Cumbrian floods could cost UK insurers nearly seven billion euros

webfact

Cumbrian floods could cost UK insurers nearly seven billion euros
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_319913.jpg

LONDON: -- UK insurers are saying the bill for the latest floods in Britain could be north of 6.7 billion euros.

Others suggest insurance may soon be impossible for people whose property now floods repeatedly. Some people in Cumbria have been flooded three times since the end of November.

The prime minister has pulled on his boots to show willing for the cameras, but people are now starting to say the government has underestimated the risks.

“Well, we’re spending more in this parliament than the last one and in the last parliament we spent more than the one before that. But of course after any of these events we should look at what we’re planning to build, what we’re planning to spend and think well, do we need to do more? We’re going to be spending £2.3 billion on flood defences in this parliament but we’ll look carefully at what’s happened here and see what more can be done,” said David Cameron in York.

The cathedral city of York, especially vulnerable to flooding, and its surrounding area has been one of the worst hit, despite extensive new flood defences. In densely built-up Britain, it seems no end to this now annual problem is in sight.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-29

Short the north and over spend in the south. Sound familiar??? The seat of power always gets the grease the rest not so much even here. Of course Cameron put on his boots and did a photo op wading through the water but that does little to help the little man who will now no doubt have his insurance cancelled because he lives in a flood zone. I read he was also cutting staff in the EA department as well all part of his reverse Robin Hood plan. The BBboys must have their pound of flesh in this case the insurance companies.

Why quote in Euros? The UK currency is pounds! Please check your facts. The UK does not want to be associated any more with the European gravy train. Thank you.

Why? Because it is European news aimed at Europeans, not just UK.

Why quote in Euros? The UK currency is pounds! Please check your facts. The UK does not want to be associated any more with the European gravy train. Thank you.

Why? Because it is European news aimed at Europeans, not just UK.

I suppose that's why the website is called "euronews". facepalm.gif

Classic government incompetence. Allow people to build on floodplains and then be surprised when it all goes wrong. There's NOTHING unexpected here. I believe the only reason they got insurance was because the government came to an arrangement with the companies, but unless the government ( taxpayer ) is prepared to foot the bill, I doubt any company will agree to do so in the future, and they should NOT do so. Building on floodplains is just barking.

In densely built-up Britain- classic BS. There's loads of unbuilt on land- I've seen it myself.

There is plenty of land in Britain not on floodplains, but because it probably belongs to the rich and powerful, it's not going to be built on.

Edited by thaibeachlovers