Alcohol checkpoint stop mostly white people

Rogermoore

dont drink and drive. what is difficult to understand about that?

sorry, but i have absolutely no sympathy with what happens to anyone who drinks alcohol and takes to the road.

So, what %age of RTC's are caused by drunk Thais compared to drunk white skins?

I think the poster was complaining that Thais not wearing helmets were allowed to defy the law and that he, driving legally, was pulled.

Taxi at Christmas or New Year? Ever tried to get one?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your the guy in an other post that admitted to drinking and driving and now your complaining you got tested. You got off no problems at all and you still moan like a little girl. Just don't drink and drive and you will be ok.

I didn't get that from his post. He was complaining that he was the only one pulled over and was tested 3 times. His complaint is reasonable.

He was under the limit, so he didn't break the law.

The disconcerting part of his story was that they only pulled over the "white guy" and let the Thais riding near him, even without helmets, through.

Were you not concerned they tested him 3 times. It was an obvious "commission" seeking event by the cops who showed no real interest in drunk-driving other than what they could make out of it. They knew they wouldn't have scored any cash from the Thais they let through.

I put it into context of all his other stories and his 50.000 a month spending on beer. The fact that he was tested 3 times was not good but you have to remember the alcohol test machines are not all of top quality. They just wanted to be sure. The other remark about letting Thais go, can't comment on that normally I am let go as a whitey. It could be different in Pattaya, but if you look country wide there are far more Thais tested as foreigners.

The helmet thing, i seen it too its a Thai thing when they are checking for helmets they let all others go. I have had them check for tax and they did not care about people without helmets. Its like when they are on a certain mission like tax / helmets ect they don't look into other stuff. Once they were just going after cars here and all the motorbikes were let go even those without helmets. Not saying it is right just saying its the norm.

But maybe racial profiling and money are more common in Pattaya here I am far more likely to be send on my way then the Thais. I have sailed through countless of motorbike checks without them having the slightest interest in me. I even made an error crossing a certain line (that was their mission that day checking people who used an illegal entry to the main road) and was let go because I was white while the (ex) wife in the car was fined and me on the bike not.

It all depends on where you are being pulled over in Pattaya. If it's far from the Soi 9 police station, such as on Sukhumvit Road, it's likely to be a similar experience to Bangkok, but 3rd Road and closer in are often more about "commission" seeking due to the high volume of "white guys" in the area.

You cannot compare the tourist zone of Pattaya with Bangkok. If they're stopping anyone (in tourist zones), you can guarantee "white guys" on motorcycles are all going to be stopped and the number of "white guys" at the Soi 9 police station paying fines demonstrates this irregularity.

Breathalyzing is a particularly exciting "commission" seeking opportunity that makes it's easy for the cops to extract big money in the 10k or higher region, unlike a regular traffic offense where 500 baht (from tourists) is about the going rate. After a normal ticket offense a person is just as likely to go down to Soi 9 and pay the 400 baht, but when faced with jail time for being over the limit, and big fines, it's not that difficult for them to extract large on-the-spot payments. Also, these roadblocks are being conducted late at night - early morning, where supervisors are not looking over their shoulders. "It's party time" for the police.

Edited by tropo

Breathalyzing is a particularly exciting "commission" seeking opportunity that makes it's easy for the cops to extract big money in the 10k or higher region, unlike a regular traffic offense where 500 baht (from tourists) is about the going rate. After a normal ticket offense a person is just as likely to go down to Soi 9 and pay the 400 baht, but when faced with jail time for being over the limit, and big fines, it's not that difficult for them to extract large on-the-spot payments. Also, these roadblocks are being conducted late at night - early morning, where supervisors are not looking over their shoulders. "It's party time" for the police.

Yep 100% Correct thumbsup.gif

Left Thailand a couple of years ago now, after a GREAT decade in LOS...... Been a while I did not check out Thai visa......

I can hardly believe that the MIB are actually ré-inforcing the drink driving thingy..... Doing their job will never cease to amaze me.....

I remember in another life, another century....... MIB were helping people back on their bike after the full moon party to get back home...... Well, helping....

If anyone know the road from Haad Rin to Thong sala..... You certainly can imagine the help that was.....

Had other good and bad experience with the Thai Royal Police...... Not so bad but one has certainly paid his way out of trouble..... No complain here!!!!

Just make you wonder if.......

One thing for sure in LOS .... If you are big enough to do the crime you better be big enough($$$$$$$) to do the time

One tend to agree, i would take a taxi ride back home........ now!!!!!!!

But again, I am much more mature than I was 10 years ago at 4am in the morning, on bike with 2 females acquaintance at the back with a blood level approaching oblivion...... Great nightssss , tough!!!!

I have seen my share of blood and loss over that decade too....... About time the Thai take the bull by the horns but......

The instalment of the law will target farang in tourist area and easy prey up north.......

Good to know, tough, next time around Pattaya will definitely be by taxi!!!!!

Just one more thing, can we ask the police officer doing the test to try it first to prove that it is working properly? tongue.png

they always target fallings if you have not worked that out by now you must be blind you know when you get stopped its because you are falling which spells money

Anyone falling on their motorbike probably deserves to be pulled over and breath tested..

Easy solution, next time if you are going to drive don't drink anything, then you are sure that you will pass their test when you get stopped.

wai.gif

most Scandinavian countries and others allow you only 0,0 Promille, means no alcohol. Don't complain. Drunk driving is stupid. Same stupid to complain for being tested.

Which Scandinavian countries are you talking about?

Finland 0.5‰

Iceland 0.5‰

Denmark 0.5‰

Sweden 0.2‰

Norway 0.2‰

ok, it's more or less the East European countries with 0,0 Promille and only a few others.

Most Middle European contries allow you to have a glass or two....unfortunately

The first three countries you have quoted......you would be pretty close to death or dead to reach 0.5% blood alcohol content. Even at 0.2% you would be pretty well plastered.

Think you might have a decimal point missing somewhere.

most Scandinavian countries and others allow you only 0,0 Promille, means no alcohol. Don't complain. Drunk driving is stupid. Same stupid to complain for being tested.

Finland 0.5‰

Iceland 0.5‰

Denmark 0.5‰

Sweden 0.2‰

Norway 0.2‰

ok, it's more or less the East European countries with 0,0 Promille and only a few others.

The first three countries you have quoted......you would be pretty close to death or dead to reach 0.5% blood alcohol content. Even at 0.2% you would be pretty well plastered.

Think you need to read the post again, hopefully you'll notice/know the difference between ‰ and %.

Only error would be that Finland and Iceland are not part of Scandinavia, but guess that’s beside the point.

Finland 0.5‰

Iceland 0.5‰

Denmark 0.5‰

Sweden 0.2‰

Norway 0.2‰

Think you need to read the post again, hopefully you'll notice/know the difference between ‰ and %.

Only error would be that Finland and Iceland are not part of Scandinavia, but guess that’s beside the point.

Who cares what the 5 most boring countries in the world do .saai.gif

Its not relevant, This is Thailand, and the pattaya forum.

If i do as you folks suggest you will have done me a huge favor will save me some 50,000 baht a month will cost nothing to live here then not thats a smart idea !! Everyone should do it so all the bars close down.

Why would all the bars have to shut down.

You mean from an alcohol drinkers point of view the girly bar affairs and discos and clubs and Go Go Bars can not operate successfully without booze being sold or can not be successful if the patrons drink anything other than alcohol.

Just wondering.

Cheers

If i do as you folks suggest you will have done me a huge favor will save me some 50,000 baht a month will cost nothing to live here then not thats a smart idea !! Everyone should do it so all the bars close down.

You mean from an alcohol drinkers point of view the girly bar affairs and discos and clubs and Go Go Bars can not operate successfully without booze being sold or can not be successful if the patrons drink anything other than alcohol.

Just wondering.

Cheers

You mean you actually believe people would come here if alcohol wasn't sold? It's already a crappy place with alcohol, wouldn't want to imagine how depressing it would be without alcohol.

Just wondering.

Cheers

You mean you actually believe people would come here if alcohol wasn't sold? It's already a crappy place with alcohol, wouldn't want to imagine how depressing it would be without alcohol.

I think that would be a good way beyond your imagination.

Just wondering.

Cheers

Why don't you go have a look yourself and take note of the non-alcoholic drinks ordered at thos places you mention. I bet you don't need pen and paper to remember the total at the end of your investigation.

And yet nobody is forced to drink alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks are available everywhere.

LOL, and you were chastising me for never having anything positive to say... and now you're suggesting this place is so crappy one needs alcohol (or good pies) to alleviate depression.

I live here without alcohol - it can be done.biggrin.png

• 3 months later...

I was stopped at the same check point and all the police were drunk as skunks and readily admitted it. Anyway.. I have a portable breathalyzer to make sure I am not over the limit.. all the naysayers can POKE IT.

Kurt

I am amazed at the personal responsibility of the replies from people living in Pattaya really got to hand it to you but I'm just wondering how many of the people replying drink and drive that means even one beer do you do it ?

SIMPLE...When i drink i don't drive.

Here is an idea, why not quit drinking? Then you would not have to worry about those annoying breathalyzer test. I agree with post #110.

Quit drinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wot, No way.

Some of the biggest laughs i have had in this town, is after a few.

Let alone the, the giggles with the ladies !!!!!! gigglem.gif

Don't give up booze unless you have a serious problem with it.

then its ok, your excused. thumbsup.gif