Full-Moon Party on Koh Phangan ends with disgusting scenes

webfact

I have seen many Thai people dropping rubbish in the street especially the children who seem to do it naturally as if taught from day one that it is normal and okay. Outside a popular street corner store yesterday I watched a Thai girl unwrap her icecream and just let go of the wrapper with absolutely no concern on her face. Despite the law and fines nothing has changed and the lack of rubbish bins in many busy areas doesn't help. I have seen the some bins overflowing with rubbish because there are so few. Keeps people in jobs I guess but spoils the look until they do.

So I guess to you since the unschooled Thais do it then it is OK for the schooled but stupid Europeans to trash the area also. " Well they did it first" Your comment is a stupid comparison..

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vendors catering for the party would have made huge amounts of money from this event so they should have provided better litter disposal and local council should have insisted on it. Anyway, the host always gets to clean up after a party, Thailand or anywhere in the world... so let them get on with it.

Hypocrisy - a case of ‘the pot calling the kettle black’. I hope that Thai resident is reading these pages and notices the hypocrisy. Basically, both these kind of mostly Westerners and also many Thais themselves need to clean up their act. Stop littering wherever you are, and in whichever country you are in.

The littering is disgusting and a bit shameful of these mostly drunk or drugged travellers, but the complaint is mostly hot air seen alongside litter throughout Thailand. Virtually every day I go out the door here in Thailand I’m always disgusted and repulsed by the loads of garbage alongside the streets and elsewhere. Most of it just lies there without apparently ever being cleared. Go to developed countries to find virtually or almost litter-free environments, where people love to see scenic countryside or clean surrounds and who deposit litter in litter bins, even if it means carrying their litter until they find one or take it home.

These revellers know the litter will be cleared up the next day, just as at outdoor music festivals or football stadiums in their own countries.

The Thai resident would soon be crying and lamenting about the loss to the local economy if the tourists left en masse and never returned. Do you think he or she will be whining about litter then, which you see on beaches and other places littered by the Thais, although only some, who don't care?

Are these wealthy tourists? Certainly not. What planet is he from? Go to Bangkok’s 5 star hotels, exclusive clubs, upmarket shopping malls like Siam Paragon and Central World, and so on to see wealthy tourists.

Vendors catering for the party would have made huge amounts of money from this event so they should have provided better litter disposal and local council should have insisted on it. Anyway, the host always gets to clean up after a party, Thailand or anywhere in the world... so let them get on with it.

Totally agree...

It is not just cleaning up afterwards that those who profit from the event like the vendors and boat operators should be contributing towards, but also policing, security, first aid stations, toilet and wash facilities, and a few bins would help.

Thai's do not see trash only money. Near my home there is a thursday evening "walking street " market. I have noticed the money collector organisers going from stall to stall for their bounty. However i am never able to find a trash bin that has been supplied by these organisers. Fact is, just as long as they get their money, trash disposal is 'up to you'

Thai's do not see trash only money. Near my home there is a thursday evening "walking street " market. I have noticed the money collector organisers going from stall to stall for their bounty. However i am never able to find a trash bin that has been supplied by these organisers. Fact is, just as long as they get their money, trash disposal is 'up to you'

Yes agree about Maenam Walking street, in being hard to find disposal bins, but will say that by Friday morning it all usually "spick and span" down those streets, so guessing someone is getting paid..... smile.png !

Yes agree about Maenam Walking street, in being hard to find disposal bins, but will say that by Friday morning it all usually "spick and span" down those streets, so guessing someone is getting paid..... smile.png !

C'mon - even there could be a bit more visible ones - there are lots of trash bins at the Maenam Walking Street, one just have to look pass the vendors, as they mostly are in front of the bins. Furthermore the are big black bags for trash at both entrance ways. Everything is nice and clean, when the walking street close.

By the way, Thais also see money in trash, a lot can be sold and/or reused - just try to leave a bag of empty cans and/or plastic bottles on the road - if I for example wish to donate my empty bottles to the kind garbage collector in the deserted soi I live, I have to put it out 5:30 in the morning or place it an agreed hidden place, else it¨s gone in no time...laugh.png

on another issue about FMP. drugs+drunk+gangs= is a recipe for disaster ......

personally, I wouldn't go to one of these if you gave me paid me to ...

so you admit you have no idea what you are talking about then.

firstly there are almost no bins for garbage, secondly, those westerners pay for beach cleanup as a part of the ticket price, finally the party is actively - jealously - promoted by thais for the benefit of thais.

this certainly isnt solely the fault of wealthy westerners.

Well thank you for all the emails supporting all those tourist that created that mess, it sad to see the lack of respect for the thai people and their country,

all the concern was what I said and not the mess, well this is the internet and say what you like and know you can't be held accountable.

WELL DONE HOPE YOU ENJOY THAILAND

DO NOT REPLY I BIN ALL THE STUPID ANSWERS

Well thank you for all the emails supporting all those tourist that created that mess, it sad to see the lack of respect for the thai people and their country,

all the concern was what I said and not the mess, well this is the internet and say what you like and know you can't be held accountable.

I look very much forwards to the day Thai people start respecting Thai people.

Not just beating, stabbing or shooting each other because of honking their car

horns or having a different opinion.

I look very much forwards to the day Thai people start respecting their country.

Not just throwing their rubbish out of the train, car or house window. Not just

dispose of their old fishing nets, oil or faeces at sea. Not just slash and burn

agriculture, without any concern of people's health.

I would even go further and say, if western people wouldn't have been in Thailand

and moaned about the way trash is handled, Thailand would look even more of

a dump then it is now.

Travel just a bit around Thailand and you will quickly see, places with tourists are

often cleaner, not spotless but cleaner than many places where there are no tourists

at all.

BUT - there is hope as I see many, many young Thai people taking environmental

issues serious, more serious than their parents or grandparents ever did. I see

school children cleaning trash on the beaches, streets and parks (no, not necessarily

tourist places but all over the country). I saw small children educating their parents

and grandparents about the impact of throwing just about anything out of the window.

So, there is hope, maybe not in my lifetime but in my children's future.

post-155312-0-82242300-1451680184_thumb.

Sam Adams and The Mirror have surpassed themselves with this bit of rubbish journalism. Boom boom. It's a <deleted> all night rave, people. It doesn't matter what country it's in, what nationality the attendees are, or what the walking surface is be it sand, grass, mud, concrete or custard. It will be covered in shit afterwards. Fact. And like most other festivals, parties, whatever, this one gets cleaned up right after. There is no story here, just another example of disgraceful British Tabloid reporting. If you're gonna tie someone to the stake and wave pitch-forks, start with the author of the article and follow it up with his employer. <deleted> tabloids...

Who in the right mind would even consider reading the Mirror?

The headlines look like they would be written by a Thai or Filipino.

The article reads like it has been written by a primary school kid.

The picture is stolen.

The whole story is just crap and badly researched.hu

BTW - in 1985 there was no Full Moon Parties on Koh Phangan,

in fact, there was no parties at all at that time.[/quot

Seems you read this crappy news sheet along with millions of your fellow Brits , so why not ask them why they are retarded.

The picture is stolen.

in fact, there was no parties at all at that time.

Seems you read this crappy news sheet along with millions of your fellow Brits , so why not ask them why they are retarded.

Seams you read it too and had to comment on it.gigglem.gif

Now what on earth gives you the idea, that I'm British? coffee1.gif

The picture is stolen.

in fact, there was no parties at all at that time.[/quot

BTW, accoring to the legend, 1985 is the year the Full Moon Party at Koh Phangan began...wink.png

The picture is stolen.

BTW, accoring to the legend, 1985 is the year the Full Moon Party at Koh Phangan began...wink.png

I reckon that's more of a Myth than a legend.

I lived on Koh Phangan and worked in Samui from 1978 until 1987.

In 1985 Koh Phangans population was just around three/four hundred people.
(You can go and check in the Civic Office). There was no pier, no roads (apart
from a couple of miles down towards Bantai), no cars (just one Jeep) ,
no electricity (apart from a few hours a day in Tongsala), no hospital, no police

station and for sure, no organised Full Moon Parties.

The only way to get down to Hadrin, which was just part of the jungle, was either

along the beach at low tide or a few hours hiking over the mountain. Much easier
was to get there from Samui by longtail boat.
What people believe to be the first organised "Full Moon Party" in 1985, was actually
just an improvised, one off gathering of a few "Hippies" at a deserted beach that was
easily accessible by long tail boat from Koh Samui, without police but a lot of drugs

present. - I was there!!!

The picture is stolen.

no electricity (apart from a few hours a day in Tongsala), no hospital, no police

The only way to get down to Hadrin, which was just part of the jungle, was either

along the beach at low tide or a few hours hiking over the mountain. Much easier
What people believe to be the first organised "Full Moon Party" in 1985, was actually
just an improvised, one off gathering of a few "Hippies" at a deserted beach that was
easily accessible by long tail boat from Koh Samui, without police but a lot of drugs

That's exactly the well known legend, you are telling - no one mentioned "organized" - and the story also says that it was someone's birthday that full moon night, but nobody remember the name...thumbsup.gif

As you were there, perhaps you will shed more light to the tale..? smile.png

That's exactly the well known legend, you are telling - no one mentioned "organized" - and the story also says that it was someone's birthday that full moon night, but nobody remember the name...thumbsup.gif

As you were there, perhaps you will shed more light to the tale..? smile.png

Even before 1985, people went to Hadrin from Samui to see the moon rise out of the water,

play guitar, getting drunk and stoned, sleeping on the beach and being bitten by sandflies guitar.gif

Although I been many times down in Hadrin back then, sometimes from Samui by boat,

sometimes walking from Tongsala down along the beach, I do remember Christmas 1977,

I went to Samui to celebrate my 21st birthday as here on Koh Phangan there was nothing.

No bars, no discos. The only place close to a "nightclub" was the Lamai Inn in Samui. thumbsup.gif

After spending most of the day in Samui eating Mushroom omelettes, mushroom noodles,

mushroom burgers and mushroom shakes, we decided to go over to Hadrin for the night

to have fun without the dreaded police around. whistling.gif

I remember this Thai girl, her nick name was "Frog" who came with us. Her parents owned

the restaurant and souvenir shop just by the pier in Nathon and organised the long tail boat

for us to go over to Hadrin to watch the full moon rise out of the water and celebrate X-mas

(and my birthday) with sex, drugs, music, sand flies and gonorrhoea facepalm.gif

I reckon there must be quite a few guys remembering "The Frog", she was just so desperate

to marry a foreigner, any foreigner and has been quite a few times to Hadrin, so she might

be the right person to ask, when did the first organised and regular party started in Hadrin. wai2.gif

BTW - we did clear up the mess and took the bottles back again, just in case some people

assume, all parties have to end up with a pile of rubbish left over. wink.png

I look very much forwards to the day Thai people start respecting their country.

dispose of their old fishing nets, oil or faeces at sea. Not just slash and burn

I would even go further and say, if western people wouldn't have been in Thailand

a dump then it is now.

Travel just a bit around Thailand and you will quickly see, places with tourists are

often cleaner, not spotless but cleaner than many places where there are no tourists

at all.

school children cleaning trash on the beaches, streets and parks (no, not necessarily

tourist places but all over the country). I saw small children educating their parents

and grandparents about the impact of throwing just about anything out of the window.

attachicon.giftrash.png

WELL PLAYED SIR !!

THOSE ARE PICTURES OF THE FLOOD !

a dump then it is now.

at all.

attachicon.giftrash.png

WELL PLAYED SIR !!

THOSE ARE PICTURES OF THE FLOOD !

What's your point SIR ?? saai.gif

THOSE ARE PICTURES OF BAD WASTE MANAGEMENT !

(Taken during one of the many floods, somewhere in Thailand)

Sure you didn't think those pictures where taken during a drought? crazy.gif

Or do you see a difference between sick.gif on land or sick.gif in water?

So just for you,

THIS IS NOT A PICTURE OF A FREEZING FARMER !

post-155312-0-57018000-1452054259_thumb.

(Taken during one of the many drought times, somewhere in Thailand)

Happy now coffee1.gif

Archived