Alcohol checkpoint stop mostly white people

Rogermoore

Don't drive after midnight, then they can't 'fit you up' no matter how hard they try.

I was pulled at this spot at 8 PM on a Sunday and fortunately only had some wine with my dinner.

Kurt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I think the police are right, seen to many farang who seem have a life of Women and Booze ...who think nothing of riding a bike or driving a car while tanked up.

Yeah because a drunk on motorized vehicle was something a Thai policeman had never experienced before foreigners visited Thailand.

Unfortunately too many drunk drivers in this city , and that includes both Thais and foreigners. I hope the police will increase alcohol checkpoints . And no , not only "white" people are getting checked..

Unfortunately too many drunk drivers in this city , and that includes both Thais and foreigners. I hope the police will increase alcohol checkpoints . And no , not only "white" people are getting checked..

Drink driving is not the big issue in Thailand, its just a symptom of

a far larger disease, People from the west keep fixating on this issue.

what do you think about this

Get all the Thai drunk drivers and all the sober Thai drivers to drive down the road

at the same time, i would not be able to tell the difference between them.

Why ?

Because they all drive the same, regardless. bah.gif

Edited by onemorechang

My God, I could hardly believe your post. You seem to be blaming Thailand for your own irresponsibility. How many times has it been proven, including tests on professional racing drivers, that even one drink impairs ones reactions. You have no right Sir to put the lives of other road users at risk by drinking and driving.

I am in no way advocating drinking I just get tired of the morality police jumping in whenever they get a chance.

He PASSED the legal checks.

You know what is more dangerous than having one beer and driving? Talking / texting on a mobile phone while driving. Do you ever hear the morality police go on about that?

You know what else slows down your reaction time? Getting old does. What is your stance on letting old people drive?

Why are Cyclists exempt,,they cause accidents then piss off quick if they can.?.

'Cause we're so cool, dude. Just today I breezed right through a checkpoint on Pattaya Nua, no sweat. biggrin.png

Edited by JSixpack

The post was originally about the Thai police stopping mostly whites. I wanted to say when I went to the precinct on Beach rd to pay a ticket awhile back, most of the people paying fines were Thai....90%.

I have seen both sides of this from the police. I have been let through a checkpoint in Huay yai when I clearly had been drinking. I have also been waved through there and other check points with out them even asking to roll down the window. They saw I was white and let me pass (my assumption) because they were looking for drugs or other illegal things.

I have also been forced to blow into the alcohol tester at the road block on Naklua road when I had nothing to drink. At this stop and the one on sukhumvit in Naklua they seem to stop everyone regardless of race.

With regards to the police being prejudice against Westerners in cars (or bikes) – In my experience of 15+ years driving here I have felt the opposite. While I have been stopped by the BiB at a couple check points I’ve been waved through at far many more.

That’s said, I can imagine the BiB in Pattaya targeting Westerners more than Thai’s. With the exception of a widely reported period where the Thonglor Police were targeting Western pedestrians, checking passport and asking them to provide urine samples on the spot (fortunately this has now stopped),

Bangkok is a very ‘inert’ place to live as a Westerner… I feel we are treated by the BiB with the same indifference every day Thai’s are treated.

However, in Pattaya it would appear that there are two sets of rules – one for Thai’s and another for Westerners - too many Western guys appear to complain that they have been ‘targeted’ or singled out of a group, they can’t all be paranoid. It would also appear so in the case of the Op – IF a Westerner is pulled out of a line of 7 Thai’s I think it’s a reasonable assumption to suspect that he was targeted or specifically ‘picked out’

-------

DUI – As many have said - Just don’t do it. It’s very simple.

It does appear that the Op is whining about nothing though. He’s very fortunate that he metabolizes alcohol very quickly. I do too, (I have a breathalyzer which is just a bit of fun) on Christmas day I blew 0.07 (the limit in the UK is 0.05), while my sister blew 0.12. We’d been drinking steadily all day – I certainly felt I was way over the limit and surprised at my low reading. After a couple of beers I blew 0.03, well under the limit… and a couple of hours later I’m down to 0.00.

However, the Op quoted drinking 1 beer per hour, which indicates he had a few. IMO this simply isn’t on.

I will admit to being a hypocrite and sometimes drive after 1 beer, when I preach – absolutely no drinking and driving.

But to be honest, the law doesn’t interest me or concern me with Regards to my own drinking and driving;

I don’t do it anyway, but the main the reason I won’t and never have driven drunk is the simple fact that I don’t want to hurt anyone.

I will add that I won’t drive if I have a horrible stinky cold and feel under the weather.

Someone mentioned about screaming kids…. Well there really isn’t much you can do about that –however, I compartmentalize and can readily ignore my son, who I know is safe in his car seat even if he is crying.

----------------

I will finish this comment off with my own statistic: None of my Western friends, here or at home have been involved in a drink driving related incident (accident), I don’t know any of my Thai friends who haven’t !!!