are helpless victims.

Foreigners go to beach party ... trash the whole place ... Blame Thai People ... Typical Thai Visa.

Speaking of trash ... please proceed with your postings, the day is young and I predict that by sundown, this forum will be in agreement that that mess on the beach, is the fault of Thai People.

Typical Foreigners.

Any littering is wrong on the part of farang or Thai, but you can see that sort of mess every Monday morning on Pattaya, Jomtien and Ban Amphur beach after the Bangkok Thais have descended for the weekend.

Take the blinkers off and don't try to put normal everyday farang in the same littering bracket as the locals.

This story is attractive to the Daily Mirror as it reinforces its readers prejudices about young people and backpackers and Thailand.

This story is attractive to some TVF posters for the same reasons

The rubbish on the beach Will get cleared up and much of it will be recycled.

More important from the ocean's point of view is that 60% of the plastic in the oceans comes from just 5 countries, China, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand. (Ocean Conservancy and McKinsey Center for Business and Environment.) This is what the Daily Mirror could be focusing on rather than bashing one of the few events in this country where some sort of clean-up does happen. Every year at the beginning of the rainy season, the first storm washes tonnes of plastic waste out of the storm drains where it has accumulated during the dry season. There are mile long slicks of floating rubbish off the East coast from every town and village. Unused beaches on Navy islands have a ring of plastic rubbish, much of it from the fishing industry and commercial shipping, above the high tide mark.

on another issue about FMP. drugs+drunk+gangs= is a recipe for disaster ......

personally, I wouldn't go to one of these if you gave me paid me to ...

I agree. It is no wonder that Thais have little respect for these types of foreigners who come here or live here.

European revelers used to go to Spain to deposit their litter and bodily fluids whilst on holiday. Now it is cheaper to come to Thailand to pursue their disgusting hedonistic practices. They should be rounded up the morning after and not allowed to leave the resort until the have cleaned up their disgusting mess.

- For legendary read notorious or infamous.

- I have no idea of the ratio of Thai's/asians to foreigners attending, but it's significant enough not to levy the blame in the direction of foreigners alone.

- Who do they think cleans up @ Glastonbury?

Agree and it is the same in Vang Vieng Laos really a disgusting bunch. Wish they would ban this bunch from ever entering Southeast Asia. social morons.

Oh dear, here we go..... These terrible foreigners causing trouble again, what with opinions on Facebook and now having a good time, ( And putting lots of money in Thai pockets i might add) maybe we should just ban all of these pesky foreigners with their contrary opinions ( It's coming)........... Then we can do what we want without anyone asking nasty questions....... A few bottles on a beach ? Big deal, there's heaps of people that would be happy to be paid to pick it up, and the bonus is you can sell it....... What's the problem ? The real issue behind this post is slowly being revealed........ Welcome to North Korea.......... I think it might be illegal to say that now...... Ooops........ Anybody remember when PTT covered Koh Samet in oil ? Not much coverage there eh ?

Thailand has a world famous reputation for neither supplying enough bins for garbage, nor caring about the disposal of waste. All this article is about, is sluggard locals who have neither the creativity, the resourcefulness, nor the initiative to create an environment that encourages proper disposal of waste. 99% of this is on the KPG locals, who make a fortune on these parties and are lazy and slothful. If there was any concern for the environment on the southern islands something would have been done to protect it long ago.

Archived