Sucess at Last! Opened an account in Samui - NO work permit required

Hi,

A little xmas present to you all!

I posted a topic a while ago asking for advice on opening a bank account on Samui without a work permit.

There were a lot of replies but no-one managed to give exact details of where and how. So this is how to get one!

Firstly you cannot do this with an American passport, but European ones I was told are fine I'm from the UK.

Anyways go to CIMB bank opposite Tesco Lotus in Chewang. Take your passport and proof of address in Europe (I used my driving licence). You simply need to have a stamp from immigration for 30 days or more. So 30 day exempt entries and tourist visas are fine. Takes 20 minutes or so and you will have a shiny new bank book and if you want an atm card (visa) at a cost of 300thb (opening the account is free) You get full access to online and mobile banking with the account and they are fully aware of what immigration need to see with updated bank books etc and seem to be overly helpful, unlike the 20+ other banks I tried.

Feel free to post any questions you may have that I might not have covered

Happy new year

Cimb is not a thai bank, so obviously great experience.

hence why it is easy to open an account and therefore have a thai bank account to show to immigration to get visas, have a thai debit card and your money in thb's

Santander is not a UK bank nor is HSBC, you can still have a uk bank account with them, your point is mute.

Santander is not a UK bank nor is HSBC, you can still have a uk bank account with them, your point is mute.

HSBC is British and is head-quartered in London. It has dual primary listings in London and Hong Kong.

Santander UK is a UK bank, wholly owned by the Spanish Santander group.

Just because a Thai bank carries a western bank name does not make it a western bank because to open a bank in Thailand (under whatever name desired) the bank must follow Thai banking laws and Bank of Thailand regulations...be licensed by BOT---therefore you are a Thai bank for all intended purposes that just happens to have a western corporate bank parent. Being American (like me) should have no impact on your ability to open a Thai bank account other than you filling out a super short citizenship questionnaire and a social security number form....that's the only thing extra I've had to do over the last year in opening two more bank accounts here in Bangkok...one with Bangkok Bank (at their HQ main branch on Silom Rd) and one with Krungsri Bank (the one in the Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok immigration building)....I'm on a retirement extension of stay.

OP: glad you got a bank account open....based on many posts on ThaiVisa it can sometimes being challenging regardless of your nationality and type of visa/extension you may have since it seems to vary so much from branch to branch as to how farang-friendly each branch is regarding new account openings.

Edited by Pib

i had no problem,say's the op.this is how you do it,TELL ME.

go along to CIMB take your passport and proof of your address in europe.EASY EH.

but i live in THAILAND.facepalm.gif

If you LIVE in Thailand then you must have a visa already that allows you to open a bank account.

This is a post for people in my predicament that either are here on visa exempt stamps or tourist visas.

HSBC is British and is head-quartered in London. It has dual primary listings in London and Hong Kong.

I understand your point just as CIMB Thai is a thai bank.

I was trying to put simply to person who was trying to shoot down this thread with no thought or knowledge of what I was explaining that he is totally wrong and unhelpful.

But of course you are correct, as am I that my new CIMB account is a thai bank account

AEON is not a Thai bank either. Will they let me open a bank account? I think not.

I have no clue I have never even heard of them.

The post is here for people who want to open an account.

Not here for holes to be picked for no good reason apart from you having nothing better to do

Just because a Thai bank carries a western bank name does not make it a western bank because to open a bank in Thailand (under whatever name desired) the bank must follow Thai banking laws and Bank of Thailand regulations...be licensed by BOT---therefore you are a Thai bank for all intended purposes that just happens to have a western corporate bank parent. Being American (like me) should have no impact on your ability to open a Thai bank account other than you filling out a super short citizenship questionnaire and a social security number form....that's the only thing extra I've had to do over the last year in opening two more bank accounts here in Bangkok...one with Bangkok Bank (at their HQ main branch on Silom Rd) and one with Krungsri Bank (the one in the Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok immigration building)....I'm on a retirement extension of stay.

OP: glad you got a bank account open....based on many posts on ThaiVisa it can sometimes being challenging regardless of your nationality and type of visa/extension you may have since it seems to vary so much from branch to branch as to how farang-friendly each branch is regarding new account openings.

Thanks PIB appreciate that.

You are correct in Samui it is near on impossible to find a farang friendly bank as I have tried more than 20.

Hence the reason to post as others may find this information useful.

Also it was the lady who opened the account for me that explained that they couldn't open accounts for Americans, as to why I have no idea.

Happy new year

Edited by c1samd

go along to CIMB take your passport and proof of your address in europe.EASY EH.

If you LIVE in Thailand then you must have a visa already that allows you to open a bank account.

This is a post for people in my predicament that either are here on visa exempt stamps or tourist visas.

i have 4 accs.with different banks here in thailand but CIMB in thailand refused me because i dont have a european address.30yrs.of having accs.in thailand so as you seem to take offence of my post, maybe you can explain why they refused me.wai.gif

i have 4 accs.with different banks here in thailand but CIMB in thailand refused me because i dont have a european address.30yrs.of having accs.in thailand so as you seem to take offence of my post, maybe you can explain why they refused me.wai.gif

No I cant, I don't work there. If you have 4 accounts with different banks why do you need a fifth? This whole post has no relevance to you as you already have accounts. So why you are even commenting?

Tbh I think you have just made up that you tried to open an account with them to try and prove some silly point which is neither here nor there.

I am simply trying to be helpful and pass on information that I would have found useful a month or 2 ago. But for some reason you seem to find an issue with what is only is a simple post to try and help others.

Cimb is not a thai bank, so obviously great experience.

CIMB Thailand is a Thai bank remarkably.

It's a malaysian bank headquartered in Kuala Lumpur. It was set up to take advantage of high growth ASEAN economies and operates mainly in Singapore, M'sia, Thailand and Indonesia.

No I cant, I don't work there. If you have 4 accounts with different banks why do you need a fifth? This whole post has no relevance to you as you already have accounts. So why you are even commenting?

Tbh I think you have just made up that you tried to open an account with them to try and prove some silly point which is neither here nor there.

I am simply trying to be helpful and pass on information that I would have found useful a month or 2 ago. But for some reason you seem to find an issue with what is only is a simple post to try and help others.

in your opening post you state an xmass present for ALL not the case.

you also critisized all the posts that took time to reply before.

i am so sorry that you seem to make an issue with members that dont reply the way you want.

so from meatboy have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

oh and being that you asked why i needed an acc.with CIMB when i already have 4?

specially for you its to spread my savings around,ready for if or when they bring in the new gov.insurance cover for deposits.

"HSBC is British and is head-quartered in London. It has dual primary listings in London and Hong Kong."

The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corp is indeed headquartered in London, but to say a corporation that operates in, serves customers in and pays taxes in over 70 countries and whose shares are owned by nationals of many countries is British is a bit disingenuous and antiquated thinking for a mutli-national corp.

I doubt many people would claim Budweiser Beer is Belgian although it's corporate headquarters are in Leuven, Belgium. Many companies move their headquarters to countries that have little to do with where they traditionally do business, many for tax purposes. Thousands of corporations headquarter themselves or their subsidiaries in the Cayman Islands.

Welcome to the 21st century.

in your opening post you state an xmass present for ALL not the case.

you also critisized all the posts that took time to reply before.

i am so sorry that you seem to make an issue with members that dont reply the way you want.

so from meatboy have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

oh and being that you asked why i needed an acc.with CIMB when i already have 4?

specially for you its to spread my savings around,ready for if or when they bring in the new gov.insurance cover for deposits.

"in your opening post you state an xmas present for ALL not the case."

Yes, many of us, even Americans, have opened bank accounts in many locations in Thailand without a problem and without a wp and certainly without all the drama the o/p chose to make about it all.

Edited by Suradit69

Wow, you guys really do enjoy picking holes!

How about the "xmas present for ALL" was the gift of knowledge of what the CIMB branch I went into required in order to open an account. So as this knowledge could then help you on making a decision on whether or not this would be the bank for you to do business with?

And making a "drama" because I have passed on what was told to me about them not being able to open accounts for Americans seems a bit over the top. I was simply passing on the information I was told first hand by the CIMB employee that opened the account for me. I think the phrase don't shoot the messenger comes into play here.

And lastly I don't dispute that many people have opened accounts across Thailand with no more than their passports. In Samui that isn't the case I tried more than 20 different branches of various banks to be told the same by all "need work permit" So to find a bank that doesn't ask for this I felt was information worth sharing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL

Thanks PIB appreciate that.

You are correct in Samui it is near on impossible to find a farang friendly bank as I have tried more than 20.

Hence the reason to post as others may find this information useful.

Also it was the lady who opened the account for me that explained that they couldn't open accounts for Americans, as to why I have no idea.

Happy new year

They can open for Americans,but it's more paperwork due to US tax laws.

Yes, Americans can open accounts, and with just a 30-day stamp. Sure would be nice if some, like the OP, would just quit egocentrically extrapolating personal experience with a few Thai bank branches into laws of nature. HERE's the ACTUAL universal law, and you've all heard it: If at first you don't succeed, TRY try AGAIN!!!

And another little something for your book of learning - lots of thai bank employees running around out there with incomplete training, a fear of learning anything new, an even greater fear of admitting they don't know something, and an almost paralyzing fear of admitting mistakes (theirs or others).

Hello Friends

I do not understand these eternal discussions. It has always been easy to open a bank account in Thailand. I've done this by Bangkok Bank.

1. Regardless of the type of visa

2. Go to your Embassy and demand a Passport- Confirmation.(That's the most important point)

3. Go to any Bank Branch, show Passport and Confirmation and open a Account.

Use the Adress of your Hotel, Resort, Condo, House, Girlfriends Adress in TH or what else.

Pay THB 300 for ATM Card and that is. Within 20 Min. you got it.....................

Helped open an account for my friend at Kasikorn Bank on Chaweng beach road.

They just needed a Thai address and telephone number so he used my address and telephone number.

l opened an account with the Kasikorn Bank while on a tourist visa.

All they needed was my passport details & address of the hotel l was staying at.

l had foolishly left most of my money behind & phoned my brother back in Australia to send money to my new Kasikorn account.

Don't know who to credit for efficiency but the money was in my account within a few hours.

l still have that account & when l'm in Australia l just top it up.

lts a handy reserve.

Yes, Americans can open accounts, and with just a 30-day stamp. Sure would be nice if some, like the OP, would just quit egocentrically extrapolating personal experience with a few Thai bank branches into laws of nature. HERE's the ACTUAL universal law, and you've all heard it: If at first you don't succeed, TRY try AGAIN!!!

And another little something for your book of learning - lots of thai bank employees running around out there with incomplete training, a fear of learning anything new, an even greater fear of admitting they don't know something, and an almost paralyzing fear of admitting mistakes (theirs or others).

Wow another disgruntled American!

Let me explain this in very simple terms.

As my original post said that particular branch I named explained to me in no uncertain terms that they (in that branch) do not open accounts for people with American passports, maybe because they are lazy, maybe because they don't have the right paperwork there to offer the service or maybe they just don't like you.

I totally agree with you that you do need to try, try and try again. I have been to 4 Bangkok Bank branches that refused me even though their website states 'no work permit required' It is each individual branch that decides how helpful / unhelpful they are willing to be

So please 'egocentrically extrapolating personal experience' is not the case. I have merely stated that that particular branch is not US friendly, get over it.

You are making out that I have made a sweeping statement that all banks in Thailand CIMB or others do not give accounts to Americans, which if you read my post in a bit more detail YOU WILL SEE I HAVE NOT. I have said the branch in Samui does not.

once again HNY

How, specifically, do you know the bank will not open an account for Americans?

In answer to your question;

I know specifically as when I showed my passport to the lady opening my account, she said "good you no have American passport, we cannot open account for American" I asked why and she said "their government super safe they not let them, so we not do here" I said ok.

Now just to clarify and reiterate as I have stated more than once, I am only talking about the CIMB branch in Samui. I am not talking about all CIMB branches.

Feel free to challenge this with them directly if you feel it is incorrect information, as it is becoming quite tedious to continue repeating information I have already offered. I am simply telling people what was explained to me in branch.

HNY